Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It wasn't terribly long ago that a superhero film role was the death knell of an actor. Today, not so much.

To me, it's Robert Redford. No other single actor lends more legitimacy to the superhero genre than Redford.

Who's your choice?
    For me, it's Robert Downey Jr.

For a long time, Robert Downey Jr. was considered one of the best actors working in the business. Then he got into trouble. With Iron Man, he turned around not only his life's trajectory, but he was on the forefront of a paradigm shift in Hollywood.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-31-2020 at 09:18 AM.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

If by "coup" you mean an actor that adds legitimacy to the genre then I'd say it was Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Since then comic book films were seen as more acceptable.

Incredible Member

Another example would be Wesley Snipes as BLADE.

BANNED

I think the cast of Batman 89 is a pretty good example. But it’s hard to beat the cast of the X-Men or Nolan Batman films.

BANNED

What comic film was Redford in?

Hugh Jackman is the greatest coup. No other actor in recent memory is going to be as beloved or as legitimate to the superhero genre than Jackman.

All time Veteran coup greats would be Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart not Redford.

Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix and Ryan Reynolds, I will give great coup recognition. They have made signature roles from playing comic book characters with a single film.

Robert Downey Jr rounds things up. There was something about Downey as Iron man that never felt final. I would have loved to have seen Downey as Iron Man without the MCU.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-10-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    What comic film was Redford in?
    He was bad guy Alexander Pierce in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    If by "coup" you mean an actor that adds legitimacy to the genre then I'd say it was Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Since then comic book films were seen as more acceptable.
    THIS! I came here to say the exact same thing, he was the real trail-blazer. AND to add even more legitimacy, he got a BAFTA and a Golden Globe nomination for it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

The most impressive for me was seeing Patrick Stewart as Xavier. I've got a million quibbles about those X-movies, but they had some great casting. (About the only casting part I regret is that early rumors of Angela Basset as Storm turned out to be just noise...)

Other times, I feel like big name actors get wasted in comic book movies, like Glenn Close's role in Guardians of the Galaxy. That's not an actress you waste like that, IMO.

Brando in Superman.

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Because as Jim Kelly would say "He came straight out of a comic book, man!"
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    No I mean the actor whose talent in the profession far outdistances what we would expect from the genre, at the time they took the role.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    No I mean the actor whose talent in the profession far outdistances what we would expect from the genre, at the time they took the role.
    Brando seems like the first and most obvious choice.

I'd add Glenn Close to the list. One of the last people I'd ever expect.

And wherever she goes, Meryl Streep is never far behind...

That Michael Douglas is in three MCU films also boggles my mind, but I'm glad he's there.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Have to agree with Stewart and McKellen for the X-Men movies.

I don't consider Brando counts, it was a pay check, he didn't try, he didn't learn his lines, and was barely in it. His contempt for the film added NO legitimacy. Jack Nicholson was a HUGE Hollywood star with two Oscars when he stole the show in Batman (1989). He committed 100% and shone in the role, with award nominations to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'd add Glenn Close to the list. One of the last people I'd ever expect.
    And wherever she goes, Meryl Streep is never far behind...
    I'm not sure that's true, Glen Close has always been more open to silliness. Think of 101 Dalmations (1996) or the boo-box in Hook (1991).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-11-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."