Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Passionate ? Well on Batman he was awfull ! How could he be better with Nightwing ?
    Much better than what we are getting right now.

Passionate ? Well on Batman he was awfull ! How could he be better with Nightwing ?
    That seems subjective. And while passion may not always equal "good".. I'd always prefer a writer who WANTS to write the character over someone with a halfhearted pitch just looking to collect a paycheck.

Because Nightwing isn't Batman? Because Snyder wrote Black Mirror, which has become a fan favorite Batman story as well as a fan favorite Dick Grayson story?

If you're not a fan of Snyder then you're probably not going to like this either. I myself am pretty hit or miss with Synder, and I'm very picky when it comes to Nightwing, so I might not like it either. But personal preference aside, DC's biggest name doing a Grayson story that he's excited about and wanted to do, rather than just being handed the job, is a net positive for the character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Because Nightwing isn't Batman? Because Snyder wrote Black Mirror, which has become a fan favorite Batman story as well as a fan favorite Dick Grayson story?

If you're not a fan of Snyder then you're probably not going to like this either. I myself am pretty hit or miss with Synder, and I'm very picky when it comes to Nightwing, so I might not like it either. But personal preference aside, DC's biggest name doing a Grayson story that he's excited about and wanted to do, rather than just being handed the job, is a net positive for the character.
    Agree w. all of that.
    I’m not a huge Snyder fan, but I know he can do good work. If he wants to get his hands on Dick, I say give him a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I'm a fan and it's not favorit of mine !
    He was also excited to write Batman, look how it turned into a mess ! (New52, All-Star, Metal)
    I'd rather see Peter J. Tomasi, Grant Morrison, Brian Buccellato, Paul Dini, Liam Shaarp, Gregg Hurwitz, Jeff Lemir, Ed Brubaker, ...

I like Nightwing, and I find I genuinely like Snyder’s big imaginative way of storytelling so I’m in no matter what.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

He was also excited to write Batman, look how it turned into a mess ! (New52, All-Star, Metal)
    The most financially successful series while it was coming out that introduced things that have already been adapted into other media?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

I think this is a net positive. It's certainly sure to get Dick out of whatever dreary phase he's in right now and is probably the most optimistic I've been since Seeley's run ended about the direction he's going in. That said I'm sure it'll be loaded with plenty of Snyderisms that I'll find it impossible not to critique. But that's alright. I'm down for that. The thematics should be pretty strong. He definitely plays with strong thematics. A little too strong. But again, I'll save the critique for when it actually happens.

What I'm really curious about is what artists he gets. That's going to be a big deal I think. I'm trying to think of who Snyder has worked with that's the ideal candidate here. Obviously his previous Dick run featured Jock primarily but I feel like Jock is more made for the Batmanning side of things and tends to be better used in smaller doses. Capullo could do something interesting but also seems more Batman-centric. Even your Albuquerques or Sean Murphys seem more grizzled and Batman-centric. Janin would be aces but has been more of a Tom King guy.

There's certainly a handful of guys though that are in Snyder's orbit that come to mind. Jorge Jimenez could do something really cool. Jim Cheung wouldn't be bad. Becky Cloonan would be great. But I'm really not sure who I'd find to be the go-to for this sort of project.

I think Nick Derrington would be a pretty inspired choice. Batman Universe was pretty silly but it was gorgeous, and then the recent Zod/Demon's Head arc in Batman/Superman was gorgeous too, with great design choices.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 05-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm into this.

Not really a Snyder fan but I can see myself checking it out. Unless they’re going to use that awful Tim Drake-ripoff costume for the Robin era. If they do, then I’ll pass. Nothing annoys me more than retconned costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    here's certainly a handful of guys though that are in Snyder's orbit that come to mind. Jorge Jimenez could do something really cool. Jim Cheung wouldn't be bad. Becky Cloonan would be great. But I'm really not sure who I'd find to be the go-to for this sort of project.

I think Nick Derrington would be a pretty inspired choice. Batman Universe was pretty silly but it was gorgeous, and then the recent Zod/Demon's Head arc in Batman/Superman was gorgeous too, with great design choices.
    Janin is doing Wonder Woman, apparently, so he's probably not an option. But Jorge Jimenez would be fantastic; he's quickly becoming one of my favorites and his style is perfect for a high-energy, kinetic Dick Grayson story. I'd also love to get Dan Mora, that guy can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a fan and it's not favorit of mine !
    I'd rather see Peter J. Tomasi, Grant Morrison, Brian Buccellato, Paul Dini, Liam Shaarp, Gregg Hurwitz, Jeff Lemir, Ed Brubaker, ...
    I'd like to get some of those guys too. But we're not getting them, we're getting Snyder. And he's a better choice than a lot of the guys it could've been. You might not like it personally (and I might not either) but Snyder's probably the best choice for a high profile Nightwing gig; we know he can write Dick well, we know he wants to be here, we know he's got a lot of pull with the company. Like I said, I'm real picky about Nightwing but even if this story isn't for me, it's almost certainly a net gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Not really a Snyder fan but I can see myself checking it out. Unless they’re going to use that awful Tim Drake-ripoff costume for the Robin era. If they do, then I’ll pass. Nothing annoys me more than retconned costumes.
    Haven't they been drawing him in the classic suit recently? Or the classic suit but with pants, at least? I'm with you; change a costume someone is wearing right now, but there's no reason to mess with old suits that aren't being used and are just gathering dust in a closet. Though I won't complain if they do Dick in the classic Robin suit, but with pants. I'm not down with him in the booty shorts; Gotham gets cold at night!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

As long as I get The Meek/Black Mirror SSnyder and not BWL/Justice League/Metal SSnyder

I want a little of both, oddly. I want Black Mirror quality but some big weird crazy ideas like from Justice League. One of the biggest, most defining differences between Bruce and Dick is that Bruce "visits" that larger, crazy superhuman world while Dick is far more at home there. And a great way to clearly establish the differences between these two characters is the kind of worlds they're comfortable in. Throwing Dick into some high-concept stuff that Bruce would stay away from if he could is a pretty easy difference to establish.

But I'm also well established as wanting a little less Bat in my Nightwing, and a little more Titans/Super. So, yknow, bias.

~ Black Panther.

I had heart that this wasn't an in continuity project, but more of an Elseworlds storyline where it would explore if Dick was Gotham's primary protector rather than Bruce. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    What I Read: Nightwing, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl, , The Flash, Action Comics, Superman, and Suicide Squad

What I Miss: Justice League and Justice League Unlimited TV Series, Wolverine and the X-Men TV Series and the Marvel Comics that got me into reading comics to begin with.

"I can't wait until the 'Ric' plot line ends!"

I loved Black Mirror. Didn't care for Metal or All Star but at this stage nothing could be worse than Nightwings current status.