Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Because writing about Spider-Man fighting a villain and saving the universe is cool and exciting.
    Writing about Peter Parker trying to get the money for his rent is dull and boring.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Because writing about Spider-Man fighting a villain and saving the universe is cool and exciting.
    Writing about Peter Parker trying to get the money for his rent is dull and boring.
    Yeah, I've heard that before, but wasn't the appeal of Spider-Man in the first place that he wasn't the typical superhero power fantasy, that he was a hero who was closer to real life and the real world than most superheroes at the time (and perhaps even today) were?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that before, but wasn't the appeal of Spider-Man in the first place that he wasn't the typical superhero power fantasy, that he was a hero who was closer to real life and the real world than most superheroes at the time (and perhaps even today) were?
    When it's done right you can combine the those two aspects like in the classic If This Be My Destiny arc by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko and one of the reasons it's one the Spider-Man greatest stories of all time was him doing everything to save Aunt May both as Spider-Man and Peter Parker including selling his stuff as Peter Parker to get money for May's medical care and as Spider-Man he is pushed to the breaking point and beyond.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    When it's done right you can combine the those two aspects like in the classic If This Be My Destiny arc by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko and one of the reasons it's one the Spider-Man greatest stories of all time was him doing everything to save Aunt May both as Spider-Man and Peter Parker including selling his stuff as Peter Parker to get money for May's medical care and as Spider-Man he is pushed to the breaking point and beyond.
    Indeed, it is. That's the balance I think a lot of writers/editors lose sight of, and because of that, so have a lot of the in-universe characters.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

One More Day is responsible for its own horribleness and also responsible for Sins Past still being on the books. As originally planned, OMD was supposed to erase Sins Past. That might have redeemed OMD a little bit.

So, as things stand, OMD and Sins Past are linked and OMD allows Sins Past to exist still and is therefore the worst of the two.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    One More Day is responsible for its own horribleness and also responsible for Sins Past still being on the books. As originally planned, OMD was supposed to erase Sins Past. That might have redeemed OMD a little bit.

So, as things stand, OMD and Sins Past are linked and OMD allows Sins Past to exist still and is therefore the worst of the two.
    Sins Past would still be a horrible story even if they retconed it away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Sins Past has one good thing: A clever title. There is nothing good about OMD, and I would add Clone Saga to the nothing good list. I can honestly say there are only two characters in the history of Spider-Man who make me cringe: Cindy Moon and the even worse Jackal. Every single time I see him I think Clone Saga ( think of the latest Ghost-Spider Gwen). I will not read another story involving Jackal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Horrible but accurate. Gwen totally would have done that. She made one bad decision after another during her brief comics life.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Horrible but accurate. Gwen totally would have done that. She made one bad decision after another during her brief comics life.
    Still doesn't fit.

The timeline was all wrong, it makes MJ into a worse person for having kept a secret like this from Peter, and it relies on a personality for Norman that didn't exist at the time the story was supposed to take place.

Plus the whole idea of super aging twins doesn't hold up that well, and the Gray Goblin is about the most boring character design they could have come up with.

Astonishing Member

That is very fair about Gwen in 616 ( although to be fair you can say the same thing about Liz).

Here is an interesting video about OMD. She makes some good points.

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Both stories are dumb... though I'm SLIGHTLY leaning toward Sins Past. It undermined why Gwen was murdered by the Green Goblin, as it goes from Norman looking to pick a fight with Peter and Gwen just happening to be there to an episode of Maury Povich. Also, it is on the sliding scale of arch villainy where it becomes cartoonish. Norman: "Guess what Parker! If genetically altered actresses aren't enough, I slept with your girlfriend too HAHAHAHAH!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Both stories are dumb... though I'm SLIGHTLY leaning toward Sins Past. It undermined why Gwen was murdered by the Green Goblin, as it goes from Norman looking to pick a fight with Peter and Gwen just happening to be there to an episode of Maury Povich. Also, it is on the sliding scale of arch villainy where it becomes cartoonish. Norman: "Guess what Parker! If genetically altered actresses aren't enough, I slept with your girlfriend too HAHAHAHAH!"
    10 years of Dan Slott is reason enough to hate OMD more ( but by no mans the only reason).

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Sins Past is the stain that can be removed with a cup of Tide.

One More Day is the stain that ruins the rest of the load when you try to wash it out.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Sins Past is the stain that can be removed with a cup of Tide.

One More Day is the stain that ruins the rest of the load when you try to wash it out.
    LOL, I love this description.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."