Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I thought they were fine. They're some of the only Avengers books I've ever found entertaining enough to pick up consecutive issues of anyway. Mildly interesting, but forgettable stories with generally good art. Worth a read if/when I had the spare change.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Bendis's run is great, Dark Reign was the best part, probably could've stopped after Siege, post-Siege New Avengers was mostly terrible while Avengers was still good, #OsbornWasRight.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I didn't like the writing of Bendis on the Avengers at all.
    dr doom.jpg

Ultimate Member

I loved Bendis run up until Siege.

He kind of seemed burned out at that point.

Astonishing Member

Dug his early New Avengers until anything related to Secret Invasion started to take shape. Skrulls don't do much for me, part of why I didn't watch the Captain Marvel movie.

Also Dark Avengers, seemed to stop around where it had to and I still enjoyed Deodato's art then.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by destinyascension View Post
    His writing on Moonstone was horrible.

Bendis: "Now Moonstone I'll probably get some letters on. She's going to be using sex as a weapon, not because that's what I feel women do, but because that's what I feel this mentally ill woman would do in close quarters. She started with Marvel Boy and will begin making her way through the team."
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2009/11...k-reign?page=7

here are intersting comments,
    Did Bendis read anything about the character before deciding this? Ever since Ellis gave hints of Moonstone's "casual" view of sex, she has just been the team whore.
    So instead of Karla manipulating others, something she does best, her body will see her through?

IF, as a writer, you recognize that you are writing a female character in such a way that you feel the need to defend yourself against accusations of sexism BEFORE the work is even published– well, perhaps you should re-evaluate how you are writing her. Furthermore, as others have said, “Woman Uses Sex As A Weapon” is a trope– often sexist, but more importantly, it’s quite frankly a TIRED trope. If the most creative thing Bendis can think of to do with Moonstone is say “She uses sex as a weapon!” then perhaps he should take a break from writing until he comes up with a more creative idea.
    I don’t mind it for her character, as long as there are other female characters to balance it out. Just don’t make it the thing of the only female on the team.

As it was. We only had the lesbian Vitoria Hand to balance it out. Opinion vary on if it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I loved Bendis run up until Siege.

He kind of seemed burned out at that point.
    I agree his Avenger books post Siege just weren't the same. Not that they were terrible, but they felt like the franchise just sort of lost its momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Bendis's run is great, Dark Reign was the best part, probably could've stopped after Siege, post-Siege New Avengers was mostly terrible while Avengers was still good, #OsbornWasRight.
    Truth.

Post Siege, it seemed like Bendis was on the books more because he didn't want to leave than that he had strong ideas.

I wonder how things would have gone if they'd managed to get Age of Ultron out on time.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Truth.

Post Siege, it seemed like Bendis was on the books more because he didn't want to leave than that he had strong ideas.

I wonder how things would have gone if they'd managed to get Age of Ultron out on time.
    Agreed. After Seige, Bendis fell off pretty hard and never recovered.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that that was the original plan, that he was going to leave after Siege, but for whatever reason he stayed for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Considering what the actual Age of Ultron ended up being...not much different?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that that was the original plan, that he was going to leave after Siege, but for whatever reason he stayed for another year.
    I head rumors it’s because he wanted to be on Avengers when the movie came out. That’s just heresay though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Bendis’ run should have ended with New Avengers: Finale.

I think it’s very much a product - and a victim - ofit’s a time. A victim in the sense that this was the time when Marvel was really starting to throw out the events an changing the status quo - to the point where it felt like Bendis’ Avengers was an intermediary between events.

I have LOTS to say about the run. So much is good stuff. Bendis did a lot more than people give him respect for.
    It should have ended with Siege. Everything from New Avengers #1 onwards ultimately came to a head with that mini-series. If he had left the book at that point, the run would be viewed in a much better light.

Everything after that was just him spinning his wheels. Actually, I recall that he had planned to leave at that point. But stuck around because Avengers was about to start production and he wanted to be involved (which he was).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I head rumors it’s because he wanted to be on Avengers when the movie came out. That’s just heresay though.
    You are right. He mentioned it in a interview. He was part of the story committee they had who consulted on the early MCU films. Being the writer on Avengers meant he could be heavily involved in the production. Which he was with numerous set visits and consulting on the script.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I didn't like the writing of Bendis on the Avengers at all.
    dr doom.jpg
    LOL, this was so over the top and I loved it.

Sometimes he wrote like a 12 year old and sometimes he wrote like a genius.

There is no denying his Avengers literally changed the game and the face of modern day superhero comics.

I truly loved his Avengers and continue to reread it; especially up to Secret Invasion.

His Avengers were extremely approachable and fun.