Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
    Im new to Image and i only collect the TPBs version. So far, Im loving SAGA, Low, Sex Criminals and Jupiter's Legacy. Id appreciate it if you guys can recommend new ttiles for me given these preferences. Ive been reading up on this thread though. TIA if anyone will bother answering
    I mostly collect Image trades too and here are some of my current faves:

Historical Exploration: Manifest Destiny (currently 2 trades out)
    Pre-Apocalyptic: Sheltered (all 3 trades are out)
    Sci-fi Mindf**k: Prophet (currently 4 of 5 trades out)
    Detective with powers: Chew (currently 9 of 12 trades out)
    Western Fantasy/Sci-fi: East of West (currently 3 trades out)
    Pulp Action Adventure: Five Ghosts (currently 3 trades out)
    What the hell did I just read/Awesome wackiness: God Hates Astronauts (currently 2 trades out)

There are a metric ton of other great trades out by Image right now. Keep an eye out for The Autumnlands, Drifter, Southern Cross, and Invisible Republic all coming out in the next two months and all sci-fi/fantasy settings.
    Last edited by Dorktron; 05-05-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

East of West
    Manhattan Projects (Not the best, but loads of fun)
    Black Science
    Lazarus
    Southern Bastards
    The Wicked + the Divine
    Last edited by MegaManChiefFan; 05-15-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

East of West
    Invincible
    Jupiter's Legacy
    Velvet
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

If you're a big X-Men fan, which Image comic is the best read?

I am willing to try one Image book, but wanna get the one that suits my heart best.

What can you guys tell me about the book, that will heat up my wish to get it?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

I am willing to try one Image book, but wanna get the one that suits my heart best.
    Ehm well it depends, what do you like most about X-Men? Group dynamics? The superhero aspects? The misunderstood minority facing pressure from the majority? Or is it more specific things like time travel, or a certain artstyle? What are things you don't want to read?

It would probably be easier to approach when you have an idea of what you're looking for. For example I could recommend you Saga because it's a well-liked sci-fi/fantasy thing in space with a big cast, lots of character interaction and players from all sides of the conflict with different interests. But maybe you would find the violence and sexuality off-putting.

Invincible is probably Image's premiere superhero book, C.O.W.L. is about superheroes forming a union. Lastly for an odd one: if you happen to be into the Odyssey or Greek myth, consider ODY-C? Its writing is not exactly accessible but the artwork is lush, lots of action and some big idea stuff at play which you might dig if you're into Claremont's X-Men. Although if Greek myth isn't your thing, skip it - it's proven rather divisive so far.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Ehm well it depends, what do you like most about X-Men? Group dynamics? The superhero aspects? The misunderstood minority facing pressure from the majority? Or is it more specific things like time travel, or a certain artstyle? What are things you don't want to read?

It would probably be easier to approach when you have an idea of what you're looking for. For example I could recommend you Saga because it's a well-liked sci-fi/fantasy thing in space with a big cast, lots of character interaction and players from all sides of the conflict with different interests. But maybe you would find the violence and sexuality off-putting.

Invincible is probably Image's premiere superhero book, C.O.W.L. is about superheroes forming a union. Lastly for an odd one: if you happen to be into the Odyssey or Greek myth, consider ODY-C? Its writing is not exactly accessible but the artwork is lush, lots of action and some big idea stuff at play which you might dig if you're into Claremont's X-Men. Although if Greek myth isn't your thing, skip it - it's proven rather divisive so far.
    If it is the team dynamics you're looking for, I'd recommend an older Image title Dynamo 5. One of my favorite superhero team books ever. It is collected in 5 trades and the first 4 story arcs are drawn by current Xmen artist Mahmud Asrar (and he is awesome).
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

BANNED

Saga
    East of West
    Outcast
    Sidekick
    Dream police
    Sex Criminals
    Southern Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    If it is the team dynamics you're looking for, I'd recommend an older Image title Dynamo 5. One of my favorite superhero team books ever. It is collected in 5 trades and the first 4 story arcs are drawn by current Xmen artist Mahmud Asrar (and he is awesome).
    This was going to be my recommendation as well. Alsp secret identities is really good but it is only three issues in.

Amazing Member

no particular order, and not X-men related: (for that Id recommend Valiants Harbinger, although I hated how that got sucked up in the "Universe"- building attempt.
    Stray Bullets
    Fade Out
    Manhattan Projects
    Saga
    Southern Bastards
    Rat Queens
    Last edited by martianarts; 06-17-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Is Ten Grand worth a read?

These are my must reads:
    Birthright
    East of West
    Deadly Class
    Jupiter's Legacy (not so much Jupiter's Circle)
    Nailbiter
    Rasputin
    Sex Criminals

Also like:
    Descender
    Southern Bastards
    The Trees
    Velvet

It depends on what aspects of the X-Men most speak to you, I think. Off the top of my head, though:

For themes of family, outcasts and vigilantes, and the futility of prejudice, I'd recommend Saga. It's a sci-fantasy epic that comes with a side of magic and weird powers. A lot of the character designs wouldn't be out of place in an X-Men book either. It's definitely a mature readers book, though, and can get trippy as hell.

Firebreather (still available in trade) also deals with themes of family and being an outsider trying to figure out your place in a hostile world, but it's much closer to a superhero feel with a lighter overall tone. If not for some of the violence, I'd say it's pretty close to being an all-ages book.

Not Like Us could easily read as a more unpleasantly grounded take on the X-Men. Turns out, people who band together into secret vigilante enclaves because they are shunned, persecuted, and mistreated for being gifted with superpowers don't necessarily give half a **** about the world that hates and fears them. I enjoy it a lot, but it does tend to take some of the classic tropes out back for a curb stomp.

Anyway, those would be my top three.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
    Is Ten Grand worth a read?
    If you like JMS stuff with a nod to the Hellblazer influence, I'd say yes. This series was notable because of Ben Templesmith dropping out about halfway thru. CP Smith wasn't a huge dropoff in quality but if you're a fan of Templesmith , that may sway your final judgment of the book.

So i'm looking for something from image on the street level. Who would you guys recommend? Think batman, punisher, daredevil.

so far i've read 4 books from image. I usually pick them up in trade format.

The books i've read:

saga
    nowhere men
    sex criminals
    sex

Incredible Member

I read a lot of image books, but feel like I've missed some quality titles along the way. What are y'all's though on:

Autumnlands
    Birthright
    Copperhead
    Outcast
    Thief of Thieves