Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Don't complain to ne about the sliding time scale. They're millenials now.
    I mean, I agree, they are still very young people; and superheroes are more interesting being superheroes than raising children, hence all the time-displaced/clone nonsense.

    If you want motherhood characters, there are stories for that, even in the superhero context, but I think the X-Men are better off not doing that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  2. #32
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I mean, I agree, they are still very young people; and superheroes are more interesting being superheroes than raising children, hence all the time-displaced/clone nonsense.

    If you want motherhood characters, there are stories for that, even in the superhero context, but I think the X-Men are better off not doing that.
    Oh please, there's been plenty of examples in fiction (and frankly, real life) where pregnancy and motherhood haven't slowed a badass down.



    (And that's not counting the scene AFTER giving birth, shooting her way out of a siege with baby in one arm, and firing that cannon from the hip with the other).

    The problem IS NOT THE CONCEPT. It's either writers and editorial of the same mind as you who just dismiss it as something that can't be done out of hand, or they're just plain incapable of executing it. But good writing (and an editorial staff that will actually allow them to upset the Status Quo in such a fashion) WILL make it work.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  3. #33

    Default

    Who the hell is that?

    I'm not saying mothers can't be badass, but real talk, if you actually speak to real mothers, they are generally drowning in diapers and lamenting having to while not getting any sleep.

    Let the X-Men be superheroes. If you want to lean into motherhood, and celebrate mothers, there's tons of them in the real world to interact with, and many stories featuring mothers to read. X-Men mothers are just as likely to sacrifice their child to a demon or throw it into the time-stream because it's turning into a robot.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  4. #34
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I mean, I agree, they are still very young people; and superheroes are more interesting being superheroes than raising children, hence all the time-displaced/clone nonsense.

    If you want motherhood characters, there are stories for that, even in the superhero context, but I think the X-Men are better off not doing that.
    The theme is open ended to include any mom you want! Though Mother's Day has passed, here's Storm dreaming of her mother.
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 05-11-2020 at 11:53 AM.

  5. #35
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    18,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post

    Emma and her kids have also been through some tough times



    But Krakoa has brought a chance for them to start over <3


  6. #36
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Who the hell is that?

    I'm not saying mothers can't be badass, but real talk, if you actually speak to real mothers, they are generally drowning in diapers and lamenting having to while not getting any sleep.

    Let the X-Men be superheroes. If you want to lean into motherhood, and celebrate mothers, there's tons of them in the real world to interact with, and many stories featuring mothers to read. X-Men mothers are just as likely to sacrifice their child to a demon or throw it into the time-stream because it's turning into a robot.
    Superhero stories are by and large power fantasies. Maybe there should be more stories featuring superhero mothers so that real life mothers can briefly feel strong and empowered even as they find themselves more attached to the domestic sphere.

    Honestly, I always found it strange how people thought adults don't need these "adolescent power fantasies". I tend to feel more powerless as I grow older and realize more and more the scale of everything else and what a tiny role I play in it all.

  7. #37

    Default

    Fantastic Four covers the 'old parents who think they still got it' angle. The Incredibles covers that angle.

    X-Men is the 'rebel with a cause' angle. The 'college buddies on adventures' angle. It's their brand.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  8. #38
    Spectacular Member Dipter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    184

    Default

    I'm a day late but here is my favorite X-men mother.

    6d793ee743aa33b6f52b6834fa51c32d.jpg8471103ccd4cf488d7bda09a2d6ad498.jpg

  9. #39
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    12,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Who the hell is that?
    FarScape's Officer Aeryn Sun, Special Peacekeeper Commando, Icarion Company, Pleisar Regiment. One of Science Fiction television's PREMIER female badasses (she routinely manages to out-badass the guy who would be THE badass warrior on a conventional SciFi series, and Claudia Black sells every second of it she's on screen).

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    X-Men is the 'rebel with a cause' angle. The 'college buddies on adventures' angle. It's their brand.
    That's a bucketful of dren. That may be LOGAN'S brand, but sure as hell not the X-Men as a whole. FFS, the entire idea of the X-Men as an actual FAMILY has been ingrained into the franchise since Nineteen Sixty-@#$ing-THREE.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  10. #40
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Fantastic Four covers the 'old parents who think they still got it' angle. The Incredibles covers that angle.

    X-Men is the 'rebel with a cause' angle. The 'college buddies on adventures' angle. It's their brand.
    What about the "young and troubled so they had a child too young but will make it work cause they're stronger than you think" angle? Because considering the X-Men have frequently been represented as troubled, impulsive young people and how sexually charged even the subtext of their adventures are (See: Anything written by Chris Claremont). And, well, let's just say I'm surprised that Angel Salvador's was the only teen pregnancy that happened at Xavier's School.

    And where's this idea that parenthood=old coming from? I'm 37 and have no kids. I worked with a guy who had his kids when he was still in high school and despite his relationship with the mother falling apart years and years later, still has an intact and functioning family. And right now I work with a woman who's about a decade younger than me and a mother. Ruling outliers like the guy I mentioned and supposing that most people choose to become parents in their later 20s, this means that the threshold for when people get old is about 26.

  11. #41

    Default

    By all means, yes, Disney should promulgate young parentage to hormonally charged impulsive pubescents. Totally. Great idea. Fight crime and walk away from explosions with a baby strapped to your back! Definitely! Mom of the year!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  12. #42
    Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    Obviously this thread has shown us motherhood is complex.



  13. #43
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    479′S 12643′W
    Posts
    11,624

    Default

    Trying to limit the things that X-Men comics can be about sure doesn't sound very inclusive, open-minded, or forward-thinking to me. Thank goodness the X-Men never included that black woman or that Russian commie or that gay Canadian. The book's not about that. Heaven forbid they include... *GASP!*... a mother!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    FarScape's Officer Aeryn Sun, Special Peacekeeper Commando, Icarion Company, Pleisar Regiment. One of Science Fiction television's PREMIER female badasses (she routinely manages to out-badass the guy who would be THE badass warrior on a conventional SciFi series, and Claudia Black sells every second of it she's on screen).

    That's a bucketful of dren. That may be LOGAN'S brand, but sure as hell not the X-Men as a whole. FFS, the entire idea of the X-Men as an actual FAMILY has been ingrained into the franchise since Nineteen Sixty-@#$ing-THREE.
    You have said nothing wrong. Aeryn Sun [and Claudia Black in general] is a true goddess, and the X-Men have been about chosen family from day/issue#1.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  14. #44
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    By all means, yes, Disney should promulgate young parentage to hormonally charged impulsive pubescents. Totally. Great idea. Fight crime and walk away from explosions with a baby strapped to your back! Definitely! Mom of the year!
    Kids don't read comic mags. It's only us older folks now. As long as they don't put it in any of the movies, they're fine.

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member Dipter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    By all means, yes, Disney should promulgate young parentage to hormonally charged impulsive pubescents. Totally. Great idea. Fight crime and walk away from explosions with a baby strapped to your back! Definitely! Mom of the year!
    I know teens are impressionable, but they're not so dumb that they would read a comic and immediately become convinced that being an adolescent parent is the coolest thing in the world. There were a few teen moms in my high school who were very nice people, but I can assure you that none of us other kids saw their situations as something to be envious of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •