Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is there a reason the Hanna Barbera heroes can't appear in comics?

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-08-2020 at 06:28 AM.

.........No. [no reason they can't]
    And some have to varying degrees.

Some previous threads
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation-thread
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2019
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Cartoon/page3

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

It's telling that two animated series have done somewhat re-imagined versions acknowledging, and celebrating their existence as a team.

There is no reason they can't appear in the comics. Mostly just an unwillingness to pursue it fully.
    But all have appeared in some form or another, to some varying degree:

SuperFriends used to have their own comic, where HB created characters Wendy & Marvin, and then the Exor twins appeared.
    The Twins were then brought into canon through Extreme Justice in the 90s
    And currently have their own comic.

Samurai was brought in through the Super Powers line of toys and comics (where he was given the civilian name and persona Toshio Eto) , which also established a potential origin for him, and by extension the others.
    And he's had some further acknowledgment and background cameos since.

Apache was somewhat reinvented as Manitou Raven, weather later creates acknowledge it's the same character remains to be seen.
    Or another variation is through the Tall Tree character.

Dorado has recently appeared and acknowledged in continuity, in a Suicide El Diablo story. Although like the others, nobody follows up on these.

Probably the most controversial is Black Vulcan, who is essentially Black Lightning (so DC wouldn't have to pay Isabella royalties). - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1228893
    As far as i know he is the one HB created hero DC comics proper has never really acknowledged as his own in any meaningful way.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 11:07 AM.

If anyone would know, I’d bet on Güicho, he really seems to know those characters really well.
    If he doesn’t see this thread, you should drop him a PM.
    It’s a good question, I’d like to know now, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    .........No.
    And some have to varying degrees.
    LOL! I called it. You the man, Güicho!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    If anyone would know, I’d bet on Güicho, he really seems to know those characters really well.
    If he doesn’t see this thread, you should drop him a PM.
    It’s a good question, I’d like to know now, too!
    LOL, actually most of this info has been shared and sourced by other fans here (much better than me), and can somewhat point in that direction.

Wendy & Marvin's grim fate by later creators - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4002107

Exor Twins in Extreme Justice

In current comics...
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 08:09 AM.

Samurai Top left

Although more of an alt earth gag, here we see Apache, Samurai and Vulcan

El Dorado in Suicide Squad mini - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2484296

Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 07:12 AM.

The Super Powers comic established Toshio Eto....

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3991209
    As well as Samurai in the Super Powers comics (they also added Golden Pharaoh) who are humans with latent powers.(waiting to be awoken)
    As DarkSeid's invasion approaches, the New Genesis "God'"s feel responsible and Earth will need more heroes to defend itself from the invasion from Apocalypse, they send bolts of energy tied with the "Omega Effect" to track and awaken those with latent powers.
    Honestly I thought this was the best vehicle and narrative to introduce all four Samurai, Vulcan, Apache and Dorado into the DC comics proper.
    They could have easily represented a type of four "corners" of the globe sleeper guardians, civilians waiting to be awoken into their powers whenever Earth needs them,
    Just nobody at DC followed up on it.

JL Animated gave them terrific new looks, although made them kind of lab experiments, which wasn't great.
    Young Justice as the Runaways, somewhat expanding on their young civilian ID's names and personas (actually humanizing them) as Tye Longshadow, Eduardo Dorado, they swapped out Toshio Eto for a distaff Sam Koizumi, although I'd just add her to the cast, and they used Vergil Hawkins[Static] for the Vulcan analog.

There has to be a way (and someone willing who actually loves the characters) to consolidate these desperate versions and ideas, and have them appear as a legit team in the DCU.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 08:32 AM.

LOL, actually most of this info has been shared and sourced by other fans here (much better than me), and can somewhat point in that direction.
    Yeah...but youre the face of the movement!
    You write the editorials, you work the talk show circuit, you copy/paste the links, youve memorized all the trivia!
    Youre like...like the Stan Lee of the Hanna Barbera characters.

Astonishing Member

There was a lot more to Hanna Barbera than SuperFriends!

• Scooby Doo...and many Scooby-clones (and I would love to see the return of Clue Club).
    • The Really Rottens from the Laff-A-Lympics.
    • Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt

In fact, there is a lot of characters that could be incorporated into the DCU from the HB. (If TPTB are determined to include Watchmen characters into the DCU, then they could include HB characters just as easily.)
    Last edited by scary harpy; 05-08-2020 at 10:24 AM.

I read the title of the thread and thought you meant these:

They did appear in the Future Quest books, which are sadly no longer being published.
    And several guest-starred in Scooby Doo Team-Up.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Default Is there a reason the Hanna Barbera heroes can't appear in comics?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    There was a lot more to Hanna Barbera than SuperFriends!

• Scooby Doo...and many Scooby-clones (and I would love to see the return of Clue Club).
    • The Really Rottens from the Laff-A-Lympics.
    • Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt

In fact, there is a lot of characters that could be incorporated into the DCU from the HB. (If TPTB are determined to include Watchmen characters into the DCU, then they could include HB characters just as easily.)
    Yeah, but Scooby, and many of those other HB Adventure Heroes were recently prominently propelled into their own line, through the Future Quest brand
    So I didn't think the OP meant those when they asked if "[they] can't appear in comics?"

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Is there a reason the Hanna Barbera heroes can't appear in comics?

Plus they specifically asked about the SuperFriends inspired ones.

I guess you are just answering a different question from the thread asking about those specifically?
    As far as the others, particularly the HB Adventure Heroes and all them all crossing over, I'd love to see it!
    There was a couple of threads for that too!

Links - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...tiverse/page18
    - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...C-comic-reboot
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.

BANNED

That's an interesting question, considering the Hanna Babera characters do appear in comics. The Wonder Twins currently have a series going on right now, I believe, and there have been Space Ghost, Scooby Doo, and Johnny Quest series as well.

Yeah, but Scooby, and many of those other HB Adventure Heroes were recently prominently propelled into their own line, through the Future Quest brand
    So I didn't think the OP meant those when they asked if "[they] can't appear in comics?"

Plus they specifically asked about the SuperFriends inspired ones.
    Yeah, the other HB characters are great, but the Super Friends characters are a completely different animal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Yeah, the other HB characters are great, but the Super Friends characters are a completely different animal.
    I am not certain that Marvin, Wendy & Wonder Dog are that different from any Scooby-Doo clone.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I am not certain that Marvin, Wendy & Wonder Dog are that different from any Scooby-Doo clone.
    That would actually be a neat premise for a mini series!
    The three of them traveling to a bunch of DC Cities, solving mysteries and meeting various characters.