Default Writer MARTIN PASKO dead at 65

Whenever a writer or artist from my childhood dies, it's always a shock to me. Today, May 11, Marty Pasko died.

Pasko was a prominent writer for the Superman line in the 1970s and also wrote the fan-favorite First Issue Special 9 (1975), which featured a solo Doctor Fate story illustrated by Walt Simonson. This story was pivotal in that it introduced the concept that Kent Nelson was taken over by Nabu when he donned the Fate helmet -- an aspect of the character that has been with him ever since. With Keith Giffen on art, he wrote the great Dr. Fate backup stories in Flash years later.

Pasko also launched the title DC Comics Presents with artist Jose Luis ********Lopez, which featured a great two-parter with Superman and the Flash.

He was chosen to write Action Comics 500, which featured a 64-page retelling of Superman's life story.

With Curt Swan, he created the Superman villains Atomic Skull and Master Jailer.

He was also the writer on the early-1980s revival of Swamp Thing. His stories, on most of issues 1-19, are often overlooked because of Alan Moore's greater success with the character, but they're still worth a read and feature great art by Tom Yeats.

Of course, Pasko also had a successful career in animated cartoons in the 1980s.

I fondly remember his Superman stories of the 1970s along with the other regular writers, Cary Bates and Elliot Maggin.

BANNED

Man, that's a real shame. I was just reading his stuff about two days ago as I was reflecting over how long Curt Swan drew Superman books and how he continually changed his style to keep up with the times.

Retired

I'm in shock. I loved Martin Pasko's work so much--especially his run on SUPERMAN. I really have no words. I just hope he knew that we appreciated him for all the joy he brought. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. So long Pesky Pasko.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

That's sad.

Some years ago he joined a discussion here on the boards and he "sounded" (as much as anyone can "sound" over the internet) as a kind and generous man.

May he rest in peace.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

65 is too damn young....
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

One of the great letter hacks turned comic writer. "Pesky" Pasko, we'll miss you!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

When you’re 7 or 8 years old, you don’t really think about who wrote what. It wasn’t until I was much older that I realized how many of my favorite Superman stories were written by Pasko. Because comics were so important to me growing up, he was a huge part of my childhood. Very sad to hear this news.

Unhappy

Sadly ironic that Hasbro as put up 2 episodes of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero that he wrote called "Worlds Without End" where a team of Joes are accidentally blown into an alternate universe where Cobra won the war.
    Part 1:

RIP Martin Pasko.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 05-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.

RIP Mr. Pasko.