Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to Image/Book Recommendations

I've noticed multiple threads with this topic pop up, so I thought it would be wise to create a main book recommendation thread for those who are new to Image and are seeking new books to read.
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|RAT QUEENS|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM

Mandatory reading:

Saga
    Five Ghosts
    Rat Queens
    Spread
    Starlight
    Sheltered
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Why are those mandatory? What is Spread and Sheltered about?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    RE: Spread - Straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJordan
    I feel like starting this thread myself is likely to cause me to go blind or grow hair on my palms.

But anyway, starting in July me (writer of Dead Body Road and Luther Strode) and Kyle Strahm (artist on Hack/Slash and Haunt) along with colorist Felipe Sobreiro (again with the Luther) will be putting out Spread, a creator owned ongoing.

The really short pitch is babies, badasses and monster.

The merely short pitch is that it's Lone Wolf and Cub in a world where John Carpenter's The Thing ate North America.

I'll have some images and such shortly or....

http://comicsalliance.com/justin-jor...oad-interview/
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

All-New Member

I'm loving Southern Bastards so far, would definitely recommend that to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by benkunstman View Post
    I'm loving Southern Bastards so far, would definitely recommend that to anyone.
    Yes! It's great! Although I am worried about all the delays the series has faced in the first arc, and when Aaron starts writing the new female Thor series, I reckon SB might be pushed to the back burner : /

Why are those mandatory?
    Because they're great. You'll enjoy these titles, you're probably dead if you can't.

What is Spread and Sheltered about?
    Spread
    read capuga's post

Sheltered
    https://imagecomics.com/content/view...-but-sheltered

"In a pre-apocalyptic world where any day could be humanity’s last, the youth of Safe Haven make a decision based on self-preservation. With limited resources and the end of the world swiftly approaching, the kids band together to kill off their parents and take society into their own hands."

The whole series takes place inside a doomsday compound where the youths are preparing for the end of the world led by their lunatic leader Lucas. He cuts off all contact from his followers to the rest of the world by destroying cell phones and other communication devices. The series is creepy and unnerving, a chilling account of teenagers banding together to survive brought back to humanity's primal roots. Factions are formed as some begin to question the motives of their leader through a series of events. I love these kinds of stories, very much like Lord of the Flies about what happens when children are cut off from the the world and has to depend on themselves to form a hierarchy and build a community. The art by Johnnie Christmas is just stunning, fits perfectly with the claustrophobic tone of the series. I can't recommend this series highly enough.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 08-13-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

exactly, this thread should be about all the vast and diverse options that Image provides, not what we feel a new reader should be bottlenecked in to reading.

That being said, the OP should update and edit his post w/ different categories as the thread continues to evolve. I mean, i could recommend 30 different Image titles under a variety of categories - fun/lighthearted, mature/adult, modern day, noir, superhero, hipster, sci-fi, etc. And someone else could recommend 30 w/ a different mix than mine. Image is just that good!

I'm not sure exactly how it'd work. Maybe just make the categories very broad...? But also have a quick 1~2 sentence summary of each title, and also where it is in the series.

For instance and examples, I'd recommend:
    Elephantmen (50+ issues) - a series about anthropomorphic creatures working in a human world, where there is still social stigma surrounding them

Sex (10+ issues) - a series about a retired Batman-esque superhero returning to his home city to focus on his business. but of course, things get in the way of that...

Peter Panzerfaust (20+ issues) - a WW2 interpretation of the Peter Pan story

Manifest Destiny (5+ issues) - a new take on the Lewis & Clark expedition as they deal w/ the supernatural and weird.

etc etc.

What do you guys think?

edit:
    i realized the categories idea would be a bit redundant if there're already short descriptions of the titles. So no categories needed, but I still think short description + # of issues would be really helpful for new readers.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 08-16-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Wink Pick My Next Image Title!

Hi all

I'm new to the forums here, having been reading comics on of for a while but as off a month ago and dived in. I only read Image comics at the moment because none of the titles from the other publishers have grabbed my attention lately (stopped reading marvel and dc completely tho mainly because of Invincible lol). Anyway in the past month and a bit I have spent quite a bit and caught up on a few Image series such as Saga, Black Science, East of West, Nailbiter, Outcast, Ghosted, Peter Panzerfaust, Five Ghosts, Wicked and Divine, Fade Out, Lazarus and Spread. I've almost caught up with Walking Dead and Invincible which leaves me with enough time and money to start a new series (or two).

What better place to ask than a comic forum. At the moment my favorites would have to be Saga, Black Science, Nailbiter, TWD and Invincible. Anyway here are the series' I am considering, what I'm asking you guys to do i sell me on one of these titles and get me really excited for it!

The titles I'm considering at the moment are:
    • C.O.W.L
    • Manifest Destiny
    • Clone
    • Southern Bastards
    • Chew
    • Deadly Class
    • Revival
    • Sheltered

Looking forward to what you guys recommend and if you have a title that isn't on this list feel free to try and sell me on it if you can
    Last edited by Davenex; 08-27-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added all the titles im currently reading and up to date with

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

If you like Nailbiter, check out Ghosted, same writer.

I want to check out Clone, but it ends at issue 20. Out of the rest, I've only read Manifest Destiny and I really enjoy that one.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Sheltered and Manifest Destiny is awesome, can't go wrong. Manifest Destiny gets a lot better after the first arc but Sheltered grabs hold of you on the first issue and never lets up. Fantastic series being made into a movie as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    If you like Nailbiter, check out Ghosted, same writer.

I want to check out Clone, but it ends at issue 20. Out of the rest, I've only read Manifest Destiny and I really enjoy that one.
    Should probably update the first post with stuff im up to date with (ghosted being one of them and loving it), just didn't want to flood the first post lol. Yeh I don't really like picking up mini-series (like Clone if it ends at 20), prefer ongoings

What is Manifest Destiny like? From the previews I have seen kind of reminds me of a less sci fi black science
    Last edited by Davenex; 08-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sheltered from your list. It is a pre-apocalyptic tale about a group of teens who take over a settlement and chaos ensues. It has excellent art and great character development with some graphic violence added in for good measure.

I would also recommend Chew highly. The characters are sublime and the art is excellent. It is about a cibopath detective who gets psychic images through tasting things.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

A lot of people like Sheltered but if I remember right, it ends at issue 18.

Manifest Destiny is re-telling of the Lewis & Clark Expedition but with fantasy aspects to it. There are 9 issues out, 1-6 have been collected, so its easy to catch up.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Anyone reading Saga should consider getting the first trade of Alex + Ada. Unless you're only reading Saga for the weird space stuff, rather than the emotional core at heart. Alex + Ada is basically a 'boy meets girl/android' kinda deal, and is kind of understated in tone but very well done.
    Like the wacky space stuff better than the emotional core? Then go for Prophet or Multiple Warheads. Both are Brandon Graham series, Prophet has different artists. Granted I'm a big fan of Graham (see my avatar), but hot damn these are some of the most bonkers series out there. Prophet is nearing its end with about 7 issues left to go, but it's worth looking for the earlier trades -- absolutely bananas sci-fi stuff. Multiple Warheads (early stuff is NSFW) is my favourite series of Graham since he also draws it, but the release schedule for that is about 4 issues per year.

From your list: Sheltered is one I actually didn't like, but I seem to be a minority there so disregard my opinion. Revival however, is a very good choice imo. It's a very slow burn though, we're like 2+ years in now and the plot just meanders all over the place while barely offering answers. If you prefer series that are in for the long haul, then Revival will suit you well. It's creepy, occasionally gory, and a pretty likable main character (which seems pretty rare in zombie-esque stories). I read it in trade and it always surprises me how much I like this series, despite not thinking about it that often.

Lastly: A VOICE IN THE DARK. This is another personal favourite. The first 7 issues were black and white, colour starts at the soon-beginning 2nd arc. It's a serial killer kind of deal, starring a very diverse cast in terms of gender, sexuality and race. A Voice In The Dark is written, drawn, lettered and inked all by Larime Taylor. Which is impressive in itself on a monthly schedule, but since he's disabled, he does ALL OF THAT BY MOUTH. It's an exciting story unlike any comic out there and yet it gets criminally overlooked (probably because it started in black & white?), so definitely give it a shot. First issue (double-sized too!) can be downloaded for free here: http://topcow.com/files/AVITD001_reader_web.pdf
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!