Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jade's Short Run As The Star Of Green Lantern!

Everyone talks about hal vs kyle but people forget during kyles run they had him go into space for a mini series. The main title then set up jade as the star---for about 5 issues!

Looks like dc was setting her up for maybe a solo mini or ongoing and even had her join the jla for a second or two.

Then--nothing. She went back to side character status and never got a mini series.

Then new 52 made her lex's stooge. (man new 52 hated dc's female heroes didn't it?)

Also as a side note they had in issue 99 a losh female green lantern show up in the future. Did that future gl ever show again?

What did you guys think of jade and that future gl? Did you like those issues or just wish klye would get back from space? Should jade have got a try out mini series or would it have bombed? What do you guys think?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Losh gl.

[IMG][/IMG]

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked Jade!

I've been rereading STARMAN and she's mentioned in that a few times, so I was just thinking about her.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-09-2020 at 10:18 AM.

I like Jade but give her origins and family ties to Alan Scott I don't think she should just be a standard green lantern. She can have ties to them, but I think it would be better if thanks to the Starheart she was treated as a separate entity.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The classic GL suit looks good on Jade.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Her GL stint was pretty short lived, but I really enjoyed it!
    It wasn't really explained why she gave up the ring. She just kinda went back to her own powers instead.
    So long as Marz and Banks were onboard, I'd have loved to have seen a mini series.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Then new 52 made her lex's stooge. (man new 52 hated dc's female heroes didn't it?)
    Huh? I thought New 52 erased Jade and Obsidian?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Oops. I was thinking about the 52 series jade. A new red version who worked for lex.

n 52, week 29, a young woman named Nicki Jones was introduced as a member of the new Lex Luthor-owned Infinity, Inc. under the super hero name Jade. Jones is a vegetarian graphic arts student from the San Francisco Art Institute. She possesses the ability to project glowing vines from her fingertips. She is also able to fly and use green energy powers. Jones debuted at a Thanksgiving parade, only to be attacked by Obsidian, who accused her of trying to steal his sister's legacy.[27]
    In 52 week 40, the members of Infinity, Inc., with the exception of Jones, Natasha Irons, and Jacob Colby, battled Steel and the Teen Titans and were arrested.[28] Jones appeared again during week 50 in World War III with the remaining members of Infinity, Inc.[29]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_(DC_Comics)#52

New 52 was still hard on some of it's female heroes however.

[IMG][/IMG]

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think back in the late nineties DC had a real stick up their butt about "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE GL AT A TIME! BLAAAAARGH!" so she got shunted back to second stringer status. Which is crap because she deserved to be an official Lantern.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I liked Jade!

I've been rereading STARMAN and she's mentioned in that a few times, so I was just thinking about her.
    Jade is one of my favorite legacy characters. I hope she comes back soon.

I really dug when Jade was a regular in the Kyle Rayner GL book.

Especially during Winick's run. She was awesome.
    Batman - Daredevil

Jenny-Lynn and Kyle were not just my favorite DC couple before Winick decided that his protagonist had to find himself in deep space (and only found decreasing sales) but also my favorite GL duo ever. Compared to the ruin, death and oblivion which awaited her within a couple of years, even being the #1 supporting character in the GL title was gold, but if there was ever a time for her to join the JLA it was during those years, not during James Robinson's forgettable tenure on the book (you know, the one where every cover featured the League defeated and beaten up).

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Her GL stint was pretty short lived, but I really enjoyed it!
    It wasn't really explained why she gave up the ring. She just kinda went back to her own powers instead.
    That's incorrect. During the time Kyle was the nearly all-powerful Ion (back when it was huge f'n deal rather than a holographic abyssal fish) he asked her if she wanted him to reactivate her old powers, since they were still written in her DNA, and she promptly accepted since she had always felt kind of violated for having been stripped of them. The issue of Green Lantern #148 and Kyle/Ion and the whole sequence is about four pages long (Ion Kyle was a quick worker).

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I liked Jade!

Ha! I'm exactly the same.

I really like the character. Would love a Jade mini or having her star in JSA.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Oops. I was thinking about the 52 series jade. A new red version who worked for lex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_(DC_Comics)#52

New 52 was still hard on some of it's female heroes however.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Different civilian name, so that's a case of a new character with a reused codename - which doesn't even make sense. Jade is a shade of green, yet this one had red skin? What was it about green heroes becoming red anyway? Beast Boy was red in New 52 as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I've always loved Jade, especially in the Outsiders. I hope we see her making her mark again now that she's returned.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Jenny-Lynn and Kyle were not just my favorite DC couple before Winick decided that his protagonist had to find himself in deep space (and only found decreasing sales) but also my favorite GL duo ever. Compared to the ruin, death and oblivion which awaited her within a couple of years, even being the #1 supporting character in the GL title was gold, but if there was ever a time for her to join the JLA it was during those years, not during James Robinson's forgettable tenure on the book (you know, the one where every cover featured the League defeated and beaten up).

That's incorrect. During the time Kyle was the nearly all-powerful Ion (back when it was huge f'n deal rather than a holographic abyssal fish) he asked her if she wanted him to reactivate her old powers, since they were still written in her DNA, and she promptly accepted since she had always felt kind of violated for having been stripped of them. The issue of Green Lantern #148 and Kyle/Ion and the whole sequence is about four pages long (Ion Kyle was a quick worker).
    Yeah, but she could have kept the ring! We weren't shown why she chose not to. (Not to my memory anyway, unless it was when Kyle returned to Earth & the whole awful cheating thing....)
    Last edited by married guy; 05-11-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.