Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I don't know... Krypto was introduced before Supergirl was... He was brought back to the 'modern age' before Kara was.... He had his own tv show before Kara did...

It's not something i would have thought to point out before... but now that it's been mentioned, it's hard to debate.

Kara is in that tough spot, that she enriches Clark's world... but isn't necessary to it. You just can't picture a movie, series, or book about Superman that doesn't have Lois in it. That said, very rarely does Kara ever have a presence in media like that. They just aren't comparable. I'd frankly rank Jimmy over. She'd be somewhere around Perry White maybe. It's great when he's involved, but you can go a long time without him ever getting any spotlight at all and he's not really missed.
    Who came first isn't really a factor who has been more important generally is more important. He was brought back first but not really in his iconic form and even then it did not feel as significant as when Kara was brought back. By that logic, Kara had a movie before Krypto and has had more solo comics about her.

Lois is more important to Superman but they both enrich the character and his mythos so I don't think it is really worth debating about.

I mean, there's also the fact that Krypto genuinely has a more of an impact on various versions of Clark, while Kara is largely a nonfactor in his development, especially in the last 35-40 years. Her biggest connection was probably Smallville. CW Supergirl exists mostly independently of Superman and has stripmined his mythos to siphon off her own relevance more or less.

I should clarify that I'm talking about ranking in relation to Superman. Kara is a more well known character but not really important in Grand scheme of Superman's mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I mean, there's also the fact that Krypto genuinely has a more of an impact on various versions of Clark, while Kara is largely a nonfactor in his development, especially in the last 35-40 years. Her biggest connection was probably Smallville. CW Supergirl exists mostly independently of Superman and has stripmined his mythos to siphon off her own relevance more or less.

I should clarify that I'm talking about ranking in relation to Superman. Kara is a more well known character but not really important in Grand scheme of Superman's mythos.
    I don't agree with that. Krypto is mostly just a background character, Superman's pet. I wouldn't say Krypto is significant in Superman's development as much as he is just there as the pet.

Krypto isn't exactly important to Superman's mythos. He can be superfluous and most of the time he is just around to be a Dog and do Dog things.
    Last edited by KC; 05-14-2020 at 09:07 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I don't agree with that. Krypto is mostly just a background character, Superman's pet. I wouldn't say Krypto is significant in Superman's development as much as he is just there as the pet.

Krypto isn't exactly important to Superman's mythos. He can be superfluous and most of the time he is just around to be a Dog and do Dog things.
    Krypto was pretty important to superboy and in silverage. Modern age does him dirty. The character isn't just superman's pet, it is a symbol of his spirit and very being.Krypto is like superman's spirit animal or soul or essence in animal form. I am not overselling.

With him clark is never alone.So, yeah! Krypto would be more important for superman. He is the mascot. Unlike ace bathound, krypto and superboy are more tied together .

Astonishing Member

The problem with posting scenes to show how Character X is important to Superman is that finding a single scene showing Krypto, Supergirl, Lex or anyone else only demonstrates that someone somewhere wrote such a scene. A story involving Kara will obviously contain scenes showing how close she is to Kal. Even if it has been 40 issues since he gave her a second's thought that one scene will leave the impression that Kara deserves to be considered a crucial character to the mythos.

Going by most of the post-1986 stuff you'd refuse to believe you could have Superman stories where Lex didn't appear somewhere every other issue. The fact that much of the Silver and Bronze Age is made up of stories with no panel time for Lex shows otherwise. He showed up for an issue or two and then went to jail until he was needed again.

Krypto had a lot of adventures with Superboy and in the 1960's seemed to be just as tied to Superman, But it took over a decade to bring him back Post-Crisis and Superman made it through his first decade with NO other Kryptonians- human or dog. So Krypto isn't necessarily necessary on a regular basis.

And the idea that Lois is a top level journalist is something that has come and gone through out the past 80 years. Neither she nor Clark were major journalistic names until some-time in the Silver Age. And then it was more of a thing where one story had them being honored for their skill and the next had them quitting the Planet for some off the wall reason (Lois marrying a millionaire, Clark faking his own death). So the idea that Lois was always a journalistic luminary that other reporters dreamed of being isn't any more an inherent part of her character than Superman having to have fond memories of Krypton or a no-kill code. You might prefer these things but there have been Superman stories told where Superman sees himself as a human being rather than a Kryptonian and where Lois writes stories on a regular basis for the Planet that don't get her national recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The problem with posting scenes to show how Character X is important to Superman is that finding a single scene showing Krypto, Supergirl, Lex or anyone else only demonstrates that someone somewhere wrote such a scene.
    The scenes were to show how tied thematically superboy and his dog are. It wasn't to prove krypto's Importance. The main point is krpto is superman franchises mascot. Most franchises have them. Usually, mascot characters are very important .

Astonishing Member

Discussion derailed

Most of the time Post-Crisis Krypto hasn't really acted as a mascot for Superman, most of the time he is just a dog with Superpowers.

I agree with Jon Clark, it is nice to have a few moments to explore what Krypto means to Superman, but this is not how he is portrayed most of the time and you can find moments like this for a lot of characters.

Most of the time Post-Crisis Krypto hasn't really acted as a mascot for Superman, most of the time he is just a dog with Superpowers.

I agree with Jon Clark, it is nice to have a few moments to explore what Krypto means to Superman, but this is not how he is portrayed most of the time and you can find moments like this for a lot of characters.
    He got a cartoon show . He beat up superman along with batman in the brave and bold. There is the superpets franchise as well. No, it isn't just moments. The dog is iconic. He appeared in even smallville before supergirl,albeit as shelby. But, the point still stands. The character is iconic. Every, superboy needs his dog. Conner had him in titans tv as well. The character has appeared or has been referred in almost everything superman. Ofcourse, he is the mascot. This idea that krypto is unimportant is preposterous.
    Jimmy is superman's first side kick. The dog is his superman's partner in crime.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He got a cartoon show . He beat up superman along with batman in the brave and bold. There is the superpets franchise as well. No, it isn't just moments. The dog is iconic. He appeared in even smallville before supergirl,albeit as shelby. But, the point still stands. The character is iconic. Every, superboy needs his dog. Conner had him in titans tv as well. The character has appeared or has been referred in almost everything superman. Ofcourse, he is the mascot. This idea that krypto is unimportant is preposterous.
    Jimmy is superman's first side kick. The dog is his superman's partner in crime.
    Superman was hardly in Krypto's cartoon. And even then, it is just moments. In most of his appearances, Krypto just acts like a dog. There is nothing wrong with that (I really like Krypto) but there is barely ever more to him. I also never said he was unimportant, he isn't essential but he is still a good part of the Mythos.

I think if we're viewing the expanded mythos from a general sense, Krypo and Kara are probably the most accepted extensions of it.

Superman was hardly in Krypto's cartoon. And even then, it is just moments. In most of his appearances, Krypto just acts like a dog. There is nothing wrong with that (I really like Krypto) but there is barely ever more to him. I also never said he was unimportant, he isn't essential but he is still a good part of the Mythos.
    Because they wanted a kid to be main cast. They actually had him cameo. Furthermore, the big s on the dog's chest is dead give away. Dog can go anywhere, the franchise will be represented. Hence, the mascot. What are you talking about? the dog would sneese and batman would die.Just a dog. Peesh!

As said, thematically krypto represents superman's purest essence.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Because they wanted a kid to be main cast. They actually had him cameo. Furthermore, the big s on the dog's chest is dead give away. Dog can go anywhere, the franchise will be represented. Hence, the mascot. What are you talking about? the dog would sneese and batman would die.Just a dog. Peesh!

As said, thematically krypto represents superman's purest essence.
    He rarely cameoed in the cartoon. He isn't really a mascot for Superman in a show Superman is barely in. I don't think anyone really sees him as a mascot in-universe, he is just Superman's dog.

I don't know why you are bringing him fighting Batman into this, I wasn't talking about strength.

He rarely cameoed in the cartoon. He isn't really a mascot for Superman in a show Superman is barely in. I don't think anyone really sees him as a mascot in-universe, he is just Superman's dog.

I don't know why you are bringing him fighting Batman into this, I wasn't talking about strength.
    Let's just agree to disagree. We aren't going to agree on it. For me the dog has been superman's mascot since inception. Otherwise, he doesn't really need it. It's like heman and battle cat.

Astonishing Member

So, just how decorated a journalist should Krypto be, anyway?