Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If you cancel Wolverine’s solo, he shall appear in more X-books than you could possibly imagine.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I dont see or understand why he is as popular as he is (such a boring character to me) but these companies are about making money. so I get why he is everywhere but do we really need another solo going into why he wants to cut, stab, and kill everything around him? I would say no, absolutely not.
    He is willing to stabby stab people and is gritty. For some, that makes him interesting.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    He is willing to stabby stab people and is gritty. For some, that makes him interesting.
    Re Wolverine Issue 2...
    0C8F7004-1586-4677-AD92-E7CFA67961FE.jpg

it can be asked in another way: does a character who has been one of the most popular characters among readers for decades and who earns tons of money for Marvel needs a solo series?

Is this even a question?

Marvel wants money, the character has the most fans to carry a solo out of other X characters, so why not?
    If someone is not interested in him, they just need to skip the entire series, it’s easy.
    Even if there are tons of stories told about him already, he still makes money. And as long as he makes money, he will always have new stories to tell. Personally I think there's way too little content about the 'Wolverine clan', so there's still much to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    "Wolverine" should be a role in mutant combat teams as important as a telepath. Logan, Laura, and Akihiro are all Wolverines available for deployment, but there are several still in training. Anole, Mercury, Indra... they are all in Logan's boot camp, and THAT is what the Wolverine solo should be.
    Aww, you used his real name Akihiro, not ‘mongrel’. I don’t see it too often.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    So John Matrix does have a cat
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Wolverine doesn't even feature alot. Oooh wow, he appears in panels, big deal. He's never the center of the X-narrative for the exact reason that he is naturally popular and doesn't have to be forced.

They didn't even make him the Super Special Mega Captain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    it can be asked in another way: does a character who has been one of the most popular characters among readers for decades and who earns tons of money for Marvel needs a solo series?

Is this even a question?

Marvel wants money, the character has the most fans to carry a solo out of other X characters, so why not?

Sooner than later QUALITY control has to come into play. You can't keep flooding the market that acts like only certain folks should have books. It makes it an easier out to NOT develop others if you rely on Logan or Batman or Superman or Peter all the time.

SOONER than later someone is going to look at those bins and shelves and see all those books collecting dust. And wonder why there is such a HATEFEST for certain demographic of books who are NOT doing that or leaving smaller piles when Logan is leaving a bigger pile?

SOONER than later folks who are fans of OTHER characters are going to tire of the lack of shots they get and leave the franchise for good. Especially when they learn of writers who WANT to writer (blank) and editorial tells them NO. Hi Colossus. Hi Storm. Hi Sunspot. X-Men characters should not have to go to OTHER franchises to get page time. Especially in Black Panther.

Sooner than later-tossing Logan in a book to get a few sales will no longer work. If he has to be in your book to get readers-what does that say about everyone else in said book? If he ahs to be in hyour book just so a store will put it on the shelf-what does that say about the franchise?

People must be having PTSD from like 10 years ago bc current Wolverine is not oversaturated in the X-books and he's back in them after being gone for years

BANNED

Wolverine isn't stopping people from writing other characters. Colossus in particular is actually around quite alot. Storm doesn't get any play because she is black, just like Bishop. The head writer is fond of Sunspot, so he has gotten more talk time in recent issues.

There really are no X-Men limited by Wolverine, where you get editors saying stuff like "cant use that character because Logan has a different girlfriend now" or whatever. People should appreciate that more, tbh.

Incredible Member

"Need"? Subjective but I don't think so. Especially since it's been a while I enjoyed a Wolverine (Logan) comic.

Does he sell/ make Marvel money? Yes, which in reality trumps everything at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 05-14-2020 at 02:09 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Wolverine isn't stopping people from writing other characters. Colossus in particular is actually around quite alot. Storm doesn't get any play because she is black, just like Bishop. The head writer is fond of Sunspot, so he has gotten more talk time in recent issues.

There really are no X-Men limited by Wolverine, where you get editors saying stuff like "cant use that character because Logan has a different girlfriend now" or whatever. People should appreciate that more, tbh.
    Really though I.... I'm thinking its NOT because they're black but MORE in line with "the head writer doesn't find them interesting.

I'm black, I don't find storm or bishop interesting... I mean... No the way I find Apocalypse, Sunspot, or Magik interesting. So really it just takes a head writer to want to waifu storm the way certain writers did with
    kitty or psylocke , emma or Jean and they'll get speaking parts assuredly, but...
    People must be having PTSD from like 10 years ago bc current Wolverine is not oversaturated in the X-books and he's back in them after being gone for years
    Riiiiight? If he's been dead for 6 years maybe the problem isn't him. Him getting a solo isn't keeping anyone else solo from sinking or swimming. Iceman had a book for a while too not long ago too,
    so its not like wolverine doesn't have conceptual space even if the writers default to "attack my teammates" "weapon x" and "Jean = present = LUSTJEAN/Not present=find teenage female sidekick.

That being said I think Magik could carry a solo. She can be Wolverine and/or Doc Strange; Ghost Rider/or Hulk depending on what story you want to write. There are a couple others too that could really do well with a series...
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Unless if the Wolverine is Laura Kinney, it takes a lot to make me get invested. I get that Logan is popular, but he's never been a character I gravitate towards, and he's definitely been overused at various points in publication history; even when he was dead we just had Old Man Logan filling in for him.

That said, being as popular as he is, there's certainly room for him to have a solo title. It's improbable that I read it myself, just because there are very few elements of Logans character and overall story that I find interesting, and fewer still that will likely make it to the page. But I wouldn't want to stop readers that do really enjoy Logan getting their content.

Besides, if he has an entire book to himself it lessens the chances we're gonna have him shoved in our faces everywhere else

Extraordinary Member

He used to deserve a solo, yes.

But now in the Krakoa era, does he still need one? Does the current status quo seem like Logan would always be off doing his own thing, when he’s not involved with X-Force?

A lot of Logan’s former enemies now live with him in harmony on Krakoa. Guys like Gorgon, Omege Red, Sinister, his son Daken. Sabretooth, meanwhile, is locked away.

Of course he needs one even in the Krakoa era. Wolverine #1 (1 522 638 USD) brought more money for Marvel then X-men #1 (1 276 062 USD).

If “I don’t like him despite him being popular for some reason” [eyeroll/backhanded slam on his fans] was a valid reason for a character to not have a solo, virtually no one outside of Wolverine would have a solo from my perspective. This thread is dumb.