Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I read a lot of image books, but feel like I've missed some quality titles along the way. What are y'all's though on:

Autumnlands
    From the ones you listed I stuck with Autumnlands. It's pretty good magic/fantasy, but takes some time to get going. Issue 1 is gorgeous, but then #2 is just a big dull fight scene and it's not until issue 4 that it really starts picking up the pace.

Art is solid throughout, though a bit heavy on muddy colours for me. Technically it's very proficient though, Dewey really makes all the anthropomorphic characters work, even bizarre ones like the giraffe, and the magic spells look grand and colourful. Busiek frontloads every issue with a big wall of text, a stylistic choice it took me a while to get used to, but ultimately it fleshes out the world pretty quickly.
    A few times when reading it I kinda wished that Busiek/Mignola comic for Final Fantasy had ever materialised.

I have one big gripe with it which is a spoiler if you haven't read until #3, so read at your own risk!
    spoilers:
    So basically the flying city is the 1% here, getting rich by exploiting the Bison tribe living on the planet's surface (that's all shown in the opening pages). But then the bisons somehow become the villains? At times it feels like the story would be more interesting from the bisons perspective.
    end of spoilers

Ultimately Autumnlands is a solid book, but I haven't fallen in love with it yet as I did with ODY-C or Saga.

I read a lot of image books, but feel like I've missed some quality titles along the way. What are y'all's though on:

Birthright
    Copperhead

Birthright is one of my favorite comics right now. It's an 80s style fantasy movie similar to Labrynth, Neverending Story, Goonies. If that's your thing I highly recommend you give it a try. It's right up my alley so I knew I would love it. Story starts off with little Mickey playing with his dad one day in his past and got lost in the woods. He magically finds himself in the fantasy world of Terrenos. Yep, totally cheesy 80s fantasy stuff. The art by Andrei Bressan is simply breathtaking with some of the most gorgeous landscapes I have ever seen. It just finished it's second arc and will be back in November for a giant size issue focusing on Mikey's time in Terrenos. Much of the story thus far has been about a grown up Mikey returning back home and reuniting with his family. I reallly really enjoy this title and would love to see this optioned as a TV series one day. Good stuff.

Copperhead is basically a spaghetti space western. It's fun and quirky. I absolutely adore these two titles, makes my week every time I see them in my shop on Wednesdays.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 08-22-2015 at 05:50 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Autumnlands
    Copperhead
    I don't have much to add from what Total and Groo said on these two titles but I really enjoy both of these books. Autumnlands has great art by Dewey (which is the main reason why I got his Hellboy 100 art). Busiek's story takes its time in telling what it wants to but it does really ramp up by the end of the first arc. The world-building is strong and the characters are well defined. Cooperhead is just a damn fun ride. If you like westerns, I really recommend it. If you like sci-fi westerns, then you simply must buy it. I can't wait to see where the characters go from here.

I would not really recommend Thief of Thieves. It felt very average to me after two trades. I think one of the reasons for this was that the art didn't grab me. The story was meandering but I did enjoy a few of the characters. If you like thief stories like Oceans 11, you may dig this. I know this book has some strong fans that swear by it. It just wasn't for me.
    Last edited by Dorktron; 08-22-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

I don't know where to ask... do you know if Satellite Sam ended with issue 15? Or they will do another season or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post

Copperhead is basically a spaghetti space western. It's fun and quirky.
    I co-sign this. It has a totally different feel to it than Drifter, another sci-fi space western that's more gritty and dark. I don't feel like I'm clouding my pull list with that genre because 1) it's my favorite genre and 2) they're totally different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I don't know where to ask... do you know if Satellite Sam ended with issue 15? Or they will do another season or something like that.
    Another season. Matt mentioned it in one of their recent newsletters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Another season. Matt mentioned it in one of their recent newsletters.
    Ok thanks!
    Right now, I would like an omnibus for Alex + Ada... I think is quite an interesting series.

Thoughts on Invisible Republic? I'm considering grabbing Vol. 1.

I just finished the Aphrodite IX vol 2 (Rebirth) trades, and it feels like there is a lot of story between the original Aphrodite IX and Rebirth that is missing. I am wondering if the two Cyberforce Rebirth trades are useful/relevant? Does IXth Generation come after Aphrodite IX Rebirth?

Also the Aphrodite IX/Cyberforce issue doesn't seem to be collected anywhere except the Aphrodite IX omnibus...is it important to the story?

Amazing Member

Just passed by to recommend Stray Bullets again.. Its kind of a Crime Soap Opera, very character-driven, and the current Arc may just be the best yet.. and its sort of a prequel, with all the characters getting a good introduction, so the upcoming will make an excellent read on its own.. dont let the black and white scare you off..

Quote Originally Posted by OJ4 View Post
    So i'm looking for something from image on the street level. Who would you guys recommend? Think batman, punisher, daredevil.

so far i've read 4 books from image. I usually pick them up in trade format.

The books i've read:

saga
    nowhere men
    sex criminals
    sex
    I'd give Velvet a shot, if I were you. :-)

BANNED

Anybody reading Huck? It looks promising!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJeffie View Post
    Anybody reading Huck? It looks promising!
    I really like it so far. Feel good premise with a very likable lead character.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

BANNED

Yup, it reads like a scaled-down Superman with a fresh set of circumstances.

Has there been any update at all on release timeline for Velvet? Issue 14 was solicited to be released last July but the last issue that has been released was issue 12 in November (solicited for last April). So we are over a half year behind on solicitations and still don't even have issue 13 yet. It is my favorite book that I pull whenever it comes out. That just happens so few and far between that it is hard to be excited for it. Only 4 issues were released in 2015.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)