Fantastic Member

Default New Animated Line

Are we about to be given a new continuity, a new shared universe? What are people's thoughts? Is this what is about to happen? If so' what are expectations?

So far, the only things that have dropped are things like out of continuity/stand alone films.

Personally, if they do a new continuity, I would like to see other characters brought in that were previously left out. Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Jon Kent, etc. They don't necessarily need to redo Under the Red Hood or anything, maybe a quick reference as the 2010 film was good as is. But to at least include them in the same continuity would be a good start.

I think a new continuity/shared universe is inevitable eventually - but I don't believe the currently known upcoming movies (Superman: Man of Tomorrow, Batman: The Long Halloween) are going to be a part if it. So we'll just have to wait and see what announcements they make.

I'd prefer they go back to just standalone films or adapting particular stories. Though I guess a problem by this point is a question of what big name stuff is left to adapt, at least for the ones they consistently use (Batman, Justice League, and Superman).

I mean I personally want to see Injustice or DCeased animated films, so if we see stuff like that I’d personally be fine with stand alone movies.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean I personally want to see Injustice or DCeased animated films, so if we see stuff like that I’d personally be fine with stand alone movies.
    Oh yes put me down for a DCeased and/or Injustice movie [also Injustice2 v Masters of the Universe would be great but I don't just want stand alone's.

I want a mix of both.
    Watching the characters grow and develop as the movies progressed was special. Something we haven't had even in the live action.

There's no reason why we can't have both stand alone's and shared universe stuff.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Yeah, We have a new continuity, And it becomes a new shared universe is inevitable imo.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Oh I forgot to say my opinion/thoughts on this - While I think a new shared universe is inevitable, I'd prefer if they didn't do it. Their best animated films have not been part of a shared continuity so far. For the past few years I've only been looking forward to the standalone films. Just focus on making great adaptations again, save continuity for after you've nailed making superior films again.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Unless the new Superman movie is the beginning of it, we don't know what's coming next. Given the way JLDA ended, it's reasonable to surmise that they will start a new shared universe but for now, there's no way to know.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'd rather they do stand-alones with different animation styles that fit the character - essentially what they did for a bit with the short films, but longer. I can't see them doing it though, since WB feels a need to make 99% of animations JL or Trinity related.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh I forgot to say my opinion/thoughts on this - While I think a new shared universe is inevitable, I'd prefer if they didn't do it. Their best animated films have not been part of a shared continuity so far. For the past few years I've only been looking forward to the standalone films. Just focus on making great adaptations again, save continuity for after you've nailed making superior films again.
    All this.

A shared continuity is great. That's a big part of the appeal of DC and Marvel. But I'd rather they focus on making quality stories that lean heavily into the strengths of the singular IP's, instead of having to fit everything into a larger narrative.

Hopefully we'll get a bit of both; some that stand on their own, some that connect together. But I feel like the obsession with shared continuity is ultimately detrimental.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't mind a mix of the two, but what I really want is for less League, Trinity, GL, Titans, and Flash stuff and more with the characters they've never featured or featured only once. DC is more than just those characters.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Oh yes put me down for a DCeased and/or Injustice movie [also Injustice2 v Masters of the Universe would be great but I don't just want stand alone's.

I want a mix of both.
    Watching the characters grow and develop as the movies progressed was special. Something we haven't had even in the live action.

There's no reason why we can't have both stand alone's and shared universe stuff.
    Shaking my head. How can one watch such empty pieces of crap and get an emotional response from them? As if they had done something touching with the characters.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.