Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Grant Morrison's THE GREEN LANTERN #1
    Good choice! This also won't spoil anything from Geoff Johns's run either as Morrison & Sharp are doing something completely different with the character totally unrelated to the Emotional Spectrum stuff that Johns wrote almost exclusively about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Good choice! This also won't spoil anything from Geoff Johns's run either as Morrison & Sharp are doing something completely different with the character totally unrelated to the Emotional Spectrum stuff that Johns wrote almost exclusively about.
    So how head trippy is it?

BANNED

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from things these days, but the Grant Morrison run is not bad from what I've read and seen, but it also seems somewhat unambitious. It's not that the team is playing greatest hits, by any means, and I think the run will be well thought of in posterity, but I don't believe they are making an indelible mark on the Green Lantern franchise. It just seems like some stories, which isn't even necessarily a bad thing, especially after those never ending events Johns was doing. At the same time, I don't believe it will propel Green Lantern in relevance, status, or anything else, and I can easily see it never being referenced again once it's done...possibly because it doesn't seem to add or do anything particularly crucial.

Regardless of quality, which I know is very important, at least the Johns run had the spirit that it set out to accomplish something big. You can say the same thing of the Marz run, Englehart run, and much of the O'Neill run. The Morrison run, however? While not being bad, it has somewhat of a strange feeling of casually coasting along. Perhaps it has something to do with how the main character is portrayed, but I think there's quite a bit more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much from things these days, but the Grant Morrison run is not bad from what I've read and seen, but it also seems somewhat unambitious. It's not that the team is playing greatest hits, by any means, and I think the run will be well thought of in posterity, but I don't believe they are making an indelible mark on the Green Lantern franchise. It just seems like some stories, which isn't even necessarily a bad thing, especially after those never ending events Johns was doing. At the same time, I don't believe it will propel Green Lantern in relevance, status, or anything else, and I can easily see it never being referenced again once it's done...possibly because it doesn't seem to add or do anything particularly crucial.

Regardless of quality, which I know is very important, at least the Johns run had the spirit that it set out to accomplish something big. You can say the same thing of the Marz run, Englehart run, and much of the O'Neill run. The Morrison run, however? While not being bad, it has somewhat of a strange feeling of casually coasting along. Perhaps it has something to do with how the main character is portrayed, but I think there's quite a bit more to it.
    I see your point, but the main point of a comic is to have fun while you read it ! Also a good run is a run that doesn't need a massive bagage before starting it.
    While Geoff John's run was well written and brought many things to the GL Univers, I find Morrison's run even more pleasant to read.
    Also, he doesn't bring nothing. In each of his missions Hal Jordan visitis new planets, meet new GL, new speacies, new people, new environmants, new cities, new landscapes, new parts of the univers.
    Grant Morrision and Liam Shaarp have the task to unveal all these aspects/parts of the univers. That's what makes this run fabulous.
    Last edited by jb681131; 05-29-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So how head trippy is it?
    On the head trippy scale with Invisibles at a 10 and JLA at 1, I'd rank it a 5 thus far, below Doom Patrol and Final Crisis, but more challenging than Animal Man or All Star Superman. It's both the most mainstream thing Morrison's done in years, while also being so chock full of ideas and moving at such a break-neck speed that it feels trippier than it actually is. Like with most Morrison, it rewards repeat readings. I enjoyed the early issues a lot, but I liked them even more when I re-read them with a student.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I see your point, but the main point of a comic is have fun while you read it ! And to be remembered as a good run. Also a good run is a run that doesn't a massive bagage before starting it.
    While Geoff John's run was well writte and brought many things to the GL Univers, I find Morrison's run even more pleasant to read.
    Also, he doesn't bring nothing. In each of his missions Hal Jordan visitis new planets, meet new GL, new speacies, new people, new environmant, new cities, new landscapes, new parts of the univers.
    Grant Morrision and Liam Shaarp have the task to unveal all these aspects/parts of the univers. That's what makes this run fabulous.
    I'm of the same mind. Morrison seems far less interested in franchise building than having fun with a character type that is no longer fashionable and channeling the inventive spirit of the Silver Age stories he loves so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm of the same mind. Morrison seems far less interested in franchise building than having fun with a character type that is no longer fashionable and channeling the inventive spirit of the Silver Age stories he loves so much.
    Sorry for so much typos in my previous post (I've edited it).
    To me, this new run is real pure Sci-fy. DC hasn't had one in years. Also with Liam Shaarp you have panels that I will allways remember on the contrary to Geoff John's run that had great panels with Ethan Van Sciver, but none as memorable.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

To me, this new run is real pure Sci-fy. DC hasn't had one in years. Also with Liam Shaarp you have panels that I will allways remember on the contrary to Geoff John's run that had great panels with Ethan Van Sciver, but none as memorable.

Totally, it's much more of a European science fiction book than it is an American superhero comic. Sharp is really channeling Mezieres, to me.

It's not a Silver Age joint, beyond the fact that it's imaginative- but plenty of comic books still are. The majority are.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-29-2020 at 12:52 PM.

This is some amazing art!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    This is some amazing art!
    Yes Liam Sharp is an awsome artist. You should checkout his The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman (2018).

That is crazy good artwork! I don't think I have come across him before.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    That is crazy good artwork! I don't think I have come across him before.
    He’s been a favorite since his Incredible Hulk run in the 90’s, and he’s just gotten better.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

I agree. Morrison seems more interested in delving into Hal's past and reliving the Silver Age rather than "propel" the mythos. If anything, perhaps this run might inspire DC or other writers to lean into GL's sci-fi, crazy, anything can happen kind of storytelling which could lead to anything. So Morrison might be laying the ground work in terms of inspiration, but unlike Johns not creating a real status quo changing building of the mythos. UNLESS, this whole "new Guardians" thing actually changes things.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree. Morrison seems more interested in delving into Hal's past and reliving the Silver Age rather than "propel" the mythos. If anything, perhaps this run might inspire DC or other writers to lean into GL's sci-fi, crazy, anything can happen kind of storytelling which could lead to anything. So Morrison might be laying the ground work in terms of inspiration, but unlike Johns not creating a real status quo changing building of the mythos. UNLESS, this whole "new Guardians" thing actually changes things.
    Well, the GL Mythos is already big, why complicate it more ?

Wow. Looking forward to reading this one day - I decided to wait until Morrison and Sharpe have completed their run and it's all collected in one big book.