Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ah, yeah. I felt like it might have come up in the first movie but haven't seen it in forever. I saw the Glass movie in Oct though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ah, yeah. I felt like it might have come up in the first movie but haven't seen it in forever. I saw the Glass movie in Oct though.
    There are allusions and "easter eggs" in almost all of them. Glass particularly has it. It's largely talking about the strongman superman though,not flying lazer eyes guy.The strongman might work in the verse. but, going too fantastical might break the suspension of disbelief. I believe WB should really consider something akin to daredevil series with the goldenage guy.I mean, a guy who can hear pin drop in a building largely didn't break the suspension of disbelief. The guy could get hurt with just bursting shells and armor piercing rounds. there would be excitement and cool hand to hand, jumping around.. Etc.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-10-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

There was a time when reading Superman comics felt like reading Sandman or the Spirit. The imaginary tales, the endless worlds, the deep mythology, especially when all I read was odds and end issues. Cyclops and Wolverine, the scorn shared for Cyclops seem to transfer over to Bruce and Kal post crisis. Batman always seemed to be deflating Superman just like Cyclops and Wolverine. Galactus reminds me of Superman! His origin at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    There was a time when reading Superman comics felt like reading Sandman or the Spirit. The imaginary tales, the endless worlds, the deep mythology, especially when all I read was odds and end issues. Cyclops and Wolverine, the scorn shared for Cyclops seem to transfer over to Bruce and Kal post crisis. Batman always seemed to be deflating Superman just like Cyclops and Wolverine. Galactus reminds me of Superman! His origin at least.
    Strangley, silversurfur aka norrin rad reminds me of jor L. Galan being a survivor of a doomed universe does have similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I guess it was inevitable in a way with Wolverine becoming a star, but I've wondered if the tense bromance with Scott starting with maybe Morrison is a reflection of the similar situation with Clark and Bruce. Of course Logan also has Peter Parker and Steve Rogers as foils.

Silver Surfer is at least similar enough that they skipped the superhero dust up when they met. Never got far enough into him but maybe whenever they decide to reprint those Dan Slott stories.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    "Did you know the first Superman couldnĀ’t even fly? And Metropolis is actually New York City. And what about all the coincidences in what I was reading?"
    Elijah, Elijah, Elijah...

He's pretentious and ignorant on this point, or more likely MNS messed it up. Metropolis began life as an artistic mixture of the two biggest cities Joe Shuster had lived in, Cleveland and Toronto! Clark Kent even mails a story in to the Cleveland Saturday Evening Post at one point early on!

If the organization killed, or failed to kill, a man who inspired the comic strip hero (a legitimately intriguing idea, manwhohaseverything! What a cool concept!) then the place to start looking for evidence of that would be Cleveland, not New York. This concept also ties into some Jose Phillip Farmer fan work I've seen, which proposes that the real Superman, whoever he is, was also the same person as Hugo Danner, and may have known both Siegel and Wylie, who wrote Gladiator. His name wouldn't have been either Hugo Danner or Clark Kent, naturally, those are pseudonyms constructed by Wylie, Siegel and Shuster. Perhaps the infamous "second Superman" comic that Siegel destroyed was really destroyed for being too close to the real thing?

Of course "Wold Newtonry" & the JPF fandom being what they are, that proposed "historical Superman" is still far closer to the real thing than one from the Unbreakable universe would have to be, since there's such a premium on physical believability, despite David Dunn's apparent Cosmic Awareness.

All of which said, there is a direct link between Unbreakable and Superman beyond the straightforward "invulnerable man" conceit, and that's David Dunn's name. Jerry Siegel's first Superman from "The Reign of the Super-Man" short story is named Bill Dunn! So there's our disqualifying connection, haha!

Let's see, Sir Lancelot from the film "Excalibur" just plain looks like Superman...

HERE'S a weird one! Mads Mikkelsen's take on the famous serial killer and cannibal, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, reminds me of Superman, and specifically of George Reeves. Firstly, he's very mild mannered and polite, secondly, he pretends to be an ordinary person despite his frequent daring exploits, and third, he makes frequent asides or little jokes, apparently just for himself, to the effect of hinting at his secret, and only the audience understands what he means.
    Last edited by Adekis; 05-11-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Squirrel Girl reminds me of Superman a bit.

The tone of her stories are more light hearted. Something similar to Silver Age. She is called Unbeatable Squirrel. People tend to forget but Superman is supposed to very hard to beat. She does not fly and jumps like Golden Age Superman used to. She wouldn't start punching right away. She is quite friendly and would try to reason with you first.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Squirrel Girl reminds me of Superman a bit.

The tone of her stories are more light hearted. Something similar to Silver Age. She is called Unbeatable Squirrel. People tend to forget but Superman is supposed to very hard to beat. She does not fly and jumps like Golden Age Superman used to. She wouldn't start punching right away. She is quite friendly and would try to reason with you first.
    That's blatantly intentional a connection to superman .So,that disqualifies it.

Swiss army nerd

Benton Fraser from Due South. He was basically Clark Kent but a Mountie, and the first ep even used the Crash Test Dummies Superman's Song to drive that point home.

Kind, courteous, polite, heroic, brave, decent and a little strange. Paul Gross was the best Superman we never got.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's blatantly intentional a connection to superman .So,that disqualifies it.
    She's really not like him in a direct way, it's just an homage cover

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    She's really not like him in a direct way, it's just an homage cover
    Oh! My bad. I am not familiar with the character other than her beating galactus ?

Yeah, for a long time she was just a really obscure gag character, even the butt of comic book jokes. They gave her a legit shot some years ago and she's been pretty popular since.

The joke with Galactus and Doom is that she's a Batman Wolverine type who is good enough to beat them but does it off panel. I think Superman might be mentioned in her newer series, but she's less like him intentionally than characters like Thor or Spider-Man for what it's worth.

Not a character but an actor, Tom Hanks.

His integrity and decency and loyalty to his wife. At least as far as I know.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The Boy's Homelander (TV version) is my new favourite fictional character of the last years. Really another evil Superman but the best of the bad-guy-Supes bunch. Such a great actor.