Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
Sinister's long-term goal has always seemed to be splicing together Jean (omega psychic who goes up to ludicrous scale with access to a vast power source like the Phoenix force) and Scott (a living portal to an infinite amount of energy), to make uber-baby, a living 'Phoenix' without all the cosmic 'chaos angel, end-bringer' apocalyptic planet-eating baggage.

So it will be interesting to see what other mixes he's got in mind. Gabriel and Alex both are also vast vast reservoirs of power, and various other mutants have this omega designation that causes them to 'scale up indefinitely' like Jean does, so mixing one of them with one of these 'infinite power sources' seems like a fun pastime. Then again, mix-n-match mutants is always fun, and not just when it's Scott and Jean. Imagine what sorts of powers a child of Rogue and Remy would have? (Charges up energy blades to throw that drain life-force and make her stronger and give her flashes of insight about the victim, while knocking out and mind-wiping their target?) Or Rahne and Jaime Madrox? (A woman woman wolf-pack!) Kitty and Pete Wisdom? (Turns to fiery plasma, a woman sized 'hot knife!') The more unconventional the pairing, the better, since we've seen enough variations of Scott + Jean already.

As for the book itself, I'm not entirely thrilled with the character regression of Empath, who was developing ever-so-slightly back in the day, and is now almost being handed an 'out' by being labeled a sociopath. (Even more inexplicable in the world of mutant telepaths who can teach someone an entire language or skillset in seconds, including, one would assume, *social skills,* so his purported inability to fully empathize (ironic, that) could be fixed by Emma, Jean or Chuckles in, like, 2 seconds, leaving him with, IMO, the much more meaty tale of whether or not he *chooses* to be a manipulative prick...) I feel like his story was much more poignant when he was just a dick, who had to learn not to be a dick (helped by his genuine affection for / attraction to, Amara, and Emma's tough love of shutting down the projective aspect of his powers and forcing him to interact with people without them for a time, being only able to sense their feelings, but not control them), and not some woobie who was a victim of his powers making him grow up without social feedback or some such twaddle.

On the upside, I'm curious as to what powers 'Peter' the Orphanmaker even has. He's a super-fighter, but then again, so are characters like Wolverine or Gorgon, and that has little or nothing to do with their mutations, really, so I wonder what sort of mutant power he has under all that armor... Is it the power making him a Thunderbird-like strongah, fastah, bettah fighter, or *the armor,* and the mutant power a surprise just waiting to be unleashed at a dramatic moment?
As a big fan of both Alex and Maddy, I always thought it would be an interesting storyline if Sinister didn't want those two together because they are far less predictable and controllable than Scott and Jean. Nevertheless this is the Marvel book I am most looking forward to since Havok and Maddy are my two favorite X-characters, I really fell for them as a couple during the Outback era, both unfavorably compared to Scott and Jean constantly even though I always liked them more. I am hoping that eventually Maddy joins the team and is paired with Alex.