Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Green Lantern - where to start?

So I'm slowly getting into the DC universe, I have been picking up the Earth One OGNs and am about to kick off the Snyder Batman run, but the character (and story) that has really intrigued me is Green Lantern and the "recent" univer expansion, with the coloured lanterns, Blackest night etc. Where is the best place to start? I know there are a few Omnibus edition out there, but where does it all begin? With the Comixology sale on, is there a first issue (arc) I should start with?

thanks!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

I think Geoff's GL run should be a proper place to start. He introduced the coloured lanterns and expanded GL's universe to what we now familiar with.So imo, If you like coloured lanterns and Blackest Night(Also was written by Johns), his run is where you should start with
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 05-08-2020 at 03:52 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    So I'm slowly getting into the DC universe, I have been picking up the Earth One OGNs and am about to kick off the Snyder Batman run, but the character (and story) that has really intrigued me is Green Lantern and the "recent" univer expansion, with the coloured lanterns, Blackest night etc. Where is the best place to start? I know there are a few Omnibus edition out there, but where does it all begin? With the Comixology sale on, is there a first issue (arc) I should start with?

thanks!
    Well well well how to get into the DC Univers.
    And no ! Don't kick off "Snyder's Batman run" - it's one of the worst ones to be !

DC it's 3 things:
    • the pre-modern age - aka Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze age (40's to mid 80's)
    • The Modern-Age - mid 80's to now
    • Vertigo Comics / The DC Black Label / Elseworld label - stories out of the main DC timeline and storie outside the Super-hero line

Let's talk about the modern age:

The modern age is articulated around events or to be more precise "Crisis" as DC calls them.
    To get a grasp at the DC "big picture" it is a good thing to read thoses "crisis" as one big ongoing.

For the "big picture", the Crisis go as follows:

1. 1985 - Crisis On Infinit Earths - aka COIE - founding event of the Modern Age
    2. 1986 - DC: Legends - founding of the Modern Age Justice League (and the Suicide Squad)
    3. 2005 - Identity Crisis
    4. 2006 - Infinit Crisis
    5. 2008 - 7 Solders of Victory + Final Crisis
    6. 2011 - Flashpoint
    7. 2016 - Rebirth - You should have read The Watchmen before
    8. 2019 - Doomsday Clock - You should have read The Watchmen before

Then Let's talk Batman quickly:

Well it's gonna be very quick, because Batman is the most complex DC Character and Univers.
    We should discuss that in another thread !

Finally to go back to The Green Lantern world:

Green Lantern is composed of 4 eras:

1. The Golden Age
    2. The Silver / Bronze Age
    3. The Modern age pre-Geoff Johns
    4. The Modern age Geoff Johns and after

The Golden Age GL is a very different Lantern - Alan Scott - He is still around and pops up some times.

At the start of Silver Age, DC rebooted a lot of things (we won't get into that).
    We now follow a totally different Lantern - Hal Jordan - the major GL that everyone knows.
    The concept around the GL got also totally rethinked at that time - it is still the same concept now.

During the Bronze Age were introduced new "Earth" Lanterns - Guy Gardner and John Stewart.
    They are still very important GL in current runs.

The Modern age was a big DC wide reboot the the COIE event as I sayd before.
    We now only follow Hal Jordan again.
    But something will happen to Hal - to read in "Emeral Dawn"
    We now follow a new GL - Kyle Rayner - he is still an important GL.
    Some other GL events will occure and - Guy Gardner / John Stewart - will be re-introduced - to read in "Emerald Twilight/New Dawn".

After that more things happen, but then comes "Geoff John".
    He has big plans to expend the GL Univers.
    It will be the big return of Hal Jordan - to read in "Green Lantern: Rebirth" by Geoff Johns.
    Then will start a new run of GL that will run from 2005 to 2012 - it's huge.
    Many important things will happen during this run - Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Brightest Day, War of the Green Lanterns, Rise of the Third Army, The Warth of the First Lantern.
    Geoff John's run can be read as one big story - and it's all nicely collected in 3 massive omnibus.

After Geoff John's run a small DC Event occured called "Forever Evil" - 2 new Earth lanterns were introduced - Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz
    The are still the current Earth Lanterns.

What GL book to really read ?:

• Green Lantern / Green Arrow - collected in Green Lantern / Green Arrow Omnibus - not important but very very fun Silver Age run !
    • Emeraled Dawn - collected in Green Lantern: Hal Jordan vol.1
    • Emerald Twilight/New Dawn - collected in Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner vol.1 - a vol.2 does exists
    • Geoff John's run - collected in Green Lantern by Geoff Johns vol.1-3 - includes Blackest Night, Brightest Day, GL: Rebirth and GL: Secret Origin
    • The Rebirth run for Hal Jordan - Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps vol.1-7 - Hal is not the earth's lantern at that time, but it's very good
    • The Green Lantern by Grant Morrison - The Green Lantern vol.1-2 + The Green Lantern Season Two (ongoing, no tpb yet) - Hal has missions on different planets

If you'd like Geoff John's run in smaller books because the Omnibus is the most massive books ever !:

Introduction
    1. Green Lantern: Rebirth – Collects Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6.
    2. Green Lantern: No Fear – Collects Green Lantern vol.4 #1-6 and Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins 2005: Flight.
    3. Green Lantern Corps: Recharge – Collects Green Lantern Corps: Recharged #1-5.

The Return
    1. Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns – Collects Green Lantern vol.4 #7-13.
    2. Green Lantern Corps: To be a Green Lantern – written by Dave Gibbons. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #1-6.
    3. Green Lantern: Wanted – Hal Jordan – Collects Green Lantern vol.4 #14-20.
    4. Green Lantern Corps: The Dark Side of Green – Written by Dave Gibbons. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #7-13.

The Sinestro War Corps and the Colors
    1. Green Lantern: The Sinestro War Corps – Collects Green Lantern vol. 4 #21-25, Green Lantern Corps vol. 2 #14-19 and Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special.
    2. Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest – Written by Peter Tomasi. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #20-26.
    3. Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns – Collects Green Lantern vol. 4 #26-28, 36-38 and Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns.
    4. Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire – Collects Green Lantern Corps (vol. 2) #27-32.
    5. Green Lantern: Agent Orange – Collects Green Lantern vol.4 #39-42.
    6. Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse – Written by Peter J. Tomasi. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #33-38.

Blackest Night
    1. Blackest Night – Collects Blackest Night #0–8.
    2. Blackest Night: Green Lantern – Collects Green Lantern vol. 4 #43–52.
    3. Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps – Written by Peter J. Tomasi. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol. 2 #39–47.
    4. Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps – Collects Tales of the Corps #1–3 and stories from Green Lantern vol. 4 #49 and Adventure Comics vol. 2 #4–5.

Brightest Day
    1. Brightest Day Vol. 1 – Collects Brightest Day #0-7.
    2. Brightest Day Vol. 2 – Collects Brightest Day #8-16.
    3. Green Lantern Corps: Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns – Written by Tony Bedard. Collects Green Lantern Corps #21-22 & #48-52.
    4. Brightest Day: Green Lantern – Collects Green Lantern #53-62.
    5. Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors Vol. 1 – Written by Peter J. Tomasi. Collects Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #1-7.
    6. Brightest Day Vol. 3 – Collects Brightest Day #17-24.

War or the Green Lanterns
    1. Green Lantern Corps: The Weaponer – Written by Tony Bedard. Collects Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #53-57.
    2. Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns – Collects Green Lantern: Emerald Warrior #8-10, Green Lantern vol.4 #63-67 and Green Lantern Corps vol.2 #58-60.
    3. War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath – Collects Green Lantern Corps vol. 2 #61-63, Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #11-13, and War of the Green Lantern: Aftermath #1-2.

Then it's the Event Flashpoint and the New52 era - but the GL story continues.
    DC wanted lots of crossovers during this era.

New52
    1. Sinestro - Green Lantern vol. 5 #1–6.
    2. Revenge of the Black Hand - Green Lantern vol. 5 #7–12, Green Lantern Annual #1.
    3. Rise of the Third Army - Green Lantern Annual vol. 5 #1, Green Lantern vol. 5 #13–16, Green Lantern Corps vol. 3 #13–16, Green Lantern: New Guardians #13–16, Red Lantern #13–16, Green Lantern Corps Annual vol. 3 #1.
    4. Wrath of the First Lantern - Green Lantern vol. 5 #17–20, Green Lantern Corps vol. 3 #17–20, Green Lantern: New Guardians #17–20, Red Lantern #17–20.

I hope all is clearer now.
    Have fun

BANNED

By the sound of things you want to read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, which is Green Lantern Volume 4 and it's collected in omnibus form. You can read Green Lantern Rebirth if you want, but you don't have to. There is also a Green Lantern Corps run that often ties in with Johns' run that you might like reading, too.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-08-2020 at 05:30 AM.

This site might also be a helpful guide:
    https://www.howtoread.me/green-lante...reading-order/

And I agree that "Rebirth" isn't totally necessary since it mostly deals with old business and sets the stage for the main series.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 05-08-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well well well how to get into the DC Univers.
    And no ! Don't kick off "Snyder's Batman run" - it's one of the worst ones to be !

DC it's 3 things:
    • the pre-modern age - aka Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze age (40's to mid 80's)
    • The Modern-Age - mid 80's to now
    • Vertigo Comics / The DC Black Label / Elseworld label - stories out of the main DC timeline and storie outside the Super-hero line

Let's talk about the modern age:

The modern age is articulated around events or to be more precise "Crisis" as DC calls them.
    To get a grasp at the DC "big picture" it is a good thing to read thoses "crisis" as one big ongoing.

For the "big picture", the Crisis go as follows:

1. 1985 - Crisis On Infinit Earths - aka COIE - founding event of the Modern Age
    2. 1986 - DC: Legends - founding of the Modern Age Justice League (and the Suicide Squad)
    3. 2005 - Identity Crisis
    4. 2006 - Infinit Crisis
    5. 2008 - 7 Solders of Victory + Final Crisis
    6. 2011 - Flashpoint
    7. 2016 - Rebirth - You should have read The Watchmen before
    8. 2019 - Doomsday Clock - You should have read The Watchmen before

Then Let's talk Batman quickly:

Well it's gonna be very quick, because Batman is the most complex DC Character and Univers.
    We should discuss that in another thread !

Finally to go back to The Green Lantern world:

Green Lantern is composed of 4 eras:

1. The Golden Age
    2. The Silver / Bronze Age
    3. The Modern age pre-Geoff Johns
    4. The Modern age Geoff Johns and after

I hope all is clearer now.
    Have fun
    Dude this is impressive, thank you!

I think I may l ready have Rebirth on comixology, and I'll grab the others digitally. I do like an omnibus, so might treat myself to them if I enjoy the digital copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    By the sound of things you want to read Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run, which is Green Lantern Volume 4 and it's collected in omnibus form. You can read Green Lantern Rebirth if you want, but you don't have to. There is also a Green Lantern Corps run that often ties in with Johns' run that you might like reading, too.
    Thank you, I'll check out the Corps books too.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This site might also be a helpful guide:
    https://www.howtoread.me/green-lante...reading-order/

And I agree that "Rebirth" isn't totally necessary since it mostly deals with old business and sets the stage for the main series.
    I have bookmarked this, thanks for the link!

I have bookmarked this, thanks for the link!
    The trouble I have with the Omnibus 3 is that it doesn't contain the crossovers, thus having in my opinion missing chapters in some New52 stories.
    The Omni are also skipping some other title (because only focusing on Geoff Johns), thus missing again some interresting stories.
    Also bare in mind that one volume of the Geoff John's omni is around 1100 pages ! Making them huge, fat, heavy, difficult to read.

For good infos, look at here too:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...us/4050-79713/

Dude this is impressive, thank you!

I think I may l ready have Rebirth on comixology, and I'll grab the others digitally. I do like an omnibus, so might treat myself to them if I enjoy the digital copies.
    Be carrefull, there are 2 "Rebirth", the one from 2005 and the start of Geoff John's run, and the one from 2016 and the relaunch of DC.

Then if you're talking about the "Rebirth" era (2016-2019) - be 1104 pages again - there are 2 main titles - "Green Lanterns" and "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps".
    "Green Lanterns" follows Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz on Earth - it's ok but no great adventures and lots of repeats.
    "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps" is where the fun is ! You can start it without having read prior stuff, you will pick up the needed info as you read.
    The most current run, "The Green Lantern" by Grant Morrison, can be read with zero background knowledge.

If you are talking about the 2005 story, well if you haven't read "Emerald Dawn" and "Emerald Twilight" you won't totally get the story.
    You should rather start with Green Lantern: Secret Origin !

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I would recommend starting with Geoff Johns' GL run, along with Tomasi's GL Corps book. They start to mingle during the events in GL. Those two books are awesome.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Green Lantern Secret Origins. The universe expanding is Geoff Johns run and this is Geoff Johns run origin so it's the easiest pick.

The trouble I have with the Omnibus 3 is that it doesn't contain the crossovers, thus having in my opinion missing chapters in some New52 stories.
    The Omni are also skipping some other title (because only focusing on Geoff Johns), thus missing again some interresting stories.
    Also bare in mind that one volume of the Geoff John's omni is around 1100 pages ! Making them huge, fat, heavy, difficult to read.

For good infos, look at here too:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/green...us/4050-79713/
    Damn. those are big books! I'll have to look out for other collections, or maybe just go all digital with this series.

Be carrefull, there are 2 "Rebirth", the one from 2005 and the start of Geoff John's run, and the one from 2016 and the relaunch of DC.

Then if you're talking about the "Rebirth" era (2016-2019) - be 1104 pages again - there are 2 main titles - "Green Lanterns" and "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps".
    "Green Lanterns" follows Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz on Earth - it's ok but no great adventures and lots of repeats.
    "Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps" is where the fun is ! You can start it without having read prior stuff, you will pick up the needed info as you read.
    The most current run, "The Green Lantern" by Grant Morrison, can be read with zero background knowledge.

If you are talking about the 2005 story, well if you haven't read "Emerald Dawn" and "Emerald Twilight" you won't totally get the story.
    You should rather start with Green Lantern: Secret Origin !
    Ah good heads up, I'll check and see what version I have.

So I'll grab Secret Origin, and the Emerald books too, then go into Rebirth from 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I would recommend starting with Geoff Johns' GL run, along with Tomasi's GL Corps book. They start to mingle during the events in GL. Those two books are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Green Lantern Secret Origins. The universe expanding is Geoff Johns run and this is Geoff Johns run origin so it's the easiest pick.
    Thank you!

Also just found the multi quote feature!