Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    I've always wanted to read some Dr. Fate; I became even more interested with the Justice League and Young Justice shows. Do you guys have any recommendations? and a little background about the character I should know
    Hey Flash... Dr. Fate has had a diverse career in the DC Universe and I personally believe the Golden Age Doctor Fate is the best version. To make a long story short, a 12-year old Kent Nelson was on an archaeological dig with his father Sven in the Valley of Ur.

Unbeknown to them both and while exploring, they released an ancient gas that held Nabu, a godlike being in status which killed Sven Nelson. Nabu was an Egyptian Wizard and also a Lord of Order from another realm with godlike powers. The Lords of Order fought a never ending battle against the Lords of Chaos and Nabu protected Earth.

Depending on which origin you read, Nabu wiped the memory of Sven's death from Kent and trained him in the mystic arts. Years passed and when Kent became a man (or Nabu aged him to adulthood), the Lord of Order removed the mind wipe from Kent which forced Kent to destroy Nabu's mortal shell in rage.

Nabu as an energy being explained what he had done and then gave Kent the mystic artifacts of Dr. Fate which was the Helm of Nabu, the Cloak of Destiny and the Amulet of Anubis. Kent donned the items and became Dr. Fate who waged war on the Lords of Chaos and their agents on Earth.

These two images sum up his history rather well...

Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 05-05-2014 at 02:11 AM.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

No love for Eric and Linda Strauss or Kent V. Nelson?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    I don't know how well-regarded it is these days, but I'm a huge fan of the DeMatteis/Giffen miniseries from the late 80's. This was a ganuinely creepy series.
    I love this mini series as well. Some things could have been fleshed out better but it was good. I read a few issues of the ongoing that followed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke the Terminator View Post
    I think Fate has one of the coolest helmets in all comics, just look at it.
    Dr. Fate has the best costume in comics. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    I've always wanted to read some Dr. Fate; I became even more interested with the Justice League and Young Justice shows. Do you guys have any recommendations? and a little background about the character I should know
    You can try the 1999 JSA series. The first arc is about the coming of the new Dr. Fate. JMS also wrote a Brave and the Bold issue showing Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson) and Hal Jordan teaming and getting into a debate about predetermination and fate.

That's the most recent stuff that I can think of. If you are willing to look even further back, there is the Giffen/DeMattis Dr. Fate mini series from the 80's with Kent Nelson passing the torch to Eric and Linda Strauss and the subsequent ongoing that came from it.

BANNED

Kent & Inza being ushered into the gates of heaven

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Discovered Kent in a "new" copy of All-Star Comics back in 1976. I always thought Dr. Fate was a great character and should have been more appreciated by the masses.

BTW, must have discovered the lovely Inza a year or two later in a reprint.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Discovered Kent in a "new" copy of All-Star Comics back in 1976. I always thought Dr. Fate was a great character and should have been more appreciated by the masses.

BTW, must have discovered the lovely Inza a year or two later in a reprint.
    The All-Star Comics interpretation of Dr. Fate was great! Ahh... the good old days!
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

I also miss how DC have removed the double talk box for the new Dr. Fate as well... you always knew fate was around with the dark blue talk boxes

I don't know how well-regarded it is these days, but I'm a huge fan of the DeMatteis/Giffen miniseries from the late 80's. This was a ganuinely creepy series.

Me too. I still enjoy that mini series. It was probably the grimmest Dr Fate story/portrayal ever. Absolutely riveting.

I thought DeMatteis 24 issue follow up was pretty cool too, it was slightly lighter than the mini series but still a fantastic story with wonderful art and supporting characters (Jack Small and Petey the Demon ... they were an awesome pair!)
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 05-05-2014 at 10:19 PM.

What does everyone think of the earth 2 new 52 dr fate?

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    What does everyone think of the earth 2 new 52 dr fate?
    He's not bad, but we haven't really seen enough of him for me to really develop a strong opinion just yet. There's certainly potential there and I'm glad they didn't take too long in introducing their version of Fate. I think the look of the character is one of the better redesigns of the new 52.

On the subject of Fate, I have to say that I never liked the Jared Stevens character. For me, he was one of many poorly thought out grim 'n gritty redesigns from the 90's. My friend (a fellow Dr. Fate fan) and I always joked about how we'd kill off the character by having somebody stab him in the back off-panel so that the true Dr. Fate could return.

Thank you Geoff Johns:

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Dr. Fate, truly my favorite sorcerer in comics! I always loved Kent Nelson and his tales from Simonson and Giffen, along with his many appearances in All-Star Squadron, JL, and his own series. I thought Inza was just so cool too! Then with so many changes and alterations to the character, he kind of faded for me, but I always kept tabs. When Kent V. Nelson appeared I felt a touch of the old magic along with a new dimension being developed. So sad to see it was never able to go beyond that mini.

Never the less, Dr. Fate deserves a higher status, and I can't wait to see more from him in the new 52!
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Now, here's potentially interesting team up.

Dr. Fate and Zatanna.

http://img0.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/...e-1073053.jpeg

In hindsight, it's so obvious that I am surprised it hasn't been done before. Excluding Young Justice where they did a completely different thing.

They have both been magical advisors to the DCU heroes. They are both largely associated with teams and they are both powerful magicians in their own right who have been trained by another powerful magician.

If they both team up what would their dynamic be? Dr. Fate is in a constant battle for his humanity with Nabu. Zatanna doesn't have the same problem.

On the subject of Fate, I have to say that I never liked the Jared Stevens character. For me, he was one of many poorly thought out grim 'n gritty redesigns from the 90's. My friend (a fellow Dr. Fate fan) and I always joked about how we'd kill off the character by having somebody stab him in the back off-panel so that the true Dr. Fate could return.

Thank you Geoff Johns:

Keith Giffen actually managed to make him interesting for a while:

http://about-faces.livejournal.com/63668.html

But yeah, no way, am I reading a Dr. Fate series focused on Jared Stevens over one focusing on Kent Nelson, Hector Hall or Eric & Linda Strauss.

Last edited by John Venus; 05-05-2014 at 10:18 PM.