Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What's the general consensus of Snyder's Justice League ?

Question in the title.

What's the consensus ? Excellent, good, regular, bad or really bad. What do most fans think about it ?

Please no spoilers, I am currently reading it, just want to know everyone else's opinion.
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 05-09-2020 at 11:00 PM.

BANNED

I really enjoyed Snyder’s run. What I didn’t enjoy was the ending, it felt rushed and anticlimactic and a very obvious editorial move. It almost makes the whole run fall flat for me.
    Last edited by Elmo; 05-09-2020 at 10:58 PM.

BANNED

I don't want to speak for others, but from what I've seen, a lot of people were disappointed when it ended.

From what I read, I really didn't like it. I'm trying not to be curmudgeon-ish here, but it was very bad to me. The writing was at an amateurish level, the world building concepts were silly (Ultra-Violet Lantern), the story was dragged out and doesn't even conclude by the end, and there was an unconvincing and weird romance with Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter.

I get the sensation that Snyder wanted to channel his inner child in an attempt at bombastic and charmingly ridiculous stories that are incomprehensibly huge in scope, but what he ended up with was a dragged out mess that's boring to read and that loses sight of the characters and what it initially set out to do. For example, the Guardians are supposed to be keeping some secret from John Stewart or something. What is that secret? Beats the heck out of me. I don't think it was revealed. Snyder probably doesn't even know himself.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wasn't my cup of tea at all.
    I dropped it after the first half dozen issues.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Too many big stories took me to the edge of boredom.
    There’s only so much interest I can muster for characters fighting against a multi colored background for the fate of the universe/multiverse/whatever’s above multiverse.

I liked it overall, I’m genuinely a fan of Snyder and writers like him who try to do something fun and bombastic/energetic with it. As someone who likes Snyder’s writing and how he does thing I could go along for the ride and enjoy myself.

That being said I have some complaints, mainly the ending but not for the reason you might think. I understand that he choose to leave it on a cliffhanger the way he did. It was to build up suspense for Death Metal, which I can live with on some level. The problem I had was it ended and then went go read Hell Arisen. Hell Arisen looking back was not a bad book but I do wish it had come out after Justice League ended and maybe it should have been in the pages of the Justice League book instead of its own mini-series as it picked up so many threads from Justice League.

So yeah for the most part had a fun time, some things I didn’t like in the ending.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Really fun nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Really fun nonsense!
    Exactly this.

Synder is clearly pulling from the Morrison school of thought on the book, and I am all about that crazy, high-concept stuff. Now, Morrison's a really smart guy, maybe too smart for his own good, and you can see that in his work, while with Snyder it's more like anthem rock; it's not smart, it's just loud and wild. So it's a lot thinner than Morrison, but it's still a lot of fun.

This is what I want from a League book; huge threats, big cosmology, utilizing stuff from every corner of the DCU, and the biggest damn heroes there are (plus some people you wouldn't necessarily expect, just for spice). Not every issue or arc was solid, and the ending was a let down in typical "to be continued" DC fashion. But it's probably the most fun I've had with the League since.....McDuffie? Maybe the most fun I've had with the League since Morrison.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think it started pretty well.
    I love the cast and the world building. In the start, Justice League actually felt like a proper epic JL book for the first in ages (probably since Darkseid war, which was the only good JL story since McDuffie).
    But sometime along the way Snyder seemed to lose focus, characterizations suffered (especially Kendra's) and it all culminated in the least satisfying "ending" possible.
    My hope is that Death Metal can redeem it a bit, but Snyder's Justice League run will never truly work as a self-contained story, which is a shame because it really did have some great ingredients.

BANNED

I was excited when it was announced, then gave up after 4 or 5 issues. Not my cup of tea at all... Seemed like a mess.

Incredible Member

I liked it. It's the most meaningful and consequential Justice League run since Morrison. He plays with so much DC lore and in genuinely new and interesting ways. I actually like the bombastic manga style and I'm really looking forward to Death Metal. And I say this as someone who isn't crazy about Snyder's Batman.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It was good but no great especially after I heard so many good things about his runs on Batman and Swamp Thing. I felt like things were dragged out a little too long. I also didn't like the Hawkgirl/Martian Manhunter romance. I'm not sure why. It just seemed odd. His handling of the Cheetah was underwhelming at best. I felt like she was mostly there for show and didn't get anywhere near as many big moments as the other villains did. I also didn't care for Jorge Jiminez's art. I don't think he's a good match for this book. I felt like Jiminez struggled to keep up as there were a lot of inconsistencies in his art.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Question in the title.

What's the consensus ? Excellent, good, regular, bad or really bad. What do most fans think about it ?

Please no spoilers, I am currently reading it, just want to know everyone else's opinion.
    At first I thought you meant Zack Snyder's Justice League and I thought my head was going to explode with the essay I was about to write

Scott Snyder's Justice League though is stupid fun.

Reminds me a lot of early 90's stuff where the writer is flying by the seat of their pants and writing each issue as they come; well that's what I think was the case, because that's the only thing that explains the solitary nature of the run - it is completely detached from the rest of the DC Universe.

The art is gorgeous with anime-esque battles, but ultimately it feels like a Saturday morning cartoon

Started off good but got too Looney Tunes for me
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It started off strong, then quickly became a mess of overlong storyarcs padded out two or three issues longer than they needed to be. Meanwhile, rather than use all that bloat to expand up on any of the ideas Snyder was bringing up, they just sat there unexplored like John's ultraviolet ring.

I seems the twice monthly shipping really hurt the book, since Snyder was dealing with his child's health problems at the time, so he was understandably distracted. Add on to all this the editorial cluster**** that had been caused by Doomsday Clock's extreme delays and uncertainty over the DCU's status quo, and you've got a situation in which the comics themselves were not exactly putting their best foot forward.

There are some truly great moments in Snyder's run, but there's too much filler and creative dead-ends that I would have a hard time recommending it. That said, I am looking forward to Death Metal because it seems far more focused and hopefully has an actual ending rather than the series of set-ups with no offs that Justice League ended up being.