Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah I think the last time Jessica showed up till she was freed in Secret Invasion was in Alias, and while Veranke was only pretending to be Jessica, nobody talked if she was acting different, and at the very least Wolverine knew her well enough to notice such a thing, so it's how she was always supposed to be, then again, it was Bendis writing it, and the guy isn't reliable with characterization... But maybe he didn't screw up with her? I dunno lol.
    I've always thought Bendis writing Jessica felt really off. She was oddly sexualized more than usual, especially in comparison to other characters around her, everyone treated her fairly badly, first when its revealed she's stuck as a triple agent between SHIELD and Hydra and everyone gives her the cold shoulder, and then it gets even worse when the real Jessica returns and everyone acts badly towards her, just because they're reminded of Veranke. Even despite all the circumstances she's dealt with, every appearance of her just felt either very bitter or depressed.

And that's not to mention weird WTF moments when she's kidnapped in the Age Of Ultron prequel and stripped naked for absolutely no reason (to the point where reprints repainted her costume over her naked body). I've had a theory the reason she was writing like that and put in all these situations because he really wanted to use Jessica Drew in Alias before creating Jessica Jones, and so when he finally started writing her basically made her exactly like Jones.

I have to disagree there - I would be pretty bitter and depressed too if my friends didn't know I wasn't myself and then treated me badly upon my return. She was like that when Kelly Sue wrote her too - Bitter, sarcastic, snarky, especially when Carol lost her memories. She has trust issues so it makes sense (to me at least) that she would be standoffish and reserved to those she doesn't know. To the other Avengers, she's snarky and standoffish to the point of being rude. To those she considers hers - she still snarky, but there's clear affection there (see her interactions with Carol). So, I think that's just who Jessica Drew is at this point. A snarky, grumpy, distrustful Spider. I don't think she's like Peter at all - and if Snark is what makes her like Peter, I think you can sum that up to it being a trait of members of the Spider-Family across the board.

I'm not sure how you want Jess to be? A lot of people complained that the Hopeless run was too lighthearted and funny, but I disagree. I think Jessica as a character has a wicked sense of humor in general, with Snark as a defense mechanism to keep people from getting too close. Given how her life has been, you can't really blame her for not being sunshine and rainbows all the time. That's part of why I really liked Dennis Hopeless run though - because you see how she is immediately after Secret Invasion and to have her where she is at the end of his run - yay character development? She's clearly content, if not happy, with the small family she made for herself. I think Jessica got more character development in her most recent run than she had in the last 40 years.

That said, I do agree that she was over sexualized and a lot of that was because of her pheromone powers. If I recall correctly she still didn't have complete control over them when Bendis wrote her, but by the time KSD and Ales Kot got her, she had more control. Jess has wound up captured and tied up more times than I'm comfortable with, especially in the first volume of her own series. She's a badass, she shouldn't wind up in those situations. It's also what I really disliked about the recent Spider-Force run - how easily she was manipulated by Kaine and Verna. Jess is better than that.

I also agree that Drew and Jones are pretty similar - especially now that Jones is being drawn to look more like Krysten Ritter and now that Drew is a mother. That said, I think Jessica Drew has more of a temper and is far more likely to punch first and ask questions later than Jones is. Also, Jess is a Brit, a detail a lot of writers seem to forget (Bendis and Hopeless tried give her an accent or have her use British slang once in awhile).
    Last edited by Seren; 12-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I have to disagree there - I would be pretty bitter and depressed too if my friends didn't know I wasn't myself and then treated me badly upon my return. She was like that when Kelly Sue wrote her too - Bitter, sarcastic, snarky, especially when Carol lost her memories. She has trust issues so it makes sense (to me at least) that she would be standoffish and reserved to those she doesn't know. To the other Avengers, she's snarky and standoffish to the point of being rude. To those she considers hers - she still snarky, but there's clear affection there (see her interactions with Carol). So, I think that's just who Jessica Drew is at this point. A snarky, grumpy, distrustful Spider. I don't think she's like Peter at all - and if Snark is what makes her like Peter, I think you can sum that up to it being a trait of members of the Spider-Family across the board.
    I'm not saying her being bitter and depressed that all her friends and partners treated her like crap wasn't understandable, I just didn't think it was all that interesting to read, having Jess stuck in one mode due to everyone else around her acting dumb. I also would say I felt there's a difference between "bitterness" and "snarkiness", which I felt she was much more the former in Bendis work, than the latter. I've always felt her snarky attitude came off as more sincere whenever anyone else wrote her, like you mentioned in Kelly Sue's work, her interactions were Carol were all great and entertaining.

I'm not sure how you want Jess to be? A lot of people complained that the Hopeless run was too lighthearted and funny, but I disagree. I think Jessica as a character has a wicked sense of humor in general, with Snark as a defense mechanism to keep people from getting too close. Given how her life has been, you can't really blame her for not being sunshine and rainbows all the time. That's part of why I really liked Dennis Hopeless run though - because you see how she is immediately after Secret Invasion and to have her where she is at the end of his run - yay character development? She's clearly content, if not happy, with the small family she made for herself. I think Jessica got more character development in her most recent run than she had in the last 40 years.
    I actually really enjoyed Hopeless' take on Jessica, I was never a massive fan of her before, I liked her when she was around but she never really grabbed me, Hopeless was the first that made me love her as a character. Her humour was great, the snarkiness made her really entertaining, and it was interesting seeing her personality clash, and most of the time compliment, her ideals and relationships with others, especially when it comes to Gerry and Roger.

I also agree that Drew and Jones are pretty similar - especially now that Jones is being drawn to look more like Krysten Ritter and now that Drew is a mother. That said, I think Jessica Drew has more of a temper and is far more likely to punch first and ask questions later than Jones is. Also, Jess is a Brit, a detail a lot of writers seem to forget (Bendis and Hopeless tried give her an accent or have her use British slang once in awhile).
    I've also always thought Carol being written as the best friend of both Jessicas was also a big thing regarding their similarities, especially when you have like Carol and Drew's books having them very frequently together, and then in Jones' books Carol's filling up that role with Drew usually not around. Even in New Avengers Carol would always flip flop between who she's trying to be the "#1" to depending on the scene.

I don't think any writer has really done a good job at showing Jess is a Brit, because I honestly didn't know she was supposed to be. The only time I can remember it being explicitly shown is in the Digital Comic version of Bendis' Spider-Woman book where she is given a British accent, and I thought that was just a stylistic choice. (And I don't know if it was because of the actor, but I personally didn't think the voice fit all that well)