Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default comic book store

Does anyone know when comic stores are open.Also if they are open is anybody going to comic stores or just get them online for the next few weeks

Probably will be different depending area and the owners of the stores. Openings of businesses are happening slowly. And some areas are still closed. My county is still under a stay at home order. And likely won't move out of that until the end of the month, if not June.

If you can contact your LCS in some way, maybe through email or social media, they might be able to give you a timetable.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Some shops are still doing mail order. This website is a fantastic resource to see what shops are available in your area and what services they are offering:

https://28pageslater.com/

FYI Leah Williams organized this...it's awesome.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Yeah, my LCS is doing some mail order, but my state is still shut down. My assumption is that if books are sent, unopened shops will stockpile them until they open back up. My concern isn't if Ill get books, but when. And that question's answers has many factors involved.

There is no universal time when the country will re-open. It's on a state-by-state basis. It all depends on your state's re-opening plan.

Unless you're not in the United states, then it's a matter of how your country is doing it.

Regardless, there is no "comic shops are re-opening at this time" type of deal.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I can tell you the UK date at least - June 1st.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518
    When can I go shopping again?
    On 1 June at the earliest, if the five tests are met, non-essential retailers can open if they can follow the social distancing guidelines. The government wants this reopening to happen in phases.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Here in Ireland, most of the comic shops are doing online orders and doing really well. As for comics, that depends on when the comics start being distributed to the stores again.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

My state of Indiana is a Red State so some retail businesses are opening up this week. My LCS and others were allowed to do curbside transactions before that anyway. By it's very size, he can't allow very many inside anyway. Most shops in my area are like a mini labyrinth of aisles stacked with stuff so it will be tricky to keep your distance. What was weird is that I live next door to the next county and they opened things up about a week sooner since their stats on infections and deaths were lower. But what difference does it make if you can just drive someplace else? We get a lot of people from place in Illinois like Calumet City or Chicago coming over the border and it's not like you can stop them.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-11-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Here in Ireland, most of the comic shops are doing online orders and doing really well. As for comics, that depends on when the comics start being distributed to the stores again.
    Last I heard, in the UK, and so I assume Ireland too, March 25th comics are due on May 13th, and then everything is out when it's out in the US, starting May 20th. That may change now, though, considering the shops in the UK will still be banned from opening (though if the shops are not doing mail order, then quite frankly they deserve to lose custom). It's obvious Diamond expected the UK lockdown to end yesterday, but it was only eased slightly.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-11-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Last I heard, in the UK, and so I assume Ireland too, March 25th comics are due on May 13th, and then everything is out when it's out in the US, starting May 20th. That may change now, though, considering the shops in the UK will still be banned from opening (though if the shops are not doing mail order, then quite frankly they deserve to lose custom). It's obvious Diamond expected the UK lockdown to end yesterday, but it was only eased slightly.
    As far as I know, Ireland is supposed to be getting new comics on Wednesday.

Thought so, same as the UK. But the problem is, what happens if the shops are closed?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It varies shop by shop, and area by area. I don't believe any of the Comic Shops in my area have actually closed down entirely during this pandemic. Curbside pick ups, mail orders, delivery, and one-at-time in store customers. They all appear to be doing fine without any new weekly comics either. A lot of people are stockpiling: TPBs, Manga, DnD Source books, and board games.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    My state of Indiana is a Red State so some retail businesses are opening up this week. My LCS and others were allowed to do curbside transactions before that anyway. By it's very size, he can't allow very many inside anyway. Most shops in my area are like a mini labyrinth of aisles stacked with stuff so it will be tricky to keep your distance. What was weird is that I live next door to the next county and they opened things up about a week sooner since their stats on infections and deaths were lower. But what difference does it make if you can just drive someplace else? We get a lot of people from place in Illinois like Calumet City or Chicago coming over the border and it's not like you can stop them.
    I am in Texas we have 36 counties that have zero cases.

Population range from 81 to 11,213.

What is funny A bunch of counties near El paso Texas- have zero case but El paso has among the highest.

I think the difference is what can you get in your city and in my case cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin and others that you can't get in another location.

I look at the 36 counties and I HIGHLY doubt any of them have a comic book store. I will say this the places where your professional sports team is a minor league baseball team or a high school (Friday Night Lights) the virus is not getting you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I am in Texas we have 36 counties that have zero cases.

Population range from 81 to 11,213.

What is funny A bunch of counties near El paso Texas- have zero case but El paso has among the highest.

I think the difference is what can you get in your city and in my case cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin and others that you can't get in another location.

I look at the 36 counties and I HIGHLY doubt any of them have a comic book store. I will say this the places where your professional sports team is a minor league baseball team or a high school (Friday Night Lights) the virus is not getting you.
    Skyvolt, I don’t understand? Major population centres have major teams. Aren’t those places more likely to have virus infections?

There are plenty of online resources, some pretty reasonably priced. In fact, I use mycomicshop.com for back issues (for example) because they are often cheaper than my comic shop.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.