Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Reasons for JL being more successfull than TT,YJ....

Hello,

what do you think are the reasons for them being more successfull?

BESIDES their presence in media and their legacy status....

I think the reasons are:

1. AGE
    I STRICTLY believe that it works better if the Character is between 20-35 years old.
    You can write more mature, dark stories with them, they have a better developed character, more interesting life etc.
    They are stronger,mature, more experienced etc.

(This is one of the problems why I prefer TT with Cassie,Bart,Tim and Conner to YJ with them).

2. INDEPENDENCY
    The JL dont take orders etc.
    This makes the Titans etc. look like proteges and not independent...

3. MORE POWERFUL and MORE POWERS
    So the JL is seen as superior to their counterparts in YJ and TT..
    Bart,Wally as exceptions...

4. NO -Lad, -Boy etc. in the Name

5. Look
    The JL has the perfect looking muscular members.
    I mean Zatanna, Wonder Woman, Black Canary...are kind of legendary for their looks..
    Ok-the Titans have Donna and Nightwing

6. Feats
    JL has just more feats, even one of the biggest feats come from a YJ/TT member (Superboy vs Superboy Prime)

I personally strictly believe that YJ,TT members would have the chance to become as sucessful as JL members..

ToT Rebirth Cassie for example is one example who I think could become as sucessful as Black Canary is.
    Both are blonde, good looking women with martial arts knowledge.
    Black Canary has her Canary Scream-Cassie her Lasso
    Black Canary has more martial arts training-Cassie is physically superior and can fly.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The management of the TT is worse than the JL.

Extraordinary Member

It's not hard, the League simply has most of DC's most popular characters. The Titans are great characters, and a great team, but they're mainly sidekicks of the League, and not as popular as the characters from which they're derived. No mystery.

I think there is another aspect that’s been ignored, publicity/importance to the story.

To explain what I mean let’s look at the upcoming Death Metal event, it’s a huge story that is not only a sequel to Metal but also Snyder’s attempt at a more unified universe. Who’s in it? The Justice League, predominantly Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, Wally West, Harley Quinn, Sgt. Rock, and BWL’s and his evil Batman. Now in all that and in any of the promotion for this event, have you seen the Teen Titans or the Young Justice team mentioned or seen at all? They could show up, but they are in no way being promoted in an event.

But that’s just an upcoming event, look at past events as well.
    Metal: Titans were there but soundly defeated and captured in tie-ins except for Nightwing and Damian
    Doomsday Clock: They were there but did get defeated by Doctor Manhattan very quickly along with other heroes for the rest of the series. Granted that series was more legion of superheroes and JSA focused so that should be taken into account.
    Darkseid War: Not even a reference
    Forever Evil: Teen Titans were immediately dispatched and sent out of the event by issue 2

At no point lately have the younger heroes gotten the chance to save the day, they either appear solely as back up, get defeated quickly and no longer in the book, or just don’t appear at all. I’m thinking maybe we need a big publicized event where they get to be the heroes or the main cast.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-09-2020 at 05:43 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's not hard, the League simply has most of DC's most popular characters. The Titans are great characters, and a great team, but they're mainly sidekicks of the League, and not as popular as the characters from which they're derived. No mystery.
    That's not true because for a very long time the NTT was DC's best selling title

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think because the JL is comprised mainly of already successful solo characters who come together. The Best of the Best, at least with the Big 6 at the forefront. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern (whoever happens to be wearing the mantles at the time for those two) and to a lesser extent Aquaman are all the lead figures in their own sprawling independent franchises and lore. JL is kind of a side-gig for them since most of their development is in their solo properties, but the appeal of JL is seeing all these big names come together. Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman don't really need the JL since they have more than enough going on in their own corners, but the JL kind of needs them.

The Titans meanwhile are comprised of spin off characters from the JL franchises and characters specifically designed for their team book first and foremost (the likes of Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, Terra, Jericho..). When the writing and art came together, the team dynamic worked extremely well for these characters. But it's difficult to send them off into the wilderness on their own away from the team they were designed for, they just don't work as well. Beyond a few of them like Dick (who gets a considerable boost from his association with Batman) and Wally (who replaced his mentor, but has suffered when his mentor came back), most of them aren't popular enough to sustain solos. And there's no shame in that, because the X-Men are a stronger franchise and even that one can't sustain solo series for anyone but Wolverine for very long. it also helped that when NTT came out, it was fresh and exciting. The main sidekicks (at that time, the only generation of sidekicks on the main Earth) were teaming up with independent heroes their own age and striking out on their own. But the novelty wore off and has never satisfactorily been replaced by another mission statement.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That's not true because for a very long time the NTT was DC's best selling title
    NTT was their most popular book at the time because it was one of the few good books DC was producing that could compete with the Marvel books. Because it WAS a Marvel-style book. Once DC overhauled their bigger characters with Marvel creators*, the rest of the DCU caught up and their star started to fade. Also not helped by the very noticeable decline in quality once Perez left as co-creator. Looking at the work he did on Wonder Woman, Perez must have really contributed a great deal to the plotting of NTT because it was a better book when he was involved. They DO still have success in other media, but those stories draw a great deal from the NTT era, not so much beyond. Comics wise, they've been in a rut since the 80s that isn't impossible to get out of, but is evidently very difficult.

Maybe with DiDio gone, it will be made a bit easier. He certainly wasn't helping an already difficult situation

*Not that I like the across the board Marvelization of DC's characters, especially Superman, but one can't argue with the results it got at the time.

To be fair the Teen Titans are still DC’s second biggest team franchise with some very popular characters! Although with the failure of the JL movie they might be in a better position than them.

Anyway, to answer the question it mostly has to do with management and team image. The Teen Titans have way too much focus on derivative, miniature versions of the Justice League members and that alone makes them feel like a minor lesser than team. Get rid of all the boys, girls, lads...etc and the image will improve. It’s no wonder the most prominently used, popular characters of the team are the non sidekicks (Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Bumblebee, Blue Beetle, Terra, Static) with Nightwing/Robin being the exception. Basically,

Wonder Woman > Wonder Girl
    Flash > Kid Flash
    Aquaman > Aqualad/Aquagirl
    Green Arrow > Speedy/Red Arrow
    Superman > Superboy/ Supergirl
    Martian Manhunter > Ms Martian

Want to build up the Titans? Focus less on the sidekicks and more on the original characters.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    To be fair the Teen Titans are still DC’s second biggest team franchise with some very popular characters! Although with the failure of the JL movie they might be in a better position than them.

Anyway, to answer the question it mostly has to do with management and team image. The Teen Titans have way too much focus on derivative, miniature versions of the Justice League members and that alone makes them feel like a minor lesser than team. Get rid of all the boys, girls, lads...etc and the image will improve. It’s no wonder the most prominently used, popular characters of the team are the non sidekicks (Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Bumblebee, Blue Beetle, Terra, Static) with Nightwing/Robin being the exception. Basically,

Wonder Woman > Wonder Girl
    Flash > Kid Flash
    Aquaman > Aqualad/Aquagirl
    Green Arrow > Speedy/Red Arrow
    Superman > Superboy/ Supergirl
    Martian Manhunter > Ms Martian

Want to build up the Titans? Focus less on the sidekicks and more on the original characters.
    I don't know if its the Titans without Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad or Kid Flash. But I agree it should be kept to those few. Wolfman and Perez wanted to distinguish the team from the JL as much as possible, which is why they brought in Beast Boy (who was part of the DP, but otherwise wasn't a derivative of anyone and could stand on his own) and surrounded them with other brand new characters who were unique. And then worked on giving the former sidekicks adult identities, like Nightwing for Dick (success!) and Troia for Donna (...needed more work).

I wouldn't want to see a Super or a GL or a Batgirl anywhere near this team on a permanent basis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    For a time, but I doubt anyone would even suggest that any of the NTT are as popular as the Trinity over the long haul. Indeed, since you're talking about the NTT book, not the individual characters, it's not even a direct comparison.

Kyle's been a Titan twice, and the first time was just after his debut. And frankly it's really odd that there was no Super on the team until 2003 when Young Justice merged into the Teen Titans. Of course since then, Supergirl and Steel II have both been Titans. Silver age Supergirl and Matrix never were.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

JL is more successful because writers don't actively try to derail the characters in the Justice League comics. Titans/ TT it seems like writers are actively trying to derail the cast and constantly rehash old storylines.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know if its the Titans without Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad or Kid Flash. But I agree it should be kept to those few. Wolfman and Perez wanted to distinguish the team from the JL as much as possible, which is why they brought in Beast Boy (who was part of the DP, but otherwise wasn't a derivative of anyone and could stand on his own) and surrounded them with other brand new characters who were unique. And then worked on giving the former sidekicks adult identities, like Nightwing for Dick (success!) and Troia for Donna (...needed more work).

I wouldn't want to see a Super or a GL or a Batgirl anywhere near this team on a permanent basis.
    I'd like at least one member of the Super family to be a regular member of the Titans( Kon technically counts, but I always associate him with Young Justice and his time on the Teen Titans damaged his character in the long run, like everyone else from YJ).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

I think it still is. As long as you have Raven, Starfire, Beast Boy, Cyborg and Robin/Nightwing it’s still the Teen Titans/Titans. You don’t really need the other sidekicks honestly since those 5 are the most iconic and most used in TT media. I’d say fill in the rest of the lineup with popular non sidekicks (ie Bumblebee, Terra, Blue Beetle, Static) or characters that aren’t connected to any of the JL (Jericho, Mal Duncan, Lilith Clay, Hawk/Dove, Rose Wilson, Sideways)

Young Justice should be the team with the sidekicks!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    As a kid, I liked both Kid Flash and Wonder Girl better than their mentors. One big reason was they had better uniforms. But Wonder Woman seemed more stiff. I did like both of the adults -- and regularly collected their comics in the early Bronze Age.

I think, though, that Titans suffered from weak stories. It's a shame because Titans typically had better art than JLA -- at least until Perez replaced Dillin (who was okay, but kinda dull).

BANNED

I’d argue importance is over everything.

Why are you going to pick a book that’s treated as second or third tier group of heroes over the primary face of the universe and even then The JL just seem more relevant and important consider there threats compared to The Titans. Consider the fact they also get events where their at the forefront.

I’d argue it’s why X- Men and Avengers work despite existing on the same Earth is because they can both be seen as relevant and operate their stories at a grand scale where they both seem important without stepping on each other’s toes