Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    Honestly I think that Sins Past is the WORST SM story EVER. It's simply awful, it completely destroys Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane for no reason at all. Gwen becomes a stupid girl who had sex with a 50 years old man without a reason cheating on her 20 years old boyfriend and MJ looks like a total b**** who knew everything and never told Peter. Also, the story is completely incoherent with lots of earlier stories. It's 100% garbage, terrible and offensive.
    When was MJ supposed to tell Peter? "Oh yeah, it turns out Gwen had two kids and Norman's the father. How do you want your eggs this morning?"

OMD for me. It's Lobdell's Teen Titans level of bad.

The kind of trash awful enough to make you drop a book.

Astonishing Member

Of course OMD. The complete destruction of a huge layer of Peter's history, unceremoniously getting rid of his family life, one of the worst decisions in comic book history. I'm glad, that Spencer is moving towards undoing this thing.
    The plot with Gwen's children is unpleasant, but, to be honest, I personally just never really liked her, so I wasn't very upset about her affair with Osborn.

One More Day was worse. I thought Gwen and Osborn was cringeworthy, but OMD destroyed it for me worse. Having goody-two-shoes Gwen sex a super villain, seemed uncharacteristic of Gwen’s moral fibre and insinuates she slept around, to attempt such a thing. Not that Gwens aspect was unusual in Sins Past, just that it had no precedence. But OMD? Don’t give us Spiderman as being so clingy about May, he sacrifices HIS family. That makes Peter more of a loser than I see him anyway. Wow. “Someone’s sick. I know. I’ll get rid of my wife, so the sick relative can live”.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Always the affair.

Don’t give us Spiderman as being so clingy about May, he sacrifices HIS family.
    Aunt May is his family.

I’ll get rid of my wife, so the sick relative can live”.
    It's not like he was tossing MJ off a bridge. He got rid of his marriage so somebody didn't die.

I think it depends on which lenses you use to see it. Ultimately, Sins Past can be somewhat disturbing in how it portrays the affair between Gwen and Osborn, and it is certainly a gut punch to the reader and I feel its an overall stain in the story of all parties involved. If JMS wanted to give Gwen more human depth, he could have done something else aside from her cheating on Peter with Norman Osborn no less. But again, this is more detrimental to both Gwen and somewhat Osborn, Peter had no say in this matter, it wasn't his fault that Gwen cheated on him and neither was his fault that Osborn impregnated her.

In that regard, One More Day is probably a bigger stain on Spider-Man himself. Since the simple fact he considered doing a pact with Mephisto to save Aunt May is just...bad, and its even worse when you see it in the context of the stories. I get that the original idea was for Peter to do the deal immediately after the shot, but like, in the stories we got at the end we had Peter with plenty of time to consider and ponder on his loss. Like, deadass God came down from the heavens to tell Peter that sometimes you gotta let go in life, and yet it still happened.

It just ain't it. Honestly both stories are detrimental to the mythos of the character, and for a personal matter I have a bigger dislike of Sins Past that of One More Day, no less because of just how creepy and weird it is to portray a relationship between a vulnerable young person and a creepy old man like Osborn. Even more so because at least One More Day gets undone more and more by the days, and yet every so often we still get the weird nudge at Sins Past from Marvel, like testing the waters to see if people dislikes it less nowadays (Answer is no. Since Gwen is even more popular than back then. Fans don't want to know that the Prime Version of Spider-Gwen got in affair with Norman Bloody Osborn)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Aunt May is his family.

It's not like he was tossing MJ off a bridge. He got rid of his marriage so somebody didn't die.
    Thanks to Demon Magic.

Why couldn't Dr. Doom save Aunt May again?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Thanks to Demon Magic.

Why couldn't Dr. Doom save Aunt May again?
    Because that wouldn't have served the Editorial purpose of the story. This is what I hate most about OMD, it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. I'll never believe that no one in 616 Marvel other than Mephisto could save Aunt May from a simple gunshot wound. Such a scenario makes not a damn lick of in-universe narrative sense, whoever claims otherwise is, bluntly put, a moron who hasn't been paying attention for the last sixty-odd years.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-06-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

They really should’ve let May die and have Mephisto place a curse on Peter for defying him. In an adventure that had nothing to do with saving her life or a Faustian pact.

For Peter at the time; uncle Ben, Harry, Gwen, his unborn child with MJ, Ned Leeds, Ben Reilly and others were dead. The only connection he had left was with MJ. Have Mephisto curse Peter to take away his last remaining relationship. The spell works retroactively undoing 20 years of the marriage but also bringing several the dead back to life and resetting Peter’s Spider powers to pre-totem era.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Because that wouldn't have served the Editorial purpose of the story. This is what I hate most about OMD, it threw the entire Marvel Universe under the bus. I'll never believe that no one in 616 Marvel other than Mephisto could save Aunt May from a simple gunshot wound. Such a scenario makes not a damn lick of in-universe narrative sense, whoever claims otherwise is, bluntly put, a moron who hasn't been paying attention for the last sixty-odd years.
    That's my point. OMD is contrived. It's one of the most contrived stories in Marvel's publishing history, if not THE most contrived story.

It's supposed to be this tragic story about two people in loved forced to separate for the perceived greater good. It doesn't feel like that at all. It's just page after page of the entire Marvel Universe being useless. Of Peter being a petulant child who guilt trips MJ into making the deal. There's nothing sad or heroic in this garbage. It's just "we want Spider-Man to be like this! **** You if you think any different!"

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

To me I know that OMD/Peters new history only happened because of their deal with Mephisto but you cant say that about Gwen/Norman.

Spectacular Member

When was MJ supposed to tell Peter? "Oh yeah, it turns out Gwen had two kids and Norman's the father. How do you want your eggs this morning?"
    I hope you don't have trusted people in your life, then!

Astonishing Member

That would've been bad even if he wasn't the Green Goblin.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That would've been bad even if he wasn't the Green Goblin.
    Indeed, Norman being the father is so out of leftfield and slimy I can't buy it. Now, if it was explained Norman hypnotized Gwen (basically raped her) I wouldn't object, well, I'd object but for different reasons.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."