Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm torn, because on the on hand I really like seeing Superman punch lasers. There's just something so delightfully impossible about it.

On the other hand, it is ALWAYS satisfying to see Superman punch a Nazi!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He did. My favorite action scene from that issue is punching his hands together to smash a tidal wave, but the even itself with Ali to me is a real badge of honor.
    I have got to get this classic issue eventually. It in a trade with some other classic issues or anything?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It has its own hardcover reprint and is totally worth it. Neal Adams recoloring his seventies art is controversial, but works well there as it's a much more vibrant comic than Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Anime characters except for ippo largely don't punch,Just saying.
    Anime might be too broad, but the term shonen might be too obscure. Of many shows with international followings Luffy, Goku, Yusuke, Sanosuke, Ranma, Jotaro, Kenshiro, Onizuka, Spike Spiegel, Heero Yuy, Gon, Naruto, Saitama, Ed Elric, and Inuyasha to name some are known for delivering exceptionally strong punches. Most of them even have signature, named punches.

That punch from Jimenez could be like the... Three Gen Thresher, lol
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It has its own hardcover reprint and is totally worth it. Neal Adams recoloring his seventies art is controversial, but works well there as it's a much more vibrant comic than Batman.

Anime might be too broad, but the term shonen might be too obscure. Of many shows with international followings Luffy, Goku, Yusuke, Sanosuke, Ranma, Jotaro, Kenshiro, Onizuka, Spike Spiegel, Heero Yuy, Gon, Naruto, Saitama, Ed Elric, and Inuyasha to name some are known for delivering exceptionally strong punches. Most of them even have signature, named punches.
    They do punches. Except for luffy, saitama, jotaro.. Etc, hardly anyone of those guys use it as signature move. This was a signature move. Normally, signature moves are done in father-son way.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You said "anime characters largely don't punch." I guess I don't see how that's refuted?

With Superman it's not so much that they give him a special name, style, or technique (twister sock, dragon fist, spirit punch, dragon punch, etc.) but there's stuff like the New 52 Superman doing an homage to CoIE during Last Days.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Sounds good, thanks!

You said "anime characters largely don't punch." I guess I don't see how that's refuted?
    I meant as a signature. I might have missed that part.Also, "the superman punch" is seen as signature move of his.It might not be intended but its touted as such.

Also, superman's shoryuken

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think my favorite is probably from Superman 248 vs. the Galactic Golemn. The Golem was basically an energy being powered by a Galaxy of Suns. Superman knows if he destroys the creature he destroys the Earth, so he simultaneously uses the creatures own energy, and some "vibrational" manipulation to send Earth into another dimension as he slugs the creature and destroys him. There is some proto-pseudo science string theory involved and I love it.

Also I have to co-sign on the Muhammad Ali book. Superman had no powers so the guy who went toe to toe with Ali was actually Clark Kent, they fought under red sun lamps and Clark went all 12 round without falling down. Then he punches an alien armada in a way that has to have inspired Captain Marvel vs. Thanos fleet in Endgame.

That Ali book is one of my favorites, Ali was like Jordan, Lebron James, and Colin Kapernick all in one. He refused to do the book unless Ali won the boxing match and I am 100% ON BOARD. ALI beats Superman, but Clark Kent goes the distance. Perfect.

Batman dressed as Santa (looks like Pete Woods art) No idea where this is from, but whatever the definition of "best" we're using this is pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Batman dressed as Santa (looks like Pete Woods art) No idea where this is from, but whatever the definition of "best" we're using this is pretty great.

If Batman is dressed as Santa, then it'd be better if Supes was dressed as the Grinch or Scrooge.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman from Justice

(still love you Bats, but this is cathartic)

JusticeBatmanSuperman.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Batman from Justice

(still love you Bats, but this is cathartic)

JusticeBatmanSuperman.jpg
    That's only cathartic for me if batman is at his best and with all his tricks.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Even at his best, he shouldn't be winning over the likes of Superman (or Wonder Woman, or Flash..) if they are also at their best

That'd include red sunlight lamps and kryptonite though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even at his best, he shouldn't be winning over the likes of Superman (or Wonder Woman, or Flash..) if they are also at their best
    Doesn't matter. he beat him many times, fair and square. Superman isn't the "champion". To be the best, you have to beat the best at his best. It's that simple. Sheer Determination, diligence, patience, resourcefulness , work and effort are valuable no matter how you slice it.

By the way, what would clark do in a universe or planet where a "normal human" can slice a mountain in half? That's right, "super"man wouldn't be much super. This is fantasy, realism doesn't much apply. Anything can and will happen. There is such a thing as unbreakable or immovable. Yet, it can be broken or moved still and remain the same.