Default Did Yoda know about the Anakin/Padme relationship in some way?

It seems that Obi-Wan at least knew something was going on, but what about the Jedi's "grand master"?

There's a curious cut in AOTC directly after Anakin and Obi-Wan have the argument over leaving Padme after she gets thrown from the transport, showing Yoda seemingly distracted and giving a "hmmm..." before the Clone Commander distracts him, like he's somewhat sensing what's going on.

Clone Wars and ROTS also seem to imply in a few ways that he seems to be aware of something but doesn't seem to do much (Plus he seems aware that Anakin has been through some severe trauma in AOTC-and Mace seems to know too! but this is never followed up upon. Neither EU actually seems to reflect on this, or the fact that Anakin took a side-trip to Tatooine). The Clone Wars season 6 "finale" does seem to imply that he's sort of resigned to the Jedi's fate, that there's not much that he can do about no matter what he suspects will happen regardless.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think he may suspect something, but with Anakin usually away from the Jedi Temple, and other matters constantly popping up, Yoda's focus would be on other things.

Obi-Wan and Ahsoka though interacted with him a very common basis. Including when Padme was there. So those two finding out was only a matter of time and confirming their suspicions. Others, well, they didn't have as much contact.

iMan 42s

The Jedi don't have a problem with relationships as much of an issue as it comes to attachments. A Jedi can have friends, and more to the point hit it as much as he or she pleases with the caveat that it's basically casual sex. They are allowed to bone but they can't form attachments with their partners. So the council might very well know Anakin got intimate and or was seeing Padme but that's simply not a concern as much as the marriage.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Yoda was close enough to Anakin or privy enough to his and Padme's relationship to be able to know about it beyond maybe slightly sensing it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'm still scratching my head how all those Jedi wasn't able to figure out the Sith Lord was right there the entire time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm still scratching my head how all those Jedi wasn't able to figure out the Sith Lord was right there the entire time.
    Well, the Sith had been in hiding on and off for 1000 years. It makes sense they would have gotten quite adept at hiding themselves in the Force. (Or possibly FROM the Force. But that's a different topic.)

Also, subtext throughout the PT is that the Dark Side has grown so powerful, the scales tipped so severely in it's favor that the Jedi are basically blinded in the Force. Yoda and Mace even explicitly mention at least once that their ability to use the Force has diminished. Think of it like a tide. When the tide is in, the Jedi are swimming in the Force and can easily use it and learn from it. But when it's out, as it increasingly is during the PT, they struggle to grasp it for action, and it's "voice" goes quiet.

The PT Jedi are metaphorically gasping for air, clinging to what remains of a resource that has been drained away from them by the Sith.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    The Tarkin novel also has a sequence noting a forgotten Sith temple buried underneath the Jedi one that was dampening their Force perception and blinding them (the temple was going to be a thing in the canceled Clone Wars episodes).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Empty is thy hand!

If you treat the EU as canon, then Yoda knew. It's explicit in the Clone Wars: Wild Space novel and at least one other source that I can't remember offhand. Yoda and Obi-Wan kept Anakin's secret as to not jeopardize his Jedi membership just like they kept Vader's secret to spare Luke's emotions, which turned out to be the wrong choice in both cases. They are good friends and teachers, but they're afraid to do what Qui-Gon would have, which is directly confront the emotional problem. The PT Jedi let their loyalty feed their fear, and vice versa.

This was always something that I wish got more attention in the Prequels. As it stands its just sayings, particularly from Mace and Yoda, that they were being clouded. It would have been nice to actually delve into that. Be it confirmation Sidious was using an actual technique, or if it was just the Dark Side growing in strength, how the Sith method of a singular master and apprentice allowed for such a growth countering the very numerous Jedi Order. I can easily accept the idea, the Force as a concept is very malleable in that way, I just would have liked the writing to have developed some explanations of how it occurred.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-18-2020 at 08:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's kind of interesting that while Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi quickly dismiss the idea of the Sith still being around, Yoda's a bit more open-minded: "Hard to see, the dark side is".

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of interesting that while Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi quickly dismiss the idea of the Sith still being around, Yoda's a bit more open-minded: "Hard to see, the dark side is".
    Well, being nearly 1000 years old (almost as long as the Sith had been hiding), Yoda would have unique insight over most. Not infallible, but unique.

iMan 42s

Yoda would be old enough that while he couldn't have been there likely would've known Jedi and those trained by them who had been. According to Wookiepedia he is 900 by the time the ol frog man croaks so while he missed it by 100 years he's still likely at least aware via second-hand accounts. Mace and Ki-Adi Mundi wouldn't nearly be old enough to have the same kind of reaction to the Sith though nobody knows for sure up until Maul outright reveals himself.

The Sith in the prequels also would make sense to be hidden because every living thing is connected to the force. So Palpatine happening to be strong in the force is odd but not unreasonable considering they stumble across kids and Anakin who are all the time. The assumption could be made that Palpatine would've been a Jedi candidate but it's not to assume he's the Sith Lord. Even if Palpatine gets angry it's also worth noting that the Dark-side doesn't make one Sith, Sith is an order not an alignment when you spec enough Dark-side points. Anakin slaughtered a whole village of people and he remained a Jedi for the next 3 years. They'd need proof be it someone knows who Palpatine is or when he outright tells Anakin. This also works extraordinarily well in their favor being only two because there's just far less to draw attention. They really only reveal themselves once the master plan gets going and even then they work through people and are disguised using assumed names.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Kind of interesting that Palpatine somehow evaded the Jedi "screening" since Naboo is part of the Republic and seems to be a fairly influential world. For Maul it makes sense since, like Anakin, I don't think Dathomir is part of the Republic. Dooku and Anakin of course were Fallen Jedi.

Wonder if we'll get a Disney-canon origin of Palpatine (Darth Plageuis was pretty much the Legends one).