Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Johns' Avengers is pretty bad but Red Zone is good.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I thought Johns’ Avengers run was terrible. Some of the most decompressed storytelling I’ve ever seen.
    Wouldn't know, never read it. But I did read a bunch of his DC work and thought it was pretty great.

High-profile writers don't always seem to jell well with Hulk-Mark Waid, for example, had an extremely mediocre run and I've liked his work on many other titles (Although Peter David and Pak are more high-profile now, I don't think that was the case when they first started writing Hulk) Same thing with Loeb, in a sense (although I think Jeff Parker managed to redeem his changes to the Hulk mythos; if anybody replaces Ewing, he's my choice). Then again, sometimes lower-profile writers aren't quite cut out for the character either-Bruce Jones's run is often considered so bad that it's pretty much been ignored, retconned, etc. in Hulk canon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-09-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    High-profile writers don't always seem to jell well with Hulk-Mark Waid, for example, had an extremely mediocre run and I've liked his work on many other titles (Although Peter David and Pak are more high-profile now, I don't think that was the case when they first started writing Hulk) Same thing with Loeb, in a sense (although I think Jeff Parker managed to redeem his changes to the Hulk mythos; if anybody replaces Ewing, he's my choice). Then again, sometimes lower-profile writers aren't quite cut out for the character either-Bruce Jones's run is often considered so bad that it's pretty much been ignored, retconned, etc. in Hulk canon.
    Waid actually specifically named the Hulk as the one character he wouldn’t want to write back in a podcast I listened to before he got the book. He said the character just never connected with him, and you can definitely tell by his run. Don’t know why he took that book but he should’ve passed imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Well he is a self professed DC fanatic after all. I believe he mostly read DC growing up, with Flash being his favorite. But he's been playing in that toy box for a long time now, maybe it's time for something little different. Who knows?
    Nah what’s going to keep Johns from going to Marvel is his film/TV work. His production company has an exclusive contract with WB, and he’s just getting his new show Stargirl up and running. Plus there’s all the other work he does with DC’s TV and films. He’s not doing as much comic work anymore mostly because he doesn’t have time to anymore sadly. Maybe down the road he’ll do Marvel work but not anytime soon. It would be interesting to see what Johns does with the Hulk. He’s got a mixed record on A-Listers at DC. His Batman and Superman work has been a bit mixed and his WW was mostly terrible honestly. Definitely would check out his Hulk though.

Won’t be happening any time soon I don’t think, but how about this? You can have Johns... if DC gets Hickman. Hickman is a DC fanboy anyway and I need a Superman run from him before he fully sells his soul to Hollywood.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-09-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Johns' Avengers is pretty bad but Red Zone is good.
    Yep. That was his standout story arc. His last issue had, if I remember correctly, the death of Jack Of Hearts. I vaguely remember Caps talk with Cassie when she asked who he was and cap simply told her, "an Avenger."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    but how about this? You can have Johns... if DC gets Hickman. Hickman is a DC fanboy anyway and I need a Superman run from him before he fully sells his soul to Hollywood.
    Legion Of Superheroes. That's all I ask from Hickman.

I remember them making a big fuss over Aaron doing Incredible Hulk and his run was just as bad. Then Waid followed him and it didn't get much better.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 05-09-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

I hated how Jeff Parker got treated. When Pak decided to leave Hulk after his second stint, he was the writer I wanted to see get the job. Instead we got Aaron *shudders*

You know, if he actually came over to Marvel I wouldn't want him to work on Hulk, Iron Man or even The Avengers. I would want him on lesser known characters because it's those that he truly excels with. I mean he even made Aquaman a household name over at DC. But that's just me.

Should read his Avengers some day though.
    Aquaman wasn't exactly an unknown, he just wasn't known for something particularly flattering.

Yeah, Aquaman was the butt of jokes. "This looks like a job for Aquaman", they might have said on the Super Friends cartoon... very rarely. Far more likely that quote would refer to Superman! Aquaman was seen as useless.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I wouldn't credit Johns for 'fixing Aquaman but I do credit him for elevating Mera and making his Arther and her a battle couple.
    The problem with Aquaman is thus:

90's: Peter David writes his Aquaman run making Aquaman a King Arthur figure.
    Fandom: Aquaman is cool again!

2002: Justice League debuts their Aquaman; the guy who cut his own hand off to save his son and basically Aquaman The Barbarian

2008: Batman: The Brave and the Bold introduced their outrageous version of Aquaman who quickly becomes a cult favorite.
    Fandom: Aquaman cool again!

2011: Geoff Johns brings Aquaman back from the dead, makes him and Mera into a battle couple after Blackest Night, gives them prominent roles in Brightest Day and wrote the Nu 52 ongoing for the character.

2016: Zack Snyder casts Jason Mamoa as Aquaman.

2017: Aquaman joins the Justice League movie. Movie is panned by people still loved Mamoa's Aquabro.

2018: Aquman finally gets a solo film, makes a billion dollars in the box office despite JL's performance and surpasses TDK Rises box office.

At this point, we'll be doing this dance until I get old and grey in the temples. I'm sure that once the next comic book iterations or on screen (animated/live action/whatever) version of Aquaman comes, people are going to act like nothing happened between that and Superfriends and claim 'DC finally made Aquaman cool'.

To get back on topic: I'm not sure if I want Johns on a Hulk comic with a few exceptions like his JSA run, there is only a handful of the man's work that I actually enjoy. The last Johns book that I read was his Justice League run and I found that to be a mediocre slog. I think Johns suffers from the fact that he hasn't read anything but DC/Marvel comic books growing up. If he can bring the energy he brought the energy he did on JSA, Sinestro Corps, then we are good.

BANNED

Well he is a self professed DC fanatic after all. I believe he mostly read DC growing up, with Flash being his favorite. But he's been playing in that toy box for a long time now, maybe it's time for something little different. Who knows?
    He is, but even in the past he has said if there is one character he could buy out and bring over to DC it would be Hulk, so i don't see this as Johns being interested in Marvel, but rather the Hulk story his had in his head for a while he never got to tell.

BANNED

Mark Waid specifically did not want to write the Hulk, before getting to write Indestructible Hulk he did an interview where he was asked which Marvel character he wants to write the least and he said Hulk, he basically wrote Hulk as a favor to the editor not because he wanted to, when you force a writer to do that when they clearly dislike or don't have any motivation to write the character you are gonna have a bad run no matter what. Loeb didn't even write Hulk apart from a few one-shot's, he wrote Rulk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Won’t be happening any time soon I don’t think, but how about this? You can have Johns... if DC gets Hickman. Hickman is a DC fanboy anyway and I need a Superman run from him before he fully sells his soul to Hollywood.
    He's gonna be writing X-Men for the next several years so that won't happen anytime soon either. It might happen down the line though.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I hated how Jeff Parker got treated. When Pak decided to leave Hulk after his second stint, he was the writer I wanted to see get the job. Instead we got Aaron *shudders*
    Agree about Parker. His Red Hulk run was awesome but totally ignored by other writers later on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Aquaman wasn't exactly an unknown, he just wasn't known for something particularly flattering.
    To regular people outside comic circles he was largely unknown. One Johns run and a billion dollar movie later not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    To get back on topic: I'm not sure if I want Johns on a Hulk comic with a few exceptions like his JSA run, there is only a handful of the man's work that I actually enjoy. The last Johns book that I read was his Justice League run and I found that to be a mediocre slog. I think Johns suffers from the fact that he hasn't read anything but DC/Marvel comic books growing up. If he can bring the energy he brought the energy he did on JSA, Sinestro Corps, then we are good.
    Most of his runs that I've read I've enjoyed; Green Lantern, Justice League, Aquaman, Doomsday Clock etc... Just saying, but then again I haven't read all of his work at all.

Although there are some here who don't care for his work the guy is a superstar with a proven track record, in the upper echelon of comic book writers like Bendis, Hickman, Aaron, Snyder etc. That is a fact.

I don't get the Hickman craze. I mean I read some of his stuff and it's fine, but I don't get the cult following he has. Just not my cup of tea.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!