View Poll Results: Favorite WildStorm title?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • WildCATS

5 21.74%
  • StormWatch/Authority

7 30.43%
  • Deathblow

1 4.35%
  • Backlash

0 0%
  • Gen13

4 17.39%
  • Team 7

0 0%
  • DV8

1 4.35%
  • Union

0 0%
  • Mr. Majestic

2 8.70%
  • Grifter

0 0%
  • Planetary

1 4.35%
  • Divine Right

0 0%
  • Ex Machina

1 4.35%
  • Sleeper

0 0%
  • Other—specify

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Default Feel the thunder! WildStorm Appreciation thread 2020

F64B006F-A30E-46C1-B1F6-31C653AC3416.jpgF64B006F-A30E-46C1-B1F6-31C653AC3416.jpg

The House that Jim Lee & Brandon Choi built

It’s 1991, and the six biggest artists in comics, plus Jim Valentino, decided to walk away from Marvel, and their record breaking sales, to go out on their own and created Image Comics. Each had their own fiefdom, (minus Whilce Portacio who was dealing with the death of his sister), and began creating their own comic universes.

First there was WildCATS, then came StormWatch, (which would be the inspiration for the name of their Universe), then Deathblow, and so on, and so on. In a few short years, Jim, Brandon, and their industry friends to build a lush, and complex universe all on its own. Ripe with sci-fi, intrigue, conspiracies aplenty, bleeding edge tech, alien species, Amazonian immortal goddess fighting machines. It sold really well. It was probably the most popular Image line at the time.

Flash forward to 1997, and the comics industry is in the proverbial can. Small presses were going bankrupt, Marvel was going belly up because their CEO tried to go too big, too fast, and it all came crashing down. Jim seeing the writing on the wall, decided to go to Marvel and DC the chance to buy his universe, which DC jumped on.

This thread is dedicated to fans of this lush universe to enjoy, talk and reminisce about the house that Jim and Brian built!
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

BANNED

Storm watch was just the coolest book ever after#37

Last edited by Elmo; 05-11-2020 at 05:14 AM.

BANNED

Ha, my only exposure to Union was the time he fought Supreme! He won, too. Outsmarted him. I don't even think I knew he was a Wildstorm character, after all, Supreme is an Extreme / Awesome studios character - but then, Supreme met Spawn too, and Mighty Man from Big Bang, so... man, image was wild back then, huh?

Wildstorm has always has something of a mystique to me. I always thought it was really cool, but never knew that much about it. Still don't honestly..I wish more of it was on DC Universe, haha...

I'd read straight through some of that stuff. As is, I've only read the first arc of WildC.A.T.s, Nemesis, Alan Moore's run on WildC.A.T.s, and a couple stray issues here and there.

Always thought Majestic, Marlowe and Hawksmoor were the coolest. Dunno if I could tee ya why.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post

I guess I’m just one of those weirdos, but I loved StormWatch from the jump.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

What's going on? Grifter is going to be in Batman & Superman is leading the Authority in 2021? Just curious
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Have any of the Wildstorm comics addressed the fact that the Wildstorm/Homage titles were part of a wider Image Universe prior to being bought out by DC?

Have there been any Wildstorm crossovers with Image properties post the DC Acquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    What's going on? Grifter is going to be in Batman & Superman is leading the Authority in 2021? Just curious
    Didio is gone and Jim Lee is the sole editor-in-chief. I think there’s going to be a lot more Wildstorm properties showing up in the next year.

Incredible Member

Sleeper - best of the bunch by a mile. Even by today's standards.

Did anyone else like The Wild Storm? Loved (and preferred) Ellis' take on them.

There needs to be a volume 2 or something...

Looking forward to seeing which intepretation of Grifter in Batman they go with - WildStorm or the 52 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Didio is gone and Jim Lee is the sole editor-in-chief. I think there’s going to be a lot more Wildstorm properties showing up in the next year.
    I hope that’s true! I want to see the Gen 14 characters! Plus bringing in Michael Cray, Engineer, Voodoo, Rainmaker...etc would help a lot in the diversity department for DC. Same with the Milestone characters (Static, Rocket, Icon, Xombi).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

Looking forward to seeing which intepretation of Grifter in Batman they go with - WildStorm or the 52 version.
    I cannot muster enthusiasm for Wildstorm in 2021. Ellis is gone and there will be someone like Steve Orlando or Tynion writing. Just guessing will be there more for the writer than for the Wildstorm characters

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I cannot muster enthusiasm for Wildstorm in 2021. Ellis is gone and there will be someone like Steve Orlando or Tynion writing. Just guessing will be there more for the writer than for the Wildstorm characters
    Didn't even know Wildstorm was making a "return" in 2021. Good to know.

Last I heard Ellis' WildCats was being put on hiatus indefinitely.

You're right though. It'll be largely dependent on the writer, who I hope follows Ellis' train of thought and does something new/creative with the characters.

Speaking of Orlando - found his Midnighter series stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...mily-Of-Titles

I don't know if this counts, but I love the work J. Scott Campbell did during his run on...

Gen-13

It was a sad day when he stopped drawing the series, and things haven't been the same since. TT^TT
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-15-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Then Adam Warren came along and brought back some of the excitement. Always been a fan of his artwork...

Adam Warren continued drawing for Gen-13, but only cover art. Sadly, I really miss his interior artwork. TT^TT