Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Doctor Fate Appreciation Thread and his 74th Birthday!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With May 2014 being Doctor Fate's 74th birthday, I thought I'd get an appreciation thread happening for one of DC's mightiest mages!

It's a shame that DC never managed to get Dr. Fate to the same heights of Doctor Strange! Probably didn't help with the musical helmet of fate either!

Nonetheless I present you with the golden age Dr. Fate

KENT NELSON

I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

KENT NELSON

I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

HECTOR HALL

HECTOR HALL

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    It's a shame that DC never managed to get Dr. Fate to the same heights of Doctor Strange!
    The whole deal with Nabu is maybe a bit tougher to sell and explain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    This is showing my age but I LOVED Legends. Dr Fate became a real player in that series which led him to re-establish the Justice League. Unfortunately DeMatteis and Giffen went a little new age crazy which in my opinion started the downfall of the character.

Another classic Dr Fate story from All-Star Squadron as Dr Fate challenges the omnipotent Spectre!

INZA NELSON

Another interesting incarnation of Dr. Fate when Kent's wife Inza took over the helm for quite a few years. I guess you could call her the "people's" Dr. Fate. However I always preferred the animated version of Inza who supported Kent with research and magic.

Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 05-04-2014 at 02:46 PM.

I've always wanted to read some Dr. Fate; I became even more interested with the Justice League and Young Justice shows. Do you guys have any recommendations? and a little background about the character I should know

BANNED

I think Fate has one of the coolest helmets in all comics, just look at it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My personal favorite Dr. Fate material is Messner-Loebs run, followed by DeMatteis. Yes, he went a bit far with the new age stuff, but that's DeMatteis for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post

Another classic Dr Fate story from All-Star Squadron as Dr Fate challenges the omnipotent Spectre!
    This is definitely a classic. This story made me a fan of both Fate and the Spectre.

I don't know how well-regarded it is these days, but I'm a huge fan of the DeMatteis/Giffen miniseries from the late 80's. This was a ganuinely creepy series.