Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post

I bought the first issue of East of West when it released last year, but because of my budget and me being caught up in the Marvel NOW launch, I didn't keep reading. I mean to look for some back issues and catch up now.
    You should. East of West is a great comic.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    Mercenary Sea is awesome, it's set just before the United States enter WW2 and when Japan invaded China. I've got a history degree so I enjoyed the book for a number of reasons.
    I'm a big history buff myself.. is it tied into the book well? Or does the book just take place during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    You should. East of West is a great comic.
    I know my LCS has a handful of early back issues.. and I'm sure I can hunt down the rest from a couple other stores.

East of West is incredible.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'm a big history buff myself.. is it tied into the book well? Or does the book just take place during that time?
    It seems to just take place during that time, but it could tie in later in future issues. I'd (very) loosely call it historical fiction.

But if you're interested in history I'd check out "Two Generals" and "Northwest Passage" both by Scott Chantler. "Louis Riel" by Chester Brown is also worth reading. I know these aren't image books so they're a little off topic, but they're too good not to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    East of West is incredible.
    I second (third? fourth?) the vote for reading East of West. It might be Hickman's best stuff.

Hi folks. What are your thoughts on the following titles? I'm new to comics and CBR so hi!

Saga
    Dark Engine
    Copperhead
    Starlight
    Wytches

Quote Originally Posted by deckard181 View Post
    Hi folks. What are your thoughts on the following titles? I'm new to comics and CBR so hi!

Saga
    Dark Engine
    Copperhead
    Starlight
    Wytches
    Saga took me a bit to get into, but by the end of the second trade I was hooked; Copperhead has been awesome so far, but we haven't seen very much; Wytches might be the spookiest comic I've ever read (though Kirkman's Outcast is close!). I can't speak to the others, sorry. And welcome!

Thanks dedpool79! I read the first issue to Wytches this morning. It's great and I'm totally on board. Haven't tried the others yet but will let you all know what I think when I do.

I read Death Vigil too and I'm definitely on board for that one as well.

I love Saga and would recommend it to anybody. I've read the first 2 issues from Dark Engine and it's just ok for me. The story seems like it could be cool but might take a while to develop. The art is not my favorite and to be honest it's a little hard to tell what's going on sometimes. Just my two cents.

Saga
    Dark Engine
    Copperhead
    Starlight
    Wytches
    These are great choices, the only one I haven't read is Dark Engine. Starlight may be one of my most favorite comics ever, just so damn fun. I just love Goran Parlov's art, just a very beautiful book. Saga is the most popular Image comic here in our forums so there's a good shot that you might like it. Copperhead I'm really loving but I'm biased as I just love cheesy westerns. I thought the first 2 issues were really fun. I liked Wytches #1 but I'm not sure if I would continue with it. I'm not much of a horror fan so I don't know if it will keep my interest. That said I'm totally hooked on Nailbiter though as that title just grabbed me from the very first issue and never let up, love that title.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

At this point, Starlight and Copperhead look to be my favourites. Really enjoying everything else though. Am yet to pick up Saga but currently trying to catch up with Locke and Key. Thanks for all your help, folks.
    Pull: Copperhead, Dark Engine, Death Vigil, Locke & Key, Starlight, and Wytches.

Agree with East of West and Saga. I love both.

I also enjoy the Luther Strode stuff (I love Tradd Moore) and Shinku was also a good read.

At this point, Starlight and Copperhead look to be my favourites. Really enjoying everything else though. Am yet to pick up Saga but currently trying to catch up with Locke and Key. Thanks for all your help, folks.
    I actually JUST read Vol. 1 of Locke & Key for my podcast, we're discussing it on next week's show. I was blown away, and I cannot believe it took this long for me to finally read it, especially considering everyone kept telling me how great it was. I can't wait to dive into the rest.
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by dedpool79 View Post
    I second (third? fourth?) the vote for reading East of West. It might be Hickman's best stuff.
    Can't wait for Year 2 :12/10/14!!

Quote Originally Posted by dedpool79 View Post
    I actually JUST read Vol. 1 of Locke & Key for my podcast, we're discussing it on next week's show. I was blown away, and I cannot believe it took this long for me to finally read it, especially considering everyone kept telling me how great it was. I can't wait to dive into the rest.
    I'd be checking out your podcast next week. L&K is something I've been meaning to check out forever now so this would be perfect. Just in time too, there's a volume 1 Master's Edition coming out so I'll be getting that. http://www.amazon.ca/Locke-Key-Maste...asters+edition
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus