Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Am bored, so gonna start listing some recommendations for new readers here, might update later.

God Hates Astronauts: Bonkers comedy. Haven't a clue what's going on but it's a wild ride so far. Frankly the art isn't really my jam here, I don't like the colours a lot. But it's zany, hilarious, very foul-mouthed and stars a bunch of screw-up astronauts, owl burglars, lots of anthropomorphic animals doing weird stuff. Best sound effects I've ever seen, flip through this sometime.

Prophet: Speaking of Brandon Graham... Prophet used to be a Rob Liefeld thing about a bearded dude with an axe or something. You don't need to know any of that though, because this starts like 50 000 years later when clones meant to revive the human race come out of cryo-pods. Little narration with even fewer dialogue, it's pretty much just Conan in space. Delightfully inventive sci-fi drawn by some of the best talent in the industry (Stokoe, Simon Roy, Milogiannis, Graham himself, many others), a vast sprawling universe filled with things out to kill each other. An early issue features a caravan of huge animals who eat dirt and poop out diamonds, and a huge society has formed on their backs. It's "out there" stuff which you need to check out if you dig sci-fi. Also the trades are dirt cheap!

Great list, but I'd like to zero in on these two titles. Prophet has been so much fun, I really can't recommend this title enough. Graham has truly created an alien world with fresh takes on sci-fi. I can't wait to pick up volume 4 in February. It is a delicate balance between mystery and exploration and the balance is pitch perfect from Graham.

GHA is just hilarious. The sound effects alone make this comic worth reading. Where else can you see a guy get a nut shot with "INSULT!" added to the panel? Awesome.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

How long is this Pretty Deadly "hiatus" projected to last? Is there a chance the series is just done?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    How long is this Pretty Deadly "hiatus" projected to last? Is there a chance the series is just done?
    I am hoping to hear about it at Image Expo in January. I think I saw news where Emma Rios will be there, so maybe we will hear something from her. If there is no news at the Expo, I may have to go ahead and assume it's done.

It's a pretty darn good mini-series if they were to leave it alone though.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I am hoping to hear about it at Image Expo in January. I think I saw news where Emma Rios will be there, so maybe we will hear something from her. If there is no news at the Expo, I may have to go ahead and assume it's done.

Thanks for the reply, I've really been wanting to jump into this as an ongoing. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for good news in January.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post

Yeah Rios is confirmed to be there. That said, it's not entirely outside the realm of possibilities that she's there for another reason entirely. Brandon Graham is confirmed as well, and with the end of Prophet inching closer that's pretty much a dead give-away we'll finally get some more news on the 8House project. Rios is writing 4 issues for the 8House: Mirror arc (with Hwei Lim), plus she's drawing 5 pages per issue for that as well. Granted they're scheduled to be issues #9-12, so they're a little while off, and since Rios is mostly writing I'm hopeful she'll get a chance to start work on a second Pretty Deadly arc, but yeah...
    Some concept art can be found here: http://steinerfrommars.tumblr.com/po...ect-just-a-bit

Not to be a downer here, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we don't hear about Pretty Deadly beyond a mere mention for another 6 months or so... Keep in mind Emma Rios is ALSO doing covers for Hexed over at Boom!, and I imagine Kelly Sue DeConnick is pretty swamped with Captain Marvel, the currently launching Bitch Planet and is Ghost still running at Dark Horse? I remember DeConnick expressing at some point that another 2 arcs for Pretty Deadly were in the cards, so perhaps we can expect 2 more sets of 5 issues each over the coming years?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Fantastic Member

I want to throw out another vote for Prophet. While I also enjoy reading Saga and Lazarus, Prophet is the most interesting sci-fi book I'm reading. Now, I've only read the first trade so far, but I've got the second one ordered and am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    I want to throw out another vote for Prophet. While I also enjoy reading Saga and Lazarus, Prophet is the most interesting sci-fi book I'm reading. Now, I've only read the first trade so far, but I've got the second one ordered and am looking forward to it.
    I picked up the first trade, guess it's time I finally dive into it! I've yet to hear a single negative thing about it.
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast

BANNED

Everyone's taste is so different. I can only tell you what I enjoy reading:

BEST
    Lazarus
    Morning Glories

GOOD
    Trees
    Wytches
    The Fuse
    Umbral

OLDER AND GOOD
    Fell

GOOD BUT ERRATIC RELEASE
    Bedlam
    Nowhere Men
    Jupiter's Legacy

Saga and East of West are OK.

I think Image over-publishes but many of the titles are worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    Southern. Bastards.
    Hard to argue with this logic.

Just read the second installment of Drifter.
    I really enjoyed it! the art is breath-taking. Also, i'm a huge fan of "Dune", and this series is pretty siminalar to Frank Herbert's work.
    Just give it a try, you won't regret it!

So i started reading two image books: sex and saga.

Saga i like

Sex i read about 15 issues and it was too slow for me. I did like the keenan character and the female antihero though.

I recommend invincible and walking dead.
    I think they are good reads.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ4 View Post

Saga i like

Sex i read about 15 issues and it was too slow for me. I did like the keenan character and the female antihero though.
    I just finished Vol. 3 of Saga, and I love it, can't wait to pick up Vol. 4!
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by OJ4 View Post

Saga i like

Sex is deliberately slow. Basically what happens to Batman when he quits being Batman.