Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    It's worth it. And the last issue really threw me for a loop. Really looking forward to issue 5.
    It looks really good, it's kinda between this and jumping in on The Humans for me, both stories are right up my alley.

Anyone reading Ghosted? Haven't heard much about it 'round these parts.

All-New Member

I'm a little late to this thread but Image is constantly putting out new books. I also happen to think that Saga is one of the most over-rated books out there. Yes, it's good, but it's not that good. I'm tired of hearing about Saga.
    These are the books you should be checking out, in my opinion, meaning these are some of my favorites...

1. Invincible- Easily the best story out there. You want an action drama? Lots of gore and comedy with some of the best art and writing out there. This is a superhero comic unlike any other. It's not Superman or any other big 2 hero who fights their villains in a rotation. Invincible is about a kid who has powers (strength, speed, [near] inulnerability [he gets his ass kicked a lot, too]) and you get to see him grow up from a goofy teenager to now a dad. His villains have great back stories and the character development is outstanding throughout. If I could only buy 1 comic book, it would be Invincible.
    2. Chew- Weird and absolutely hilarious story about a guy who gets psychic visions from anything he eats (except beets). He can see where the fruit was grown or the cow being slaughtered, or a human being murdered (yes, he does eat some people). Chicken is outlawed because it was the cause of the bird flu (or was it?) and there is also a cybernetic rooster commando.
    3. Walking Dead- It's the Walking Dead, 'nuff said. The show does not follow the comic exactly, though, so you can't just watch the show or just read the comic. They are different. They have the same general storyline but things play out differently. Different people are alive in the different mediums, deaths are different. Read it.
    4. Outcast- Notice, I have the 3 Robert Kirkman series on here? Why? Because they're all awesome. This is a horror story kind of like the Exorcist but you follow a guy who has a special ability when exorcising people. There are no spinning heads or anything, it's generally more subtle than that but he does have a tragic backstory.
    5. Deadly Class- Kids go to school to learn to be assassins. You follow Marcus a punk kid with another tragic backstory. Read solicitations of this or previews. They can explain it better than I can.
    6. The Humans- It's been said many times, Sons of Anarchy meets Planet of the Apes. It's more than that though. It's a great story and follows a guy who just got back from Vietnam and has PTSD and he's trying to adjust back to life as a "Human". One thing I find hilarious is they don't call each other "dude" or "bro". They call each other 'mate. It's short for primate and I don't know why but I think that's hilarious.
    7. Manifest Destiny- Great historical fiction with great art. They go out on their journey and find all these fantastical things, creatures never heard of and they're put in situations because they've never encountered these creatures before. Also, Sacajawea is a (pregnant) badass.
    8. Spread- There is a comment by the writer Justin Jordan above. It explains it very well.
    9. Nameless- Grant Morrison is good at writing confusing stories. This is about the occult and a thief who steals occult related items. He is tasked by a group of people to find the cause of an impending disaster. Pick it up. I's awesome.
    10. Rumble- A scarecrow with a sword fighting demons with a kid in his twenties who has no idea what's going on in the middle of it. You later find out how the scarecrow warrior came to be but that's not until issue 3.
    11. Southern Bastards- About a southern town that loves football. And the football coach is a crime boss who everybody is afraid of. It's really an awesome story.
    12.Manhattan Projects- Yet another historical fiction book. The Manhattan Projects was the government program that created the atom bomb. Albert Einstein is an alcoholic. Joseph Oppenheimer is a cannibalistic schizophrenic that gains the soul of everyone he eats. Harry Truman is throwing human sacrifices and orgies in the oval office. JFK is doing drugs with prostitutes in the oval office. Read it! It's awesome and absolutely hilarious.
    13. Copperhead- A space western. The sheriff is a human woman who was stationed here and isn't too happy. Her deputy is a surly giant guinea pig alien who was the enemy in the previous war but that was prior to the treaty. Another awesome book.
    14. Proof- A government agency that tracks and captures cryptids (animal who have been witnessed but no evidence exists as to their true existence [chupacabra, big foot, Loch Ness Monster are all cryptids]). The 2 main characters are a human former FBI agent and her partner who is Big Foot. I only have only read the first arc but I plan on getting the rest (it's not an ongoing series anymore).
    15. Spawn- If you don't know what Spawn is and you're asking about Image books, you need to look it up immediately.
    16. Peter Panzerfaust- a re-imagining of the whole Peter Pan story, the Lost Boys are all teenage French resistance fighters in WWII and Peter Panzerfaust is an America boy who just happened to be there during that time and leads them.
    17. God Hates Astronauts- I actually forgot this one, I saw somebody else's comment and came and added it. It is about a superhero who was beaten up and his head was "sploded" so he got the head of a ghost cow. Farmers are building rocket silos and going into space and Stargrass as he is known is tasked with stopping them. There are also crab people from Carbulon and King Tiger Eating a Cheeseburger who is always eating a cheeseburger. It is the dumbest comic I have ever read but it makes me literally laugh out loud. I don't know how Ryan Browne can consistently keep it this funny. His artwork is amazing, too. If you're on the fence about this, you're in luck. He originally did it as a webcomic so you can search and read the entire first five issues for free online. I'm pretty sure it's just godhatesastronauts.com . If you're looking for a good laugh, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't actually read it but Cowboy Ninja Viking is supposed to be awesome. It's about assassins who were programmed with multiple personalities. There is supposed to be a film coming out starring Chris Pratt so if you want to read it, buy the trades. Single issues are ridiculous now.

Okay, there are tons more awesome Image series. It goes through all the eras. They've been around since the early 90's. These are mostly current books but you should definitely search for yourself and find some older ones as well. Hope this helps anyone who's looking for some Image books to read. I'm just tired of making this list now.
    Last edited by g_money_christmas; 03-09-2015 at 10:09 PM.

BANNED

Question: Is "The Manhattan Projects" done? I can't seem to find any more solicits after issue 25.

Quote Originally Posted by g_money_christmas View Post
    I'm a little late to this thread but Image is constantly putting out new books. I also happen to think that Saga is one of the most over-rated books out there. Yes, it's good, but it's not that good. I'm tired of hearing about Saga.
    These are the books you should be checking out, in my opinion, meaning these are some of my favorites...

1. Invincible- Easily the best story out there. You want an action drama? Lots of gore and comedy with some of the best art and writing out there. This is a superhero comic unlike any other. It's not Superman or any other big 2 hero who fights their villains in a rotation. Invincible is about a kid who has powers (strength, speed, [near] inulnerability [he gets his ass kicked a lot, too]) and you get to see him grow up from a goofy teenager to now a dad. His villains have great back stories and the character development is outstanding throughout. If I could only buy 1 comic book, it would be Invincible.
    You clearly have great taste. Really echos my feelings on my all time favorite comic series.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Question: Is "The Manhattan Projects" done? I can't seem to find any more solicits after issue 25.
    No, it's coming back sometime this year. From what I've heard it'll be a different type of story after 25.

BANNED

No, it's coming back sometime this year. From what I've heard it'll be a different type of story after 25.
    Thanks for the info!

BANNED

I don't know if I posted earlier but, after re-reading the series (third time through), there is nothing better than Morning Glories. It is an amazing book. Lazarus and The Fuse are both damn good but MG is in another world altogether.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/postal-1

I'm really enjoying Postal. After two issues in the books it has really impressed me so far. The artwork is really good and so far the story has been very interesting with some intriguing twists and turns along the way.

Here's the pitch on why to read Invincible (and this week's issue is only 25 cents!!):

http://www.skybound.com/jumping-into...ith-issue-118/
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Anyone reading Ghosted? Haven't heard much about it 'round these parts.
    It's one of the few current Image titles I had a hard time getting into. The characters fell flat for more (with maybe Anderson being the exception here) and the story felt very cliche in the first arc. I had no desire whatsoever to continue the series.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Two new Books that I am loving right now : Birthright and Descender

They are definitely worth a read.

It's worth it. And the last issue really threw me for a loop. Really looking forward to issue 5.
    I just finished #5 and this book (Drifter) is fantastic!
    Last edited by Detox; 04-24-2015 at 12:26 PM.

All-New Member

Im new to Image and i only collect the TPBs version. So far, Im loving SAGA, Low, Sex Criminals and Jupiter's Legacy. Id appreciate it if you guys can recommend new ttiles for me given these preferences. Ive been reading up on this thread though. TIA if anyone will bother answering

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
    Im new to Image and i only collect the TPBs version. So far, Im loving SAGA, Low, Sex Criminals and Jupiter's Legacy. Id appreciate it if you guys can recommend new ttiles for me given these preferences. Ive been reading up on this thread though. TIA if anyone will bother answering
    Anyone reading Saga should, in my opinion, seriously consider trying out Alex + Ada. 2 Tpbs out right now! As for more sci-fi stuff, Descender is getting rave reviews (tpb out in a few months) and I would recommend Prophet, which has 4 tpbs out now (although that borders on 'weird', but sooo creative). Lastly, if you're into fantasy/magic stuff, look at some previews from Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw, trade is out soon too.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!