Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post

Memories of DC's Super Powers! I loved being able to get a Doctor Fate action figure when I was a kid, especially with its special "magical" action. So many battles with Darkseid and co ... They even teamed up with Star Wars to fight the Emperor and Darkseid! Good days!

I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

You gotta love the Golden Age... magic and might
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Dr. Fate's helmet shown in new Constantine trailer!!!

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/06/08...n-new-trailer/
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-09-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Yeah that helm reveal had me smiling from ear to ear. Here's my latest tribute vid to the blue and gold sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape and Cowl View Post
    Yeah that helm reveal had me smiling from ear to ear. Here's my latest tribute vid to the blue and gold sorcerer.

Awesome video!

One thing Marvel does better than DC... Statues! Marvel have statues for so many of their characters, whereas DC generally push Batman or their main core.

I would love to see a Dr Fate statue and one clever sculptor "called" Nimajneb has created a scale 1/6 (55cm) statue of my favourite doctor...

He's done some amazing sculpts and I wish I could find a painted version of this statue.

http://nimajneb-sculpture.blogspot.c...te-statue.html

A nice custom of Magneto as Dr Fate! This statue looks like the Todd McFarlane Fate from All-Star Squadron #47

The similarities are uncanny!

Ultimate Member

One thing that DC has as an option that they don't always seem to explore to it's potential is ties to Egypt.

Marvel has a powerful lock on Norse myth with Thor and his *vast* cast of secondary characters and the plethora of rich settings and monsters and stuff in the Nine Worlds. DC and Marvel sort of share a (IMO, half-hearted) lock on classical Greek lore, with versions of Hercules and Ares, etc. But, other than Set as a snake/darkness/chaos monster (pretty much the *exact opposite* of the mythological Set), the ancient Egyptian mutant Apocalypse, the long-forgotten and dead super-villain the Sphinx, Bast as 'goddess of Wakanda,' and Moon Knight, Marvel has more or less left Egyptian lore / mythology alone.

DC has Dr. Fate, some versions of Hawkman/Hawkwoman and Black Adam with ties to ancient Egyptian lore. Dr. Mist / Nommo might also have ties to Egypt. If DC wanted, they could use Dr. Fate to expand on Egyptian lore and myth in the same way that Marvel has built Asgardian lore up from the Thor character's interactions with it.

Introducing Apep/Apophis, the Serpent Which Devours the Dawn, and ancient adversary of the Egyptian gods, who attempts to swallow the sun every day and return the universe to primordial darkness and chaos, as a foe for Dr. Fate could be one way to tie him more strongly to ancient Egyptian lore. Keeping the 'gods' relatively weak and distant, and putting all the work on Fate (and whatever allies he can muster) would make it different than some other uses of mythic figures. It's been 3000 years since they were a force to be reckoned with, and now Horus, Thoth, Ra, etc. have invested their waning power in mortal(ish) champions like Black Adam and Fate, to carry on the struggle against the ancient threats to creation they can no longer oppose directly.

Other figures could have some startling interpretations. It's rarely mentioned in polite society, but sweet Isis is the inventor of both necromancy and necrophilia, and upset the natural order of the universe, throwing Ma'at into disarray by dragging her brother-husband out of the underworld, and creating a half-alive/half-dead child with him. Sweetness and light? Not so much. Someone willing to tear the laws of the universe asunder with her bare hands and threaten all of creation to bring her love back to her? Very much yes.

From Septembers solicits:
    THE MULTIVERSITY: THE SOCIETY OF SUPER-HEROES: CONQUERORS OF THE COUNTER-WORLD #1
    Written by GRANT MORRISON
    Art and cover by CHRIS SPROUSE and KARL STORY
    1:10 B&W Variant cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
    1:25 Variant cover by FRAZER IRVING
    1:50 Variant cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    1:100 Variant cover by GRANT MORRISON
    SEPTEMBER 17 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
    Retailers: This issue will ship with five covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    The biggest adventure in DC Comics history continues!
    Grant Morrison joins modern legend Chris Sprouse (TOM STRONG, BATMAN: RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE, ACTION COMICS) for a trip to Earth-20 starring a Society of Super Heroes unlike anything you’ve seen before! It’s pulp Super Hero action with a post-modern twist — you can’t afford to miss it!
    Who is the demon-like Green Lantern protecting Earth-20? What secret does Doc Fate hold that could save the world? Who are the hand-to-hand and air-to-air combat queens known as the Blackhawks? And what happens when these heroes come face to face with their diabolical Earth-40 counterparts – led by Vandal Savage – for an epic war between parallel worlds? Find out all that and more in this exciting stand-alone issue which also acts as chapter two of the overall MULTIVERSITY storyline. Join us, if you dare, for THE MULTIVERSITY!

MULTI-SOCIETY-1.jpg

Glad to see Doc Fate on the cover.

Yeah I love the idea of a pulp/magic world.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I love the idea of a pulp/magic world.
    That is one cool cover!

the helm awaits...

BANNED

The one in smallville got the costume and helmet right.