View Poll Results: Who do you NEVER want to see again in the pages of Wonder Woman?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aleka

3 7.50%
  • The Dark Gods (Karnell, etc.)

7 17.50%
  • Derinoe

1 2.50%
  • Egg Fu

4 10.00%
  • First Born

6 15.00%
  • The Gorilla Knights (Tolifhar, etc.)

4 10.00%
  • Grail

7 17.50%
  • I-Ching

3 7.50%
  • Jason

25 62.50%
  • Maxwell Lord

4 10.00%
  • Mike Schorr

1 2.50%
  • The Morrigan

1 2.50%
  • Zeus

4 10.00%
  • Zola

4 10.00%
  • Other

1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The Kapatelis.' Bland with a side of bland.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

I kind of wish there was a little description next to every name because I don't recognize all of these characters in the poll. Is Jason the guy they revealed as her brother?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Is Jason the guy they revealed as her brother?
    Yes. 10 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I kind of wish there was a little description next to every name because I don't recognize all of these characters in the poll. Is Jason the guy they revealed as her brother?
    That's fair.

Aleka - disgruntled man-hating amazon from Azzarello's New 52 run; stand-in for Artemis.

The Dark Gods - a pantheon of gods that spawned out of Dark Nights: Metal; came and went without making a splash.

Derinoe - amazon crone and former spurned lover of Hippolyta; had I remembered Eirene from Meredith Finch's run, I would've included her over Derinoe who to be honest I didn't think was that bad (as opposed to Eirene, who was pure trash).

Egg Fu - racist ass egg-shaped Yellow Peril supervillain; why he still exists I have no idea.

First Born - hyena-banging child of Zeus who wanted to conquer Mount Olympus; we had to sit through 35 issues of this one-shot villain.

The Gorilla Knights - a bunch of gorillas (go figure) who were also knights and lived with Wonder Woman, because that's obviously what she needed in her life.

Grail - "evil Wonder Woman" who is also a New God and Darkseid's daughter; shoehorned into the series by DC editorial and had potential but never lived up to it and probably never will.

I-Ching - Diana's blind (and of course Asian) mentor who trained her during one of her darkest days in publication history.

Jason - Wonder Woman's twin brother that she never heard about or knew about for 75+ years. Some serious soap opera stuff right there. And because they refused to give Wonder Woman a "Wonder Boy" equivalent, Jason had to be the same age and more powerful because he's a man.

Maxwell Lord - Like Grail, shoehorned into Wonder Woman's corner of the universe. Particularly aggravating because he only ever had ONE prominent moment with the amazon, and suddenly he's in her top 10 villains of all time? Uh, no.

Mike Schorr - Part of a revolving door of Steve Trevor-lites. This time, a no-nonsense police officer who got to hold damsel-in-distress Diana in more than one panel.

The Morrigan - Another cool idea muddled by poor writing. The worst part about these ladies is that J. Michael Stracyznski didn't care enough about his bold, new Wonder Woman direction to stay on for more than 4 issues. He left before they were even introduced. Could they be cool? Absolutely. Were they cool? Absolutely not.

Zeus - Two words: Diana's. Daddy. Why they thought to make the biggest rapist of Greek Mythology into Diana's father (or that she even needed one) is beyond me.

Zola - Another New 52 addition to the cast. Zola had the personality of a wet blanket. Not only that, the climax featuring her "truth" goes down as one of the biggest "WTF?" moments that fans are still trying to wrap their brains around.

That's a whoooooole lot of personal opinion mixed into those descriptions.

JMS didn't write the Morrigan Phil Hester did and they were cool. They weren't a trio of typical witches with undefined magic. I remember a scene where they made the stone head of the fallen Medusa cry in order to use her tears to transform other victims of her cold stare. They ensnared Dr. Psycho here with less promising results.

morrigan 1.jpg

morrigan 2.jpg

morrigan 3.jpg

They were interesting, as were all the 600's that got a bad rap due to some fandom's dislike of JMS and his comments about Wonder Woman being a Ferrari that DC wouldn't let leave the garage. I don't care, as maligned as the 600's were, for my money it was a Great alternative Wonder Woman story!

Sorry I got side-tracked, as horrible as Azzarello's tenure was, his First Born was truly evil with his bestiality and cannibalism and while his story did last a long number of issues it was cool how he kept evolving until he eventually fulfilled the original prophesy concerning his appearance. I didn't like how Wonder Woman only got her victory by tricking him and I still want to see them go toe to toe with her coming out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Uh, duh. If you want objective, read their Wiki pages. If you're going to be lazy, you get some bias.

JMS didn't write the Morrigan Phil Hester did and they were cool. They weren't a trio of typical witches with undefined magic. I remember a scene where they made the stone head of the fallen Medusa cry in order to use her tears to transform other victims of her cold stare. They ensnared Dr. Psycho here with less promising results.
    Exactly. JMS didn't write the Morrigan because he bailed on the comic's brand new storyline that he set up, leaving poor Phil Hester (who I don't blame for the atrocious Odyssey run) to pick up the scraps and try to make any coherency out of JMS's notes (which included the Morrigan).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would have liked to see Hester do a run while not being saddled with the JMS stuff.
    Didn't he want to use the Blue Snowman?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I would have liked to see Hester do a run while not being saddled with the JMS stuff.
    Didn't he want to use the Blue Snowman?
    He did!! I forgot about that. A man after my own heart.

It was also his decision to incorporate Cheetah, Giganta, and Artemis which was one of the better elements on the storyline (even if not much was done with it). If it were up to JMS, I don't think we would've had any existing villains show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

morrigan 1.jpg

morrigan 2.jpg

morrigan 3.jpg

They were interesting, as were all the 600's that got a bad rap due to some fandom's dislike of JMS and his comments about Wonder Woman being a Ferrari that DC wouldn't let leave the garage. I don't care, as maligned as the 600's were, for my money it was a Great alternative Wonder Woman story!
    Keyword being "alternative".... but I don't think that was the original intent. Seems like it was touted as the new status quo, with some completely stupid and not well thought out touches. Like the W bracelets thstbleave a mark when she hits someone. But the w's weren't on her fists, they were on her bracelets....* trying to figure out that bit of physics*

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He did!! I forgot about that. A man after my own heart.

It was also his decision to incorporate Cheetah, Giganta, and Artemis which was one of the better elements on the storyline (even if not much was done with it). If it were up to JMS, I don't think we would've had any existing villains show up.

Very interesting! I'd like to see Hester get a crack at doing a run all of his own on Wonder Woman some day. Do you know if it was also Hester's decision to incorporate Dr. Psycho? I thought that Psycho's part was the most interesting part of that arc.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Very interesting! I'd like to see Hester get a crack at doing a run all of his own on Wonder Woman some day. Do you know if it was also Hester's decision to incorporate Dr. Psycho? I thought that Psycho's part was the most interesting part of that arc.
    I don't think he ever went on record with Dr. Psycho, but I'd assume since he brought in Cheetah et al that he would've decided to use Dr. Psycho too. But it could've been in JMS's notes, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Uh, duh. If you want objective, read their Wiki pages. If you're going to be lazy, you get some bias.

Exactly. JMS didn't write the Morrigan because he bailed on the comic's brand new storyline that he set up, leaving poor Phil Hester (who I don't blame for the atrocious Odyssey run) to pick up the scraps and try to make any coherency out of JMS's notes (which included the Morrigan).
    JMS came up with framework but Phil Hester made it good. That framework was sound though, before he left JMS made clear it was an alternate take where anything could happen. Phil Hester breathed life into it and made it more Wonderful. The end result was far from atrocious as evinced by readers wanting to see Phil Hester write Diana without JMS.

Jason. The Cobalt Blue of Wonder Woman. I supposed the soap opera trope of Twins Separated At Birth Who Don't Know About Each Other can be done well (There's always The Parent Trap, right?), but it rarely is and it wasn't here.

I simply didn't find him interesting at all. And he was given far too many powers and magical items way too quickly.

I was pretty irritated that they would spend all this time on a "partner" for Wonder Woman that she could train when both Wonder Girls were basically in limbo and disconnected from Diana. But even without that, I just didn't think he had enough going for him as a character.

In addition, I am completely opposed to the Zeus Daddy origin for Diana, and this just nailed it down even further. And it highlighted one particular problem with that origin: why would Hippolyta have sex (and a baby or two) with Zeus when she knows, just as surely as the sun comes up in the east, that this is highly likely to bring down Hera's wrath on the offspring, Hippolyta, and the Amazons? (As it did in Azzarello's run, big time.) A queen is supposed to care about her people, and a mother about her children. (I found Hippolyta's machinations as she handed Jason off to some guy in Man's World confusing and unconvincing.)

If they wanted a character like Jason, they should have introduced Hermes' part-mortal grandson or something. Long-lost twin, child of Zeus - it's pretty trite.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What a thinly-veiled "crap on Jason" thread. I approve. That loser needs to go.