Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why did marvel not make a secret wars cartoon in the 80s?

Superpowers toys used the superfriends cartoon (renamed superpowers to help sell the toys) to help with the toyline.

Marvels secret wars toys came out right after. Marvel didn't make a cartoon even though they had their own animation studio at the time! (come to think of it why didn't they make a crystar cartoon to promote that toyline also?)

So why didn't they make a cartoon? They had kids books that took place on earth (no battleworld) and had them in a gijoe type team. Like the mask cartoon cap and doom could "call in" any hero or bad guy the mission needed.

So why no cartoon? Would it had helped the toyline or would the toys still fold after a few waves? Why didn't marvel make a secret wars cartoon?

What do you think think about this? Should marvel had made a secret wars (and crystar!) cartoon in the 80s?

[IMG][/IMG]

Extraordinary Member

As a kid, we were still watching Spider-man and his Amazing friends reruns and Incredible Hulk reruns at the team.

Many of the Secret Wars characters guest starred on those.

There would have to be network interest and someone willing to foot the bill (though I imagine Mattel might've chipped in on that). I don't know if a Secret Wars cartoon was ever pitched or not though.

Pryde of the X-Men though, was supposed to shill a line of action figures from ToyBiz, which is why they made sure the pilot episode prominently featured the Brotherhood.

We pretty much had to wait for the 90's Spider-Man cartoon for that storyline to be aired.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    We pretty much had to wait for the 90's Spider-Man cartoon for that storyline to be aired.
    And I was underwhelmed. Almost, actually none of the heroes there would ever follow Spidey in a team setting. They may respect him and even be friends, but literally none of them would ever look to him as team leader. Cap, Tony, Storm, and Reed are all team leaders in their own right and no way Wolverine, Johnny and Ben ever follow him as leader.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    And I was underwhelmed. Almost, actually none of the heroes there would ever follow Spidey in a team setting. They may respect him and even be friends, but literally none of them would ever look to him as team leader. Cap, Tony, Storm, and Reed are all team leaders in their own right and no way Wolverine, Johnny and Ben ever follow him as leader.
    Even though he didn't appear in those episodes, I completely agree with you about Wolverine. Heck, Logan even questioned everyone's decision of having Captain America being their leader in the 1984 comic book version of Secret Wars.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-10-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Yeah, this was a poor version and was infuriated that Black Cat was included as if she wasn't overused enough in this series. I also thought the Fantastic Four acted pretty jerky.