Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

If you like Nailbiter, check out Ghosted, same writer.

I want to check out Clone, but it ends at issue 20. Out of the rest, I've only read Manifest Destiny and I really enjoy that one.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Sheltered and Manifest Destiny is awesome, can't go wrong. Manifest Destiny gets a lot better after the first arc but Sheltered grabs hold of you on the first issue and never lets up. Fantastic series being made into a movie as we speak.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    If you like Nailbiter, check out Ghosted, same writer.

I want to check out Clone, but it ends at issue 20. Out of the rest, I've only read Manifest Destiny and I really enjoy that one.
    Should probably update the first post with stuff im up to date with (ghosted being one of them and loving it), just didn't want to flood the first post lol. Yeh I don't really like picking up mini-series (like Clone if it ends at 20), prefer ongoings

What is Manifest Destiny like? From the previews I have seen kind of reminds me of a less sci fi black science
    Last edited by Davenex; 08-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sheltered from your list. It is a pre-apocalyptic tale about a group of teens who take over a settlement and chaos ensues. It has excellent art and great character development with some graphic violence added in for good measure.

I would also recommend Chew highly. The characters are sublime and the art is excellent. It is about a cibopath detective who gets psychic images through tasting things.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

A lot of people like Sheltered but if I remember right, it ends at issue 18.

Manifest Destiny is re-telling of the Lewis & Clark Expedition but with fantasy aspects to it. There are 9 issues out, 1-6 have been collected, so its easy to catch up.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Manifest Destiny re-imagines Lewis and Clark's expedition in 1804 as they're trying to explore and map out new territory. Just a comic that's a ton of fun and doesn't take itself too serious. I've read both Black Science and Manifest Destiny and I've enjoyed Manifest Destiny a whole lot more. Matter of preference I guess but it has gotten some great reviews here the last few months. I do have an affinity towards stories set during the age of exploration, discovering new worlds though. Love the innocent sense of wonder I get from Manifest Destiny.

Unfortunately a lot of Image titles will be mini series if that's not your thing. Sheltered will end on issue #15 but that's how the creators wanted the series to end. I used to be like you a few months ago where I would hate to pick up mini series and get really annoyed. I've since come full circle and don't mind them at all. Starlight is probably one of my most favorite series of all time and I would've missed out on that if I decided not to pick it up because it was a six issue mini. Also sometimes a title that starts off as a mini becomes an ongoing because of great sales and the creators want to continue to work on it.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Anyone reading Saga should consider getting the first trade of Alex + Ada. Unless you're only reading Saga for the weird space stuff, rather than the emotional core at heart. Alex + Ada is basically a 'boy meets girl/android' kinda deal, and is kind of understated in tone but very well done.
    Like the wacky space stuff better than the emotional core? Then go for Prophet or Multiple Warheads. Both are Brandon Graham series, Prophet has different artists. Granted I'm a big fan of Graham (see my avatar), but hot damn these are some of the most bonkers series out there. Prophet is nearing its end with about 7 issues left to go, but it's worth looking for the earlier trades -- absolutely bananas sci-fi stuff. Multiple Warheads (early stuff is NSFW) is my favourite series of Graham since he also draws it, but the release schedule for that is about 4 issues per year.

From your list: Sheltered is one I actually didn't like, but I seem to be a minority there so disregard my opinion. Revival however, is a very good choice imo. It's a very slow burn though, we're like 2+ years in now and the plot just meanders all over the place while barely offering answers. If you prefer series that are in for the long haul, then Revival will suit you well. It's creepy, occasionally gory, and a pretty likable main character (which seems pretty rare in zombie-esque stories). I read it in trade and it always surprises me how much I like this series, despite not thinking about it that often.

Lastly: A VOICE IN THE DARK. This is another personal favourite. The first 7 issues were black and white, colour starts at the soon-beginning 2nd arc. It's a serial killer kind of deal, starring a very diverse cast in terms of gender, sexuality and race. A Voice In The Dark is written, drawn, lettered and inked all by Larime Taylor. Which is impressive in itself on a monthly schedule, but since he's disabled, he does ALL OF THAT BY MOUTH. It's an exciting story unlike any comic out there and yet it gets criminally overlooked (probably because it started in black & white?), so definitely give it a shot. First issue (double-sized too!) can be downloaded for free here: http://topcow.com/files/AVITD001_reader_web.pdf
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

I've come full circle on minis as well, but I wouldn't really consider Sheltered a mini. Aren't most minis around 6-10 issues? Does anyone know the exact terminology on what determines whether something is a mini or not?
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

If you love Invincible you should be reading Savage Dragon.

Out of the ones on your list I would suggest Chew. The most consistently funny monthly comic around.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I've come full circle on minis as well, but I wouldn't really consider Sheltered a mini. Aren't most minis around 6-10 issues? Does anyone know the exact terminology on what determines whether something is a mini or not?
    Groo has a new title coming out that's 12 issues and it's called a maxi-series, so I think that's the term for anything over 10 issues.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Is Clone a planned 20 issue series? Or was it cancelled at 20? Because a canceled series is still an ongoing. Even if it's ending.

Incredible Member

Of those you listed, I would probably go with Deadly Class. I would also recommend Lazarus, The Mercenary Sea, and Five Ghosts for your consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Manifest Destiny re-imagines Lewis and Clark's expedition in 1804 as they're trying to explore and map out new territory. Just a comic that's a ton of fun and doesn't take itself too serious. I've read both Black Science and Manifest Destiny and I've enjoyed Manifest Destiny a whole lot more. Matter of preference I guess but it has gotten some great reviews here the last few months. I do have an affinity towards stories set during the age of exploration, discovering new worlds though. Love the innocent sense of wonder I get from Manifest Destiny.
    I think I might just grab Manifest Destiny as one of my next two titles to read

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    If you love Invincible you should be reading Savage Dragon.
    I just checked out the image page for savage dragon, so many issues out. Is the series consistently good?

Some great suggestions by everyone here tho, will do more research before making a final decision on the second title I'll be picking up but at the moment the first title I'm gonna be going for is Manifest Destiny. So keep your suggestions coming guys

Deadly Class! The first arc just ended, issue #7 comes out in September.