Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm going to disagree. Being in the Nazi armed forces makes you very much a Nazi.
    Well they were the GERMAN armed forces not the Nazi armed forces.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Are we seriously promoting the myth of the "clean" Wehrmacht now? They were the political military wing of Hitler's (Röhm's really) grand design. There may have been some conscripts, but as a whole they represented the Nazi fighting force. Let's not split hairs over the obvious.
    Well its not obvious. The Wehrmacht did its share of nasty things, but they were the nations military. They waged war, that a military does. They weren't by and large responsibility for the atrocities of the Nazi regime. I think you would be hard pressed to find any nation's military not having done nasty things even up to the modern day, including Western nations.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    That's only so you can sell the movie in Germany.
    Ironically, I'm pretty sure the movie did more than anything to promote the association of the Red Skull/WWII and Hydra. I mean, it definitely existed before, but Hydra was much more nebulous supervillainy. It wasn't Hitler's science wing.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Ironically, I'm pretty sure the movie did more than anything to promote the association of the Red Skull/WWII and Hydra. I mean, it definitely existed before, but Hydra was much more nebulous supervillainy. It wasn't Hitler's science wing.
    It wasn't Hitler's science wing, but Hydra started out founded by Strucker, a Nazi. It just became nebulous supervillainy after a few decades of non Nazi plots

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    That's only so you can sell the movie in Germany.
    No, that’s because they wanted to sell toys. No parent is going to buy the Lego captain America battle set if the red skull’s car/tank has a swatisika on it.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It wasn't Hitler's science wing, but Hydra started out founded by Strucker, a Nazi. It just became nebulous supervillainy after a few decades of non Nazi plots
    An interesting history point to be learned there, as HYDRA is said to have originated in ancient Egypt, and it was thousands of years later that Strucker only seized control of the organization, not having found it (Secret Warriors #1, April 2009).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    An interesting history point to be learned there, as HYDRA is said to have originated in ancient Egypt, and it was thousands of years later that Strucker only seized control of the organization, not having found it (Secret Warriors #1, April 2009).

Secret Wars undid that. Or whatever

Founded by a Nazi isn't a stink that goes away with a handwave, IMO

It’s curious that people can’t handle Hydra not being interchangeable with nazism. In many ways it is worse. If they were a real organization, they would eclipse the Nazi party and ISIS. Wolfgang is an evil dude. he currently has no party affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Secret Wars undid that. Or whatever

Founded by a Nazi isn't a stink that goes away with a handwave, IMO
    You are ill informed. Secret Empire was the last take on hydra’s founding. I can provide a panel of Madame Hydra explaining that they aren’t nazis, if you need it. They would be above so short sighted a philosophy. The Red Skull’s presence was unwelcome.

Mighty Member

Now I hear Hydra has found people with a "do-gooder mentality" are most susceptible to indoctrination!

Astonishing Member

IIRC Strucker was kicked out of the Nazi party by Hitler early on in Sgt. Fury's 1st series so I'd imagine that would make him bitter towards being a Nazi.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    You are ill informed. Secret Empire was the last take on hydra’s founding. I can provide a panel of Madame Hydra explaining that they aren’t nazis, if you need it. They would be above so short sighted a philosophy. The Red Skull’s presence was unwelcome.
    You can provide it, but then we'd have to ignore all the Nazi symbolism in Secret Empire, Strucker's Nazi past, etc. Don't forget a scan of Strucker's evil 120 year old wife, eh?

Secret Empire frankly, was the writer trying to have it both ways. Saying that Hydra, founded by a Nazi, with Nazi members, totally weren't Nazis, even while they ran concentration camp (Inhumans) and other Nazi symbolism (their Hydra/Hitler youth).

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Well its not obvious. The Wehrmacht did its share of nasty things, but they were the nations military. They waged war, that a military does. They weren't by and large responsibility for the atrocities of the Nazi regime. I think you would be hard pressed to find any nation's military not having done nasty things even up to the modern day, including Western nations.
    They tried the "Just following orders" excuse in the actual Nazi trials after World War II. It didn't work then either.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

They tried the "Just following orders" excuse in the actual Nazi trials after World War II. It didn't work then either.
    Yep, following orders they genuinely thought were doing the world a service, not helped by the Hitler Youth and other such brainwashing propaganda, which is not to diminish accountability, but is still very much tragic when even teachers were telling schoolchildren that Hitler was “a hero for saving Germany’s status after World War I.”

Mighty Member

Of course that has nothing to do with what I've been trying to convey here. Don't confuse being tasked with waging war as a military commander with the commission of war crimes against non-combatants and prisoners. If you're going to go there, one could reasonably argue a lot of the Allied bombing campaign in both theaters was a war crime. The difference on that single aspect only goes as to who won the war.