Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Battle Pope by Robert Kirkman is still a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Battle Pope by Robert Kirkman is still a great read.
    Agreed, I don't think people talk about his work on those books enough.
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast

Anyone reading Rasputin? How is it?

All-New Member

Default Getting back into comics - need suggestions on Image pull list

Hi All,

I've been a collector of comics on and off for over 30 years but have been out for 2 1/2 years or so. I've moved to Europe a couple of years ago, so getting comics here is expensive, so I was hoping for a little help on my pull list - Due to the cost, I need to cut this list to roughly half of what it is (but I'm greedy with comics, so will likely cut only 25% or so ). I am posting similar threads in Marvel, DC, and Independent forums, just so I can reach people who might help.

I'm a fan of DC, Marvel, Image, and Independents - primarily superhero, horror, and sci-fi (if done well). I'd welcome any suggestions on which comics are great and which are not, as well as any comics that I may want to wait a month or two on, if they're mid-arc and I'd be lost. I've read a LOT of reviews and have already cut this down some, so really hoping for some suggestions. Also, am I missing something I should be getting? So without further ado, here's a list of the Image comics I've got on my pull list so far:

CHRONONAUTS #1 CVR A MURPHY & HOLLINGSWORTH (MR)
    DESCENDER #1 (MR)
    INVISIBLE REPUBLIC #1 (MR)
    SOUTHERN CROSS #1
    BIG MAN PLANS #1 (OF 4) (MR)
    RED ONE #1 (MR)
    BEYOND BELIEF #1
    68 JUNGLE JIM GUTS N GLORY ONE SHOT CVR A JONES & FOTOS (MR)
    WALKING DEAD #138 (MR)
    NAMELESS #2 (MR)
    SECRET IDENTITIES #2

Thanks so much!

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

This may not be at all what you are looking for and feel free to ignore my advice. I read everything in trades and technically have no pull list, however, I too took a few years off from comics and came back and the discovery that has brought me the most joy is "Prophet" by Brandon Graham. It's a wonderful, weird synthesis of european science-fiction, conan-esque fantasy, and few superhero stories thrown in for good measure. It's also almost done and not hugely long (five trades when it's all done I am told).

Of that list I've only read Walking Dead, which is great. I'd recommend going and getting the first few trades before jumping into the monthly. Or at least start at issue 127 when it jumps ahead 2 years.

Other Image books I read are:
    Wytches (Legitimately terrifying story about witches that live in trees in the woods)
    Birthright (a kid gets taken to a fantasy dimension like CS Lewis style, but comes back a year later as a grown adult)
    Death Vigil (a fun mini-series about Reapers who... you know what, I'm tired and I'm not even gonna try to explain this one. It's kind of difficult to describe, but it's really awesome, and has beautiful artwork)
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

If you like super hero comics, Invincible is the best one on the shelves.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    If you like super hero comics, Invincible is the best one on the shelves.
    And Secret Identities by Jay Faerber launches this year also looks promising.

I lean toward the sci-fi end of the spectrum, and what Image has put out that I truly love Storm Dogs, Elephantmen, and Lazarus. First one's a finished mini with a second volume on the way, the others are on-going.

Other faves include Manifest Destiny, The Fuse, Saga, and Revival, all on-going.

I second picking up the first volumes of anything that catches your fancy. At $10 a pop, it just makes sense.

It's a little hard for us to give feedback on your pull list when only one of those series has even put out an issue!

If you are trying to save money and have to deal with difficulties overseas, I would highly recommend buying trades instead of single issues and getting them from Amazon. That is definitely the cheapest method I can think of. Also, if you wait for trades you'll be able to get a sense of which series have been well received and are probably at least worth a shot, versus others that have gotten uniformly poor reviews that you don't even have to bother with.

If you insist on single issues then you could consider going digital as then the comics should not cost any more than standard price.

Personally I would recommend Saga, Southern Bastards, and Deadly Class. The latter two only have one trade out so far, and the first has four volumes but it is worth it. I also really like Chew but that is about nine volumes deep and would require much more money to catch up on
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

These are my favorite comics from the Image line, all of which I would humbly recommend to any comic reader:

East of West
    Lazarus
    Velvet
    IXth Generation.....First issue recently came out, so it's an easy jumping-on point, although it spun off from the previous series, Aphrodite IX.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Going digital and waiting for sales is the cheapest option. Just requires patience and some degree of self control...
    Current favourites: BPRD, Baltimore, Deadly Class, Zero, Prophet, Lazarus, East of West, MindMGMT

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Anyone reading Rasputin? How is it?
    Seemed fun at first and now I'm really confused about what the story is and where it is going. Constant flashbacks and flashforwards, some supernatural stuff, I generally have no idea what is going on or what the point of the book is anymore and I might stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydonia- View Post
    Seemed fun at first and now I'm really confused about what the story is and where it is going. Constant flashbacks and flashforwards, some supernatural stuff, I generally have no idea what is going on or what the point of the book is anymore and I might stop reading it.
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at with it. Maybe it'll read better in chunks.
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast