Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I gave some additional thought to this, and although I did not like Sins Past, it did not make me angry ( I actually like the title but not the story). These stories made me angry. 3: Clone Saga. 2: Silk Arc ( it caused me to stop Spider-Man until Slott left the book. 1: My most hated story: What else?OMD/BND

Sins Past is my guilty pleasure. And, at the end of the day, even when the concept is pretty bad, it’s a story, with characters beats and, until the revelation of the Stacy twins true lineage, a well constructed mystery.
    OMD is clearly more of a story to serve an end than a selfcontained arc. Its only purpose is to get rid of the marriage and continuity baggage, though failed in that aspect as it introduces more questions instead of simplifying things. The story goes in circles for way too long and the pacing is poorly done.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

For as long as I can remember, I've heard people say that "One More Day" is one of the worst, if not the worst, Spider-man stories. But I tend to have a different opinion. Sure, "One More Day" was strange and there were other ways to make people forget that Peter is Spider-man. But to me I believe that what it was, a really strange story that could have had a better execution, the worst Spider-man story in my opinion is when it was reviled that Gwen Stacy had an affair with Norman Osborne before her death.

It made little to no sense, it put a hole in Peter and Gwen's relationship it, and it transformed Gwen's death from an incident that was important to Spider-man life and made his rivalry with the Green Goblin more personal into Norman's way to get rid of the child that Gwen was pregnant with.

What do you guys think?
    You and others might be interested in this thread I made when I'd read Sins Past and One More Day for the first time last year:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-One-More-Day

I hate both of them. The two worst Spider-Man stories and two of the worst stories I've ever read.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 05-14-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I gave some additional thought to this, and although I did not like Sins Past, it did not make me angry ( I actually like the title but not the story). These stories made me angry. 3: Clone Saga. 2: Silk Arc ( it caused me to stop Spider-Man until Slott left the book. 1: My most hated story: What else?OMD/BND
    Yeah, I hate Silk too.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Sins Past is my guilty pleasure. And, at the end of the day, even when the concept is pretty bad, it’s a story, with characters beats and, until the revelation of the Stacy twins true lineage, a well constructed mystery.
    OMD is clearly more of a story to serve an end than a selfcontained arc. Its only purpose is to get rid of the marriage and continuity baggage, though failed in that aspect as it introduces more questions instead of simplifying things. The story goes in circles for way too long and the pacing is poorly done.
    Pretty much this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The true answer depends on whether one is more angered by stories that are the more mediocre comic books themselves like the at this point out of continuity Sin's Past or are more upset by stories you believe had lasting damage on the narrative even if they have more merit in a vaccum. If you are the former then your most hated Spider-Man story could be the Clone's Saga, the O'Neil run, Chapter One, Sin's Past, etc. If you are the latter, nothing has had the effect that OMD has had and if you hate that change you should hate OMD the most.

By acknowledging this difference in how negative reception is viewed in our corner of the medium that revolves around never-ending stories, we can come to more interesting conclusions on the infamous stories that are generally perceived as the worst and how one could also view the true worst stories as those that are so mediocre as to be completely forgotten and unable to garner any discourse, or otherwise adequate stories which had lasting impacts on their narratives that can be perceived negatively despite the work of the original yarn's creators.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The true answer depends on whether one is more angered by stories that are the more mediocre comic books themselves like the at this point out of continuity Sin's Past or are more upset by stories you believe had lasting damage on the narrative even if they have more merit in a vaccum. If you are the former then your most hated Spider-Man story could be the Clone's Saga, the O'Neil run, Chapter One, Sin's Past, etc. If you are the latter, nothing has had the effect that OMD has had and if you hate that change you should hate OMD the most.

By acknowledging this difference in how negative reception is viewed in our corner of the medium that revolves around never-ending stories, we can come to more interesting conclusions on the infamous stories that are generally perceived as the worst and how one could also view the true worst stories as those that are so mediocre as to be completely forgotten and unable to garner any discourse, or otherwise adequate stories which had lasting impacts on their narratives that can be perceived negatively despite the work of the original yarn's creators.
    Can someone be both? I despise the changing of the narrative like OMD/BND and Silk more, but I hate Clone Saga as well. How? I can honestly say there are only two characters ever created in the History of Spider-Man that I hate. One is Jackal ( every appearance reminds me of Clone Saga), and the other is of course, Silk. Obscure bad stories do not anger me. Why? Spider-Man has been around since 1962, so you have to expect bad stories and bad runs. LetÂ’s take Chapter One, it does not aggravate me in the way Silk does. Why? I see Chapter One as a comic as an alternative universe from Byrne, with no shelf life. Silk is a different animal. That messed with Amazing Fantasy in Amazing Spider-Man. As far as OÂ’NeillÂ’s run is concerned, it was not good, but it did not do lasting damage like SlottÂ’s did ( see BND and Silk that I hated, and others I simply disliked like Jackpot and Alpha). I will not watch the cartoon or read Fantastic Four just because Slott is involved.

Astonishing Member

It's the same thing whenever there's a list of "Best Spider-Man/Batman/Superman Stories Ever" - it always ends up being a highlight reel of the most important stories, plus one or two agreed upon classics. The expertly crafted but ultimately inconsequential obscurities don't get a look-in.

Astonishing Member

Well, to be honest, Gwen Stacy's affair is one of the stories I hate more than One More Day. I mean, it was completely out of character! It would have worked if Osborn would have created the twins using Spider-Man and Gwen's DNA, as it was originally the idea of being Peter's children. I mean, with the Jackal's tech for cloning, how difficult would have been to artificially create two babys? Sounds gross too, but it would have had more sense that they made in the end. Osborn did something similar in MC2 when he cloned baby May.

OMD by far. The book is still under the shadow of that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I like your avatar. Kill la Kill? Also, very good point you raise there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Sins Past, no contest for me. The very premise makes me want to vomit. Destroyed so much Spidey history and desecrated Gwen beyond measure.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Sins Past, no contest for me. The very premise makes me want to vomit. Destroyed so much Spidey history and desecrated Gwen beyond measure.
    That it did.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

iMan 42s

I think I've said enough about my disdain for OMD and the people who worked on it. Sins Past however is certainly more offensive and utterly wastes what few good ideas it has on Norman Osborn screwing Gwen Stacy.

And yeah I'm gonna harp on that for a minute.
    It's only Norman Osborn because he's the Green Goblin. Norman is a famous Spider-man villain sure, but him fucking Gwen Stacy is only here for shock value. It had no purpose and shown nothing to indicate Gwen would be into him. And if that wasn't enough the twins age considerably fast and are then immediately trained to fight Spider-man in a period of time when the Clone Saga was going on or at least being planned. So what exactly would've happened had the Jackal ever killed Peter or Peter just died before the twins could get to him? Hell, Gwen was dead before Kraven's Last Hunt and Kraven damn well could've killed Peter there. But more to the bigger issue is that the debut of Gabriel and Sarah is in the same story as the retcon. So Gwen is reduced to a baby factory to create two supervillains. The shock of finding out Norman is the father is a big twist, but Norman could've easily been Shocker or the Lizard. The father of the twins could've been anybody because the motivation is to kill Peter for the death of their mother. So Norman being here is to create spin-off Goblin via superhuman pregnancy and even at that it didn't have to be Gwen. Gwen is a motivation because it's someone Peter failed to save but there's a few characters you could've done that with already or just made a new character. Sure it's personal with Gwen, but he's going on the adventure regardless and so we dug up Gwen's corpse just to say that she cucked him while on the way out.

It's a mess of a story and even spin-off goblin hasn't been seen much since. The whole story is just this poorly thought out regressive garbage.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Sins Past has to be worse IMO
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man