Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default What's the best thing Superman has punched?

Haha, I guess it's pretty straightforward. But I mean the truth is that Superman has been in an action type of story from the beginning and it would be a miserable read it we didn't like action.

Characters who have come in the decades after him are popular because of their ability to thrown down. Yet Superman is the most prolific puncher in fiction . I once had a trading card that read, "when diplomacy fails, he's a tiger!" For all his tricks and clever deductions, there is the rarely erring but unassailable confidence he has in his ability to regulate behavior with a right hook. From the natural world (tidal waves, fifth dimensional energy, the time barrier) to the historic (dinosaurs, middle age sorcerers, alien psychic collectives) to legends (Dracula, Abominable snowman, Apollo the sun God) to other company characters (He-Man, Hulk, Xenomorphs, Terminators) to copyright friendly expies (Asterix, Popeye, Pikachu) he's hit pretty much everything you'd imagine.

Maybe it comes down to artist over idea, but what would be your favorite instances?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Nazis. Any time Superman punches a nazi, an angel gets their wings. Or a warrior enters Valhalla, or whatever your mythological preference is.

I'm also rather fond of the wife beater and Clark's "You're not fighting a woman now!" What was that, OG Action #2?

Third place is probably dinosaurs. There's something extremely satisfying about that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Anti-Monitor in COIE.

Superboy-Prime punched reality so hard it brought Jason Todd back to life lol.

Also in Convergence, Superman punches Brainiac so hard every incarnation of Brainiac throughout time and space feels it.

But my favorite has to be Scott Snyder amping Superman up with a dozen suns and then KO the World Forger in the Sixth Dimension arc of JL. Jimenez killed that image.

Superboy-Prime punching reality so hard he caused a minor reset, of sorts (as referenced above). LOL, that was epic if also silly. I doubt it'll ever be topped.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm guessing Muhammad Ali. After all, we're talking best thing, not worst villain or most deserving. And Ali is the best boxer in history I think (not a sports historian here). I'm assuming Supes did get a punch in?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Clark stop hitting yourself.

I wish they had done more with this, but I thought this was a great punch. It made the crossover seem real.

main-qimg-9216081018bf75c622fefd2dcf080ce3-c.jpg
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Juggernaut was the most exciting from that pack. Of course Thor in a later crossover is just as good.

I'm also a sucker for punching lasers or light energy. At the top is this homage to the old cartoons.

Another visually well done scene is probably Gil Kane using his classic angle to its best in Demon with a Cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm guessing Muhammad Ali. After all, we're talking best thing, not worst villain or most deserving. And Ali is the best boxer in history I think (not a sports historian here). I'm assuming Supes did get a punch in?
    He did. My favorite action scene from that issue is punching his hands together to smash a tidal wave, but the even itself with Ali to me is a real badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Juggernaut was the most exciting from that pack. Of course Thor in a later crossover is just as good.

I'm also a sucker for punching lasers or light energy. At the top is this homage to the old cartoons.

That looks straight out of max fleischer cartoons.On a side note.

A fist particle beam, i wanna see clark do it.And don't piss off superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-11-2020 at 06:49 AM.

I’m going with that World Forger anime punch from Snyder’s Justice League

561B0A49-14CC-422A-9C50-BF9135673CDC.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Lol, anime punch is a good name for it.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That looks straight out of max fleischer cartoons.On a side note.

A fist particle beam, i wanna see clark do it.And don't piss off superman.
    Awesome to see the science behind it. In Action #454 he eats a billion burgers, but he'd need the equivalent of 82 billion to deliver a near light punch. Hm.

I think the hardest we've seen outside of Infinite Crisis were the punches on Spectre and in Where is Thy Sting

Anime characters except for ippo largely don't punch,Just saying. as for superman energy needs,energy spent would never be equal to what he takes in. The things he does is impossible, (most of them and depends on the way he is depicted ) .

As for in-story, Clark could easily create air fist canon(at full power can be particle beams) , sonic attacks with lung capacity and industructable throat,.. Etc. I also think 360 degree sensing capability combined with xray. A level of precognition due to higher intelligence,reflexes and speed.Essentially, a byakugan. for me, the most important part of the character's fighting style is two fold his stoic fighting philosophy and his senses that read everything, see every weaknesses.

Astonishing Member

Probably that time he punched Spiderman with a sonic boom. Maybe not the coolest thing hes ever punched but the way it played out was cool.
    Last edited by The World; 05-11-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh I didn't even think of Ali. Hell yeah, good call.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.