Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I think Deadly Class would be right up your alley. Its about a homeless kid in 1980's San Francisco who gets recruited to attend a high school for assassins. The tone is a bit different but you'll like it.
    Oh well, this looks nice. I'll check it out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by belar View Post
    Has anyone read Wytches? I'm thinking of picking up the first trade and was curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks.
    I just finished reading Wytches Vol. 1 and it was outstanding!

This would be my "First Wave" of recommendations for someone new to Image......

Manifest Destiny
    East of West
    Lazarus
    Birthright
    Revival
    Monstress
    Saga
    The Wicked + The Divine
    Deadly Class
    Chew
    Southern Bastards
    The Fix
    Paper Girls

All-New Member TheSecretSeventh's Avatar

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the forums and am getting back into comics after a multi-year hiatus. I've dipped my toes in occasionally, but am now looking to get back to my local shop on a weekly basis.

I've read some of Saga, Sex Criminals, and The Wicked and The Divine, and plan on catching up on those. I've also borrowed Low and East of West from a friend, but haven't started them yet. I read some Chew back in the day, but it didn't hold my interest. For someone that used to basically only read DC/Marvel, what else would you recommend? I tend to like things that are funny and/or establish a cool world.

Also, I don't want to get this thread off-topic, but I'm looking to get back into DC/Marvel stuff as well, and didn't see a similar thread in the DC discussions. I'm so far behind that it's possible I just didn't understand the references to New 52 and post-crisis and all that nonsense...

Thanks!

I'll take this one too! Lol. You'll love LOW. It's one of my favorite books from Image. East of West as well. You should also try Descender. Especially if you happen to be a Mass Effect fan.

The ultimate world building is being done by Rucka and Lark on Lazarus though.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'll take this one too! Lol. You'll love LOW. It's one of my favorite books from Image. East of West as well. You should also try Descender. Especially if you happen to be a Mass Effect fan.

The ultimate world building is being done by Rucka and Lark on Lazarus though.
    Lazarus and Descender have been added to the list! Bringing up Mass Effect was an easy way to sell that one, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSecretSeventh View Post
    Lazarus and Descender have been added to the list! Bringing up Mass Effect was an easy way to sell that one, haha.
    That's the main reason I picked it up when it launched too. Big world building in space with gigantic synthetic creatures that destroy planets? Sold.

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the forums and am getting back into comics after a multi-year hiatus. I've dipped my toes in occasionally, but am now looking to get back to my local shop on a weekly basis.

I've read some of Saga, Sex Criminals, and The Wicked and The Divine, and plan on catching up on those. I've also borrowed Low and East of West from a friend, but haven't started them yet. I read some Chew back in the day, but it didn't hold my interest. For someone that used to basically only read DC/Marvel, what else would you recommend? I tend to like things that are funny and/or establish a cool world.

Also, I don't want to get this thread off-topic, but I'm looking to get back into DC/Marvel stuff as well, and didn't see a similar thread in the DC discussions. I'm so far behind that it's possible I just didn't understand the references to New 52 and post-crisis and all that nonsense...

Thanks!
    Some great shouts from cc008 already! If you don't mind your spacefaring very R-rated for violence and can stand some pretty weird, wacko stuff, I would also recommend Prophet. But definitely check the art for that before you try, it's a bit of an acquired taste I think. If you like East of West, check out Black Monday Murders by the same writer, everyone on this forum seems to love it. Furthermore, if fantasy is your thing, Monstress and Autumnlands are very good picks. For horror I would look into Spread, and there's also a book called Rumble which I have a hard time placing in a genre, but I guess if you ever liked Hellboy/BPRD that's a really quirky lil' title to consider.

For DC, that whole New 52 refers to a sort of branding they did a while back. I think it relaunched their characters, anyway it wasn't very well received besides the Wonder Woman run by Brian Azzarello, Scott Snyder's Batman series, and the Swamp Thing and Animal Man books. If you wanna get into current DC, Batgirl was pretty highly acclaimed and kind of led the way for more cartoony takes on their characters. Also Supergirl has gotten a lot of praise since the recent 'rebirth' storylines, then there's the just-starting Doom Patrol too. And of course Batman is always popular and well-liked I think?

Marvel I would look at the Fraction/Aja run on Hawkeye, Squirrel Girl by Ryan North, Ms. Marvel is a big hit, the recent run on The Vision was great and perhaps Doctor Strange or Black Panther. Those are all fairly contained stories without cross-overs with Avengers and X-Men, so besides being good stories, they're good entrypoints if you wanna dive in deeper.

Anyway as you can see there are soooo many options, so just flip through a few things that catch your attention visually or ask your shop for pointers. Maybe sample a few things before committing to reading everything, because it's just impossible to keep up with everything haha! FWIW, I get the impression that right now people are more hyped on DC than Marvel for whatever reason. Perhaps because Marvel seems to be running a lot of cross-over events currently, but these things always fluctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Some great shouts from cc008 already! If you don't mind your spacefaring very R-rated for violence and can stand some pretty weird, wacko stuff, I would also recommend Prophet. But definitely check the art for that before you try, it's a bit of an acquired taste I think. If you like East of West, check out Black Monday Murders by the same writer, everyone on this forum seems to love it. Furthermore, if fantasy is your thing, Monstress and Autumnlands are very good picks. For horror I would look into Spread, and there's also a book called Rumble which I have a hard time placing in a genre, but I guess if you ever liked Hellboy/BPRD that's a really quirky lil' title to consider.

For DC, that whole New 52 refers to a sort of branding they did a while back. I think it relaunched their characters, anyway it wasn't very well received besides the Wonder Woman run by Brian Azzarello, Scott Snyder's Batman series, and the Swamp Thing and Animal Man books. If you wanna get into current DC, Batgirl was pretty highly acclaimed and kind of led the way for more cartoony takes on their characters. Also Supergirl has gotten a lot of praise since the recent 'rebirth' storylines, then there's the just-starting Doom Patrol too. And of course Batman is always popular and well-liked I think?

Marvel I would look at the Fraction/Aja run on Hawkeye, Squirrel Girl by Ryan North, Ms. Marvel is a big hit, the recent run on The Vision was great and perhaps Doctor Strange or Black Panther. Those are all fairly contained stories without cross-overs with Avengers and X-Men, so besides being good stories, they're good entrypoints if you wanna dive in deeper.

Anyway as you can see there are soooo many options, so just flip through a few things that catch your attention visually or ask your shop for pointers. Maybe sample a few things before committing to reading everything, because it's just impossible to keep up with everything haha! FWIW, I get the impression that right now people are more hyped on DC than Marvel for whatever reason. Perhaps because Marvel seems to be running a lot of cross-over events currently, but these things always fluctuate.
    Those cross-overs are the killer for me, which is why I started reading Image stuff a few years ago. They're so anti-new reader. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into those!

Those cross-overs are the killer for me, which is why I started reading Image stuff a few years ago. They're so anti-new reader. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into those!
    Same here haha, I was reading Ultimate Spider-Man and the like, Captain Marvel a bit later. And those would just get dragged into cross-overs that felt like they derailed the series every few storylines. Don't wish to imply that cross-overs are always a bad idea, there's a very short Daredevil/Punisher/Spider-Man one I liked fairly recently for example. But yeah it's so much more convenient to just have a linear story where you don't need to check wikipedia every 6 issues to see if someone decided you should've read the recent issue of Green Lantern before moving on.

There's some Image books that do it too of course, Spawn and Savage Dragon recently. I liked the Revival/Chew cross-over too since it was sold as a separate issue with no bearing on the storylines of either series; easy to ignore, but a fun addition for those who want to read it.

What is the general consensus on "Revival"?

I read the first issue and enjoyed it enough where I am interested in following up. However, I don't really see this title talked about and it seems to be overshadowed by other Image titles.

Is it worth picking up the first deluxe hardcover?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

I read the first issue and enjoyed it enough where I am interested in following up. However, I don't really see this title talked about and it seems to be overshadowed by other Image titles.

I love it. I just picked up the third deluxe. Later this year the fourth will be there. That's the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

Gonna be boring here and quote myself from a year or two ago if you don't mind:
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Revival however, is a very good choice imo. It's a very slow burn though, we're like 2+ years in now and the plot just meanders all over the place while barely offering answers. If you prefer series that are in for the long haul, then Revival will suit you well. It's creepy, occasionally gory, and a pretty likable main character (which seems pretty rare in zombie-esque stories). I read it in trade and it always surprises me how much I like this series, despite not thinking about it that often.
    I still stand behind this assesment for the bulk of the series. The last year has been super tense and ramping up towards it's finale, but before that they were constantly throwing curveballs and starting new storylines instead of working towards a resolution. You liked issue #1, and I'd say it keeps up that vibe pretty much throughout. Revival is super solid and reads best in trade/hardcover collection, so in that regard I would say it's a great pick!

Thank you both for replying so quickly!!!

I will grab the first HC and give it a go!

All-New Member

Just wanted to say thanks to people who've rec'd Birthright in this thread - I grabbed v1 on Comixology a couple of days ago as it was cheap and loved it! Looking forward to reading more.