Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I read somewhere Ewing’s (pretty well received) run will end soon, so it would be a great time for a hand off like this.
    A lot of times you get a drop in quality after a run like this, and the book goes on life support.
    That wouldn’t happen w. Johns I don’t think.
    There were rumblings that Immortal was going to get relaunched. Originally, Bleeding cool said it was supposed to end at 25 and relaunch with a #1. But then they reported Marvel had nixed that idea because Immortal is one of the few books that has been gaining readership issue to issue. Most other comics experience the opposite. However, Ewing has said he is nowhere near done. So he will be on Hulk for, at least, another 12 - 18 months.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Johns has already told all his best stories.
    Got to disagree. His Shazam! run has suffered due to the delays. But Doomsday Clock proved he still has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There were rumblings that Immortal was going to get relaunched. Originally, Bleeding cool said it was supposed to end at 25 and relaunch with a #1. But then they reported Marvel had nixed that idea because Immortal is one of the few books that has been gaining readership issue to issue. Most other comics experience the opposite. However, Ewing has said he is nowhere near done. So he will be on Hulk for, at least, another 12 - 18 months.
    Oh, that is good news, ty!
    I initially had no interest in Ewing’s Hulk, but fellow posters at another site just kept raving about till curiosity kicked my cat. Once I read the first 8 issues I was hooked!

On topic though, I’d love to see who Johns would dig up from Hulk’s past. The character has such a strange, rich history, and so many characters you just don’t hear from any more.

He may not longer be CCO of DC, but I'd assume he's still too tied up with them to casually jump to Marvel. We have nothing to indicate he's free from exclusive contracts or the like; moreover, comics seem a low priority to him versus his involvement with DC's film and TV slate. Between Stargirl, various film screenwriting duties, and involvement in the HBOMax shows, I don't think he'd have the time to do a reliably released run.

Got to disagree. His Shazam! run has suffered due to the delays. But Doomsday Clock proved he still has it.
    Doomsday Clock was a joke.

I can't think of a single thing Johns has written since leaving Green Lantern thats been essential reading.

I would definitely read a Hulk book written by GJs.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Fantastic Member

I only really read his Green Lantern stuff so on that basis I'd prefer to see him work some of that old magic on Rich Rider and the Nova corps.

Astonishing Member

He may not longer be CCO of DC, but I'd assume he's still too tied up with them to casually jump to Marvel. We have nothing to indicate he's free from exclusive contracts or the like; moreover, comics seem a low priority to him versus his involvement with DC's film and TV slate. Between Stargirl, various film screenwriting duties, and involvement in the HBOMax shows, I don't think he'd have the time to do a reliably released run.

I can't think of a single thing Johns has written since leaving Green Lantern thats been essential reading.
    No way Aquaman has a solo if it weren't for John's run. Plus a majority of the mythology he retooled was used in the movie, the tentative sequel, and the Trench spin-off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    I only really read his Green Lantern stuff so on that basis I'd prefer to see him work some of that old magic on Rich Rider and the Nova corps.
    Nah, it would be too similar.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder why he just doesn’t use those ideas to prop up Damage at DC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash! View Post
    I remember talking with Geoff on FCBD 2009 (at the now-defunct Atomic Comics) and man, he LOVES the Hulk. I remember discussing with him in some depth and his enthusiasm was just infectious.

What I remember most vividly--because it was so out of the ordinary--was that his fondness is centered around the Hulk's grey-skinned incarnation: smart, crafty, emerges by night. So the thought of him taking over when current scribe Al Ewing finishes his magnum opus on ol' Greenskin isn't as farfetched as you'd think when you consider that little nugget.

It's just a shame that as long as he's got an office job at DC (i.e. Mad Ghost Productions and their DC associations), it'll never happen.

~G.
    That was also the initial way Peter David decided to go with The Incredible Hulk when he was put on the book. (Which he didn't really want to write,he wanted Spider-Man)
    With the praise David's run gets now from most fans,some forget that there were those who thought he was "ruining" the Hulk. So if Johns ever were available,it would no doubt be strongly criticized as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    That would actually be really cool too. And everyone knows how much Johns loves Lanterns, it very well would be nothing short of magical.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

No way Aquaman has a solo if it weren't for John's run. Plus a majority of the mythology he retooled was used in the movie, the tentative sequel, and the Trench spin-off.
    The Suicide Squad movie was based on the New 52 comics, doesn't mean those were essential reading.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    That was also the initial way Peter David decided to go with The Incredible Hulk when he was put on the book. (Which he didn't really want to write,he wanted Spider-Man)
    With the praise David's run gets now from most fans,some forget that there were those who thought he was "ruining" the Hulk. So if Johns ever were available,it would no doubt be strongly criticized as well.
    I remember Eric Larsen and Len Wein being two that didn't think much of David's seminal run on the book. Both mentioned their mutual distaste for Peter's more intelligent, more wordy Banner alter egos ruining the character. It was actually Peter David, not too mention Todd MacFarlane's pencils that got me picking up the mag.
    Anywho, back to the thread's title subject. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what Geoff Johns would bring to the table with the Green Goliath. It would be at the top of my to read list when my comic fix would show up. He's also mentioned that he's also had a few idears for Iron Man to boot. But the top of the list for me of Marvel characters that I'd like to see him work on would be Blade. While being the dude that that resurrected the whole comic book to movie genre from the hole BATMAN & ROBIN dug the genre into.

None of the attempts by Marvel Comics proper that have been tried has not ever seemed to do catch on with readers, and barely lasted a year. On top of the fact that Geoff Johns had worked on the character as writer, and executive producer on BLADE:The Series with David Goyer. Blade and the vampires of the Marvel Universe would no doubt benefit from Johns' world building experience like Green Lantern and Aquaman..

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I hope the next Batman movie will be a lot like GJ's Batman Earth One