View Poll Results: Would you like to see Batwoman in a Team Book?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, new version of The Unknowns

1 2.27%
  • Yes, new version of The Gotham Knights

12 27.27%
  • Yes, Gotham City Monsters sequel

6 13.64%
  • Yes, but make a new team for her

8 18.18%
  • Yes, but add her to an existing team

6 13.64%
  • No, keep her solo

11 25.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I don't doubt you, but I also can't find any evidence of this second appearance anywhere.
    Huh, well maybe I'm wrong. I could swear there was another name drop, but hell, there's a lot of stuff happening in the world so maybe my wires are crossed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not without Flamebird!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Voted for Gotham City Monsters. I have not read it yet, but I do intend to at some point, and it seems like a nice mix of characters for her to be around. She works better in a supernatural setting- the other Gotham heroes dabble in it, but the spooky occult stuff is neat and a good niche for her. Also, when it doubt, she could be added to the Birds of Prey if they do another relaunch.

As for the Bruce stuff...I'd rather they not be related and she not be a regular part of the Bat-Family. Nothing after Williams and Blackman left has held my interest for too long. I'd love another solo series for her that just goes back to the Rucka/Williams III stories with more focus on the occult fringe of Gotham, and also gives Bette more stuff to do. Has she been sighted any time recently or is she in limbo? I know she was stated to be at West Point or something, but that seems like a hand waive to get her out of the picture.
    More or less, THIS. Kate is great with the spookier side of the verse. Even if not explicitly supernatural. Her first volume was awesome for this.

also, It is so clear that Bette should be her foil, in every sense of that. So any future book really should have her. They had a dynamic that would only have provided a lot of growth for each character. In various versions, imaginary or 'future', Bette has been shown to inherit the Batwoman title (even in Silver age stories), and I like it.

Now on to the matter of Kate and Bruce as cousins. I've mentioned the easy way to alter some of that, but here goes again.

And remember this is really not so uncommon in some families, even rich ones.

While Kate and Bette are first cousins - Jacob and the unknown, possibly twin/brother 'Phillp' (in some iterations of the family line).

Stories have shown Jacob and Martha, Bruce's mom, to be siblings.

But what if *they* are the real cousins, but were raised as siblings. Here's how:

Martha's father and Jacob/Phillip father were siblings. But maybe Martha's father adopted Jacob and Phillip as children because their father had died.

(and of course there could be a good Gotham mystery there).

so Jacob, et all are really 1st cousins to Martha, though raised and legally siblings because adopted.

Bette and Kate, are therefore a 2nd cousin to Bruce.

you're welcome.

Gotham City Monsters was good, but what it lacked, due to being a mini-series, was downtime and the civilian side. The 'Tec Gotham Knights run had the civilian parts of life where the heroes are out of costume- which is admittedly rather difficult for something like Gotham City Monsters to do, given that most of them are indeed monsters (and undead).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I loved her in Tynion's run. Maybe a brand new team or BOP
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Tied for Solo and Gotham Knights, interesting.

I actually thought Solo would get the biggest vote, given how more than few fans seem to want her independent from the Batfamily (how she was prior to the Tynion 'Tec run). Although, I say that in reference to a new Gotham Knights being the tied vote - since apart from BOP and Outsiders (which IMHO don't see her joining), every other Team would likely have Batwoman as the only Batfamily member on the team.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-25-2020 at 01:10 AM.

My personal tastes:
    1) Keep her solo. I think she works better as "the black sheep" of the bat family than running with her cousin Bruce on a constant basis. It allows her to form her own identity, support characters, love interests, villains, and etc. Instead of leaching (sorry can't think of a better word) off of Batman for all of that. That is why I loved Williams and Blackman's run they kept her out of Batman's crossovers, and were trying Kate her own hero without relying on Batman to help out. The rest have been crap to average at best.

2) If you have to have in teams I would rather a great World's Finest style series of one-on-one team ups with other DC heroes.

3) An alternate universe series like Bombshells.

Otherwise I have zero in another redundant DC team book if last 2 years it's a miracle.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 05-25-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    My personal tastes:
    1) Keep her solo. I think she works better as "the black sheep" of the bat family than running with her cousin Bruce on a constant basis. It allows her to form her own identity, support characters, love interests, villains, and etc. Instead of leaching (sorry can't think of a better word) off of Batman for all of that. That is why I loved Williams and Blackman's run they kept her out of Batman's crossovers, and were trying Kate her own hero without relying on Batman to help out. The rest have been crap to average at best.

2) If you have to have in teams I would rather a great World's Finest style series of one-on-one team ups with other DC heroes.

3) An alternate universe series like Bombshells.

Otherwise I have zero in another redundant DC team book if last 2 years it's a miracle.
    Jason kind of has black sheep of the family taken care of. Guy had to sneak in, while disguised, for Alfred's funeral because he was banned from it. And that's just the latest.

I did like the guest appearance by Kate in Red Hood when she helped Jason save that farming community. Those two really don't interact much otherwise though.

My personal tastes:
    1) Keep her solo. I think she works better as "the black sheep" of the bat family than running with her cousin Bruce on a constant basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jason kind of has black sheep of the family taken care of. Guy had to sneak in, while disguised, for Alfred's funeral because he was banned from it. And that's just the latest.
    But Jason said he could make room for her on the table!

Tec975_JasonTodd.jpg

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I don't think being the "black sheep" of a family is a desirable position. It more often than not just means that the character has no close/deep/meaningful relationships with the others, rarely interacts with the rest of the family and gets reduced to being the black sheep.

Black sheep are more likely to be excluded from emotional/important family moments.
    Black sheep are more likely to be blamed for something.
    Black sheep aren't treated like the rest of the family who are not black sheep.
    That doesn't sound like family at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    But Jason said he could make room for her on the table!

Tec975_JasonTodd.jpg
    I really didn't like the Trial of Batwoman. (I also didn't like Pennyworth R.I.P. aka the Trial of Batman for similar reasons. Unsurprisingly, both titles were written by the same person.)
    That's not how you treat family. You don't put a family member on trial. Period.

That is why I loved Williams and Blackman's run they kept her out of Batman's crossovers, and were trying Kate her own hero without relying on Batman to help out.
    Part of that was because Williams would not have been able to keep up with the art, not necessarily because they were explicitly trying to keep Kate away from Bruce. I mean, she literally goes to him for help in the second issue.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    I don't think being the "black sheep" of a family is a desirable position. It more often than not just means that the character has no close/deep/meaningful relationships with the others, rarely interacts with the rest of the family and gets reduced to being the black sheep.

Black sheep are more likely to be excluded from emotional/important family moments.
    Black sheep are more likely to be blamed for something.
    Black sheep aren't treated like the rest of the family who are not black sheep.
    That doesn't sound like family at all.

I really didn't like the Trial of Batwoman. (I also didn't like Pennyworth R.I.P. aka the Trial of Batman for similar reasons. Unsurprisingly, both titles were written by the same person.)
    That's not how you treat family. You don't put a family member on trial. Period.
    IMO she doesn't actually need to be a black-sheep, she just has to maintain a level of independence. I like her in the Batfam, but as other have said, she shouldn't spend all her time following Batman's orders but should instead be off doing her own thing (except in emergencies that require the whole family). Still can be invited to Batfamily-dinners.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Do what Marvel did with the new Agents of Atlas, and put a series of minis about the Global Guardians.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Do what Marvel did with the new Agents of Atlas, and put a series of minis about the Global Guardians.
    I think they already did something like that a while back with Batman Eternal, or something like that.

NOTE: This thread was originally started in May of 2020.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

With 33 people having voted so far,
    * No, keep her solo = 9 votes
    * Yes, new version of The Gotham Knights = 9 votes
    * Yes, but make a new team for her = 6 votes
    * Yes, Gotham City Monsters sequel = 4 votes
    * Yes, but add her to an existing team = 4 votes
    And one person chose the "Yes, new version of The Unknowns" option.