Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davenex View Post
    I just checked out the image page for savage dragon, so many issues out. Is the series consistently good?
    Any long running title has its rough patches (I'm not the biggest fan of SD 104-112ish for example). But over-all? It's my most favorite monthly comic of all time. So yeah, pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I've come full circle on minis as well, but I wouldn't really consider Sheltered a mini. Aren't most minis around 6-10 issues? Does anyone know the exact terminology on what determines whether something is a mini or not?
    Recently at least, minis seem to vary between 3-8 issues. With 4 and 6 issues being the more prevalent ones, presumably because those collect well into single trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Groo has a new title coming out that's 12 issues and it's called a maxi-series, so I think that's the term for anything over 10 issues.
    Yeah maxis really seem to be 'more than 8, but less than 13' but admittedly it's not really a term you see much. Not sure if there are any strict definitions!

I think the whole business of calling something a mini, maxi or ongoing series may slowly be ending though. Whereas ongoing series used to dominate the industry, we're now seeing an increase in 'full stories' at the indies. I.e.: stories with a beginning, middle and end, rather than the Marvel/DC philosophy of an endless soap opera. Particularly now that Marvel is largely going in a direction of almost yearly relaunched volumes (I wouldn't be surprised if this soon became standard practice: just Daredevil 2015, followed by Daredeveil 2016), the whole idea of an 'ongoing' gets kind of muddied too.

Really, the only useful term is 'one-shot', and I like it when solicitations mention something being '#2 (of 8)' since that allows me to budget more effectively. Either way, whatever the semantics, its ultimately about the story inside!
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Recently at least, minis seem to vary between 3-8 issues. With 4 and 6 issues being the more prevalent ones, presumably because those collect well into single trades.
    I think the reason I put the max at 10 issues was because The Wake was advertised as a mini and was 10 issues. Plus, it will be in one TPB. But yeah, the terms are pretty much moot. I just have a hard time calling something that's going to be 3-4 trades (Sheltered) a "mini".
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I think the reason I put the max at 10 issues was because The Wake was advertised as a mini and was 10 issues. Plus, it will be in one TPB. But yeah, the terms are pretty much moot. I just have a hard time calling something that's going to be 3-4 trades (Sheltered) a "mini".
    Oh yeah The Wake is 10, good point! I was thinking more along the lines of Trillium or recent minis over at Boom (Lumberjanes was first announced as 8 issues, before becoming an ongoing; Midas Flesh is 8 issues, but weirdly will be collected in 2 trades). On the other end of the spectrum, Dark Horse has things like POP (4 issues), Breath of Bones (3) and the upcoming Tiger Lung collection is 3 stories from Dark Horse Presents I think... Just cherrypicking of course; I like that there's no standard to be honest. If a story needs 3 rather than 4 issues, it should not be stretched out to 4 to fit a model. (This opens up a larger discussion about why most comics use the same paper size format - but we're already derailing this thread a bit!)

Either way, I agree that calling something like Sheltered a mini is kind of odd. Y: The Last Man is 60 issues with a pretty definitive ending, does that make it a mini? Maaaaybe the term 'limited' could be applied; but really I don't think we need to invent more terms to make things even more confusing. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. Stories having a proper start/middle/end structure should probably be the 'default' model; from which creators can of course deviate if it serves the story. The Marvel/DC superhero genre really is kind of weird in that there's rarely a definitive ending. But because those have dominated the U.S. comics market for decades we've just somehow accepted those types of 'ongoings' as the default model. Not to diss on Marvel/DC (been reading Ultimate Spidey on and off since 2000), but I prefer things with actual endings that give some form of closure (purely personal preference though).
    The 'eternal ongoing' works well for superheroes and some other genres, but in the broader scope of all possible stories being told, I think it should be regarded as somewhat of an anomaly.

I agree with you there Total, IMO I don't think something like Y the last man is considered a mini or maxi series. I would consider titles similar to be a series or ongoing(while it was running). Anything under 10 issues is probably a mini and anything that ends under 25 would be considered a maxi series I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    Is Clone a planned 20 issue series? Or was it cancelled at 20? Because a canceled series is still an ongoing. Even if it's ending.
    Cancelled:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/in...o/1100-149656/
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

The Claw of Justice!

The only Image title I read (besides an occasional issue of Invincible) is Who is Jake Ellis?. The story is good, and the art is absolutely amazing. The series going on right now is called Where is Jake Ellis?. You should give that a try.

Southern Bastards is one of my favourites. I highly recommend that one!

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Southern Bastards is one of my favourites. I highly recommend that one!
    What exactly is Southern Bastards, all the articles I've read are vague lol. All I understand is that its a revenge tale? Justified meets something else?

The Claw of Justice!

What is Zero about? I'm very new to Image (I've read a little Invincible and Walking Dead, but the only series I follow is Who is Jake Ellis?). I heard that Zero had one issue illustrated by Tonci Zonjic (my favorite artist) so now I'm wondering if the book is good.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    What is Zero about? I'm very new to Image (I've read a little Invincible and Walking Dead, but the only series I follow is Who is Jake Ellis?). I heard that Zero had one issue illustrated by Tonci Zonjic (my favorite artist) so now I'm wondering if the book is good.
    Well aren't you lucky! That exact issue (#9) is available online for free for a few days! Just scroll down here for a bit, you can download it from the Image website, ComiXology, or just a straight up .pdf file if you click on the Dropbox link: http://imagecomics.tumblr.com/post/9...eart-of-it-all

That said, Zero is an espionage story about a guy called Zero. Don't think James Bond though, Zero goes to some of the darkest places humanity goes. Very violent in a relentless and brutal kind of way. Every issue is drawn by a different creator, and they all work as stand-alone ones, but if you read them all you get a nice picture of the over-all world. If you end up liking it, definitely go back and read the first trade; that one ends on a REALLY interesting note.

A cautionary word: Kot's style is not for everyone. The dialogue and text in general are VERY restrained and minimal. It's tightly plotted and lets the art do the heavy lifting, so don't go in expecting a goofy/easy action story where everything gets explained. Also, while it is heavy on violence, Zero is (in my opinion) always about human suffering. Violence and war are not fun or worth glorifying, and Kot will make sure you're aware of it. It's a good series in my opinion, not my favourite, but Kot always has interesting things to say and the art always varies from good to great.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Anything with Rick Remender's name on the cover is worth checking out in my opinion. Deadly Class, Black Science, and now LOW.
    I'll second (third? fourth?) Black Science and Low, but haven't been able to really get into Deadly Class. East of West and COWL are really great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dedpool79 View Post
    I'll second (third? fourth?) Black Science and Low, but haven't been able to really get into Deadly Class. East of West and COWL are really great as well.
    Deadly Class was the first Image comic I actually bought and read, so I have an affinity for it. I also like the grounded nature and the punk rock themes Remender uses in it.

Deadly Class is excellent. To date, the best I have read from Remender. The characters ring true, you can feel Remender is pouring his own experience and heart in it. The whole assassin school stuff is really just icing on top. And the art is gorgeous.

Other image titles I enjoy:
    Lazarus
    Black Science
    anything Brubaker

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
    Deadly Class is excellent. To date, the best I have read from Remender. The characters ring true, you can feel Remender is pouring his own experience and heart in it. The whole assassin school stuff is really just icing on top. And the art is gorgeous.

Other image titles I enjoy:
    Lazarus
    Black Science
    anything Brubaker
    Speaking of Brubaker, we're only one issue into THE FADE OUT, and it's already one of the best comics series I've read all year. Greatly looking forward to where it goes.