Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Similarities Between the Marvel Universe and Star Trek

I have recently taken an interest in the Star Trek franchise and have taken notice that there are similarities between them and that of the Marvel Universe:

Kree = Romulans
    Skrulls = Klingons
    Phalanx = Borg
    Beyonder = Q or Trelane
    Galactic Council = United Federation of Planets??
    Nova Corps = Starfleet
    Galactus = Planet-Killer from “The Doomsday Machine”

If I am incorrect in any of these analogies, let me know. Also, if there are anymore similarities between the two franchises, please also let me know.

The Skrulls would be Changelings.

Who the Klingon equivalent would be escapes me at the moment. There are several Vikingish species in Marvel, but the names of any of them elude me.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Skrulls would be Changelings.

Who the Klingon equivalent would be escapes me at the moment. There are several Vikingish species in Marvel, but the names of any of them elude me.
    Maybe the Shi'ar? They flip flop from friend to foe, have both honorable and dishonorable characters, and are pretty aggressive conquerors, hence their Empire.

BANNED

the Kree are Klingons, they may have a more of a level of order but they're supposed to be bloodthirsty savages and killers.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Another comparison I’ve heard is that the Vision is similar to Spock, though I’m not sure how many definitive comparisons could be made.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Surely everyone who has watched Star Trek has come to the conclusion that Stan and the gang borrowed heavily from the series. I mean I don't know this for a fact, but Lokai and Bele had to have been the inspiration for the In-Betweener.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Nova Corps = Starfleet
    It's not that you're wrong, but opinions vary and that's ok. I think the closest equivalent to Starfleet is actually the Sh'iar, which was/is an empire comprised of a vast number of different alien races. The Sh'iar also have their own Captain Kirk analog. If I can find the image I'll post it.

Edit: And here it is...!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-09-2020 at 10:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    the Kree are Klingons, they may have a more of a level of order but they're supposed to be bloodthirsty savages and killers.
    Also want to add that next to the Skrulls the Kree were the most prominent alien race in Marvel comics and some could argue the same for Klingons in the Star Trek franchise. Skrulls with pointy ears could be a visual nod to Romulans, also considering that Romulans are duplicitous and deceptive characters you could say that the Deviant Skrulls shapeshifting abilities are a more literal adaptation of that.

Silver Surfer represents the goals and ideals of the federation. When he first witnesses acts of hate and destruction on earth, he is shocked and confused by it.

The concept of the prime directive comes into play when characters are dealing with Galactus

Anyone here watch Star Trek: Discovery -- both seasons -- or plan to? If so, I'll refrain from any major spoilers. I will say that I thought initially that the Red Angel reminded me of the Phoenix.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 05-09-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    ^^^okay, yeah. I like that!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It's not that you're wrong, but opinions vary and that's ok. I think the closest equivalent to Starfleet is actually the Sh'iar, which was/is an empire comprised of a vast number of different alien races. The Sh'iar also have their own Captain Kirk analog. If I can find the image I'll post it.

Edit: And here it is...!
    LOL! Okay that’s pretty damn good.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

So would Khan Noonien Singh be their Victor Von Doom if you look at just the Kirk/Khan rivalry. You could make an argument for Magneto too, since Khan and his followers were "genetically superior" beings

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    So would Khan Noonien Singh be their Victor Von Doom if you look at just the Kirk/Khan rivalry. You could make an argument for Magneto too, since Khan and his followers were "genetically superior" beings
    Khan and his ppl were the result of a deliberate human genetic engineering project, so no, I wouldn’t go w. Magneto/mutants (but it’s not my thread).
    Someone like Adam Warlock fits the Khan origin better, as he was an artificially created human, "born" in a cocoon in a scientific complex called "The Beehive". The goal of his creators, the Enclave, was to create and subsequently exploit the perfect human for their own gain.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Khan and his ppl were the result of a deliberate human genetic engineering project, so no, I wouldn’t go w. Magneto/mutants (but it’s not my thread).
    Someone like Adam Warlock fits the Khan origin better, as he was an artificially created human, "born" in a cocoon in a scientific complex called "The Beehive". The goal of his creators, the Enclave, was to create and subsequently exploit the perfect human for their own gain.
    Technically, in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, mutants as a whole were the result of a deliberate attempt to create enhanced humans in the wake of Captain America that went off the rails in a big way.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thats cool!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Thats cool!
    Yeah, I thought it was an interesting twist, especially for Ultimate Magneto's reaction when the truth of mutantkind's collective origin was revealed to him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.