Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The only thing is those guys were a different class of actor than Pattison. I mean Keaton was a legit psycho and experienced character actor. The others had more experience building up to the role. I do feel like Affleck was the best but in the most hated movies.

But who knows maybe he'll surprise everybody gotta wait and see I guess.
    Bale is a fantastic actor...

He was easily one of my least favorite Batman. His animalistic, shouting voice was so misguided ... heath is the only reason people really recognize those movies as anything significant. This is coming from a huge nolan fan... those movies were expositional disasters and bale has come forward even stating his Batman disappointed him...

Affleck in many peoples minds is a subpar actor at best yet nailed bruce and batman.. had he been in better films he would be hard to surpas...

As far Roberts physic the reality is 3 months is likely all he'd need to have muscle and be defined. At least as far as looking athletic. And if he never takes his shirt off then we will never know regardless.

Personally more muscle is better. But if a keaton esque defining performancing and a fantastic movie comes out of this... then I'll be happy regardless ... plus photos have surfaced of him packing on muscle... so he may just be taunting easily angered fan boys... most of which are pretty tubby

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think there's a difference between looking bulky and looking athletic though. I don't necessarily think Batman should look like the former, but I DO think he should look like the later. He doesn't necessarily need to look like a body builder... but he should look like a guy in really good shape, because obviously Batman needs to be in good shape. It's not like Iron Man where the suit is doing all the work... Batman should be an athlete. It just makes sense that he should look that way.

Obviously you can't tell how athletic a person necessarily looks unless he takes his short off or whatever... nonetheless,I think that's a fair expectation to have for Batman.

Which isn't to say Robert doesn't that that sort of build now, or at least can't get it by the time the movie comes out.
    Honestly looking athletic is all diet and minimal training.

Looking big is much harder.

I went 160lbs to 196lbs in 6 months. No special guidance or trainer. It may not be a hollywood bod but i didnt find it very hard...

A month or two on a good diet and bit of lifting with Hollywood lights and camera tricks they could easily make rob look great.

d10b258cffcb18e38a136513f7dd9669-01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Honestly looking athletic is all diet and minimal training.

Looking big is much harder.

I went 160lbs to 196lbs in 6 months. No special guidance or trainer. It may not be a hollywood bod but i didnt find it very hard...

A month or two on a good diet and bit of lifting with Hollywood lights and camera tricks they could easily make rob look great.

The fact that it's shouldn't be ridiculously hard for him to look in reasonably athletic shape (since as far as I can tell he's normally in descent pretty shape) is why it would be disappointing if Hollywood magic was necessary to achieve that. It would mean Robert isn't even really trying.

But again, it's too soon to assume that. As long as he looks fine by the movie, it should all be moot. We'll see.

Extraordinary Member

Bale is a fantastic actor...

He was easily one of my least favorite Batman. His animalistic, shouting voice was so misguided ... heath is the only reason people really recognize those movies as anything significant. This is coming from a huge nolan fan... those movies were expositional disasters and bale has come forward even stating his Batman disappointed him...

Affleck in many peoples minds is a subpar actor at best yet nailed bruce and batman.. had he been in better films he would be hard to surpas...

As far Roberts physic the reality is 3 months is likely all he'd need to have muscle and be defined. At least as far as looking athletic. And if he never takes his shirt off then we will never know regardless.

Personally more muscle is better. But if a keaton esque defining performancing and a fantastic movie comes out of this... then I'll be happy regardless ... plus photos have surfaced of him packing on muscle... so he may just be taunting easily angered fan boys... most of which are pretty tubby
    Ha agreed on all points.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 05-14-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I don't think the issue is "can the film cover it up", for me the issue is: why should HE decide that the editors, and costume designers, and make-up artists and cinematographer have to worker harder (WHEN PAID LESS) to compensate for his laziness? It's pure ego. Requiring others to worker harder because your giant paycheck and personal trainer didn't 'motivate you enough' in isolation to work for two hours. He has nothing else to do right now, it's not a big ask (esp. when taking into account how much he's being paid to look a certain way).

By the same logic: you don't hire a personal trainer for someone because you don't care what Batman looks like

I don't think it's to do with a power fantasy, if the studio doesn't care to have a Batman in shape, cool. Love it! Embrace the new normal, take a different approach, etc. The fact they paid for a personal trainer, to me, implies that is not the case. For me the issue is about privilege. A black actress is having to train hard because the studio won't tolerate anything less from her (there are so many stories of producers telling actresses they are 'fat' because they aren't a rake). Meanwhile the str8 white guy... brags in an interview about how, when he has nothing to do, he doesn't even train despite being asked to. It just doesn't come from a very informed place. Or a place of understanding about his privilege.
    The obvious answer there goes a little somethings like...

"Because the only reason that they even have those jobs(no matter how easy or difficult they may wind up being...) to start with is this actor playing this character in a well-funded "Big Studio" film.

Seems like losing the forest for the trees if you are looking at it any other way. Without that set of central pieces, we don't even have a conversation to go into.

Never mind that if you are looking at the story they have said they are telling and think that a well-conditioned Bruce Wayne is anything even remotely like "Important...", you are probably ignoring everything that this film will most likely actually be remembered for years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The only thing is those guys were a different class of actor than Pattison. I mean Keaton was a legit psycho and experienced character actor. The others had more experience building up to the role. I do feel like Affleck was the best but in the most hated movies.

But who knows maybe he'll surprise everybody gotta wait and see I guess.
    The jury is still out on that.

I'm looking for where the guys mentioned seriously outclassed The Lighthouse. Off the top of my head? I don't know that there is even one example. Never mind one example for each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Also, a personal trainer to do what exactly? We don’t know!!
    It's safe to assume it wasn't to do nothing though

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    I don't know enough about the situation to have an opinion, but in an era where an entire class of people are vilified daily for working three jobs but still needing welfare, I'd say that a joke about being hired to do something and not doing it, but being paid tons for it regardless, isn't very funny. I don't know if he was hired on any expectation of physical condition, and I don't know if he's in less than excellent shape.
    THIS! It was just such a poorly judged "joke" (if it was a joke) and showed a really unlikable amount of privilege either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I’m not gonna read all that man
    HA! I mean this in the nicest possible way, but maybe message boards aren't for you then. I didn't type out a response to rival War and Peace

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I know a lot of people who can bulk up really quickly, like in 2-3 months, especially if he's got Hollywood dieticians.
    This kind of bulking only works when they are dedicated; it takes a lot of discipline to do it in that time frame, and currently there is no evidence to imply Pattison has that dedication. Quite the opposite, in fact. Also if he listens to the dietician as well as he did the personal trainer... what good will a dietician be?

Also there's a handful of Marvel Movie actors who bulked up for their first movie as a superhero and then let themselves go for each subsequent appearance. Isn't that worse?
    No. I think both scenarios are bad, but I give more credit to the person who tried, succeeded and stopped, than the one who never tried.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

a) looking awesome
    b) you didn't achieve that accidentally, though. You maybe downplaying it, but that body still takes dedication and focus. You still had focus, still had dedication, even if you had no specific guidance. Even someone with a natural disposition to gain muscle has to work on it a little, and Pattison's body type is NOT that.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

"Because the only reason that they even have those jobs(no matter how easy or difficult they may wind up being...) to start with is this actor playing this character in a well-funded "Big Studio" film.
    Oh what rubbish. Sorry to be blunt, but what utter rubbish! They don't "owe" their job to Robert Pattison, that's hugely insulting to their craft and skill. They got hired on their own merit, and it's belittling to imply they should have "gratitude" to Pattison (on any level). Batman was happening regardless of him, this is not some indie movie that only got finance because of the star name attached to it (at which point you would have, on some level, a point). And the fact on top of earning that job for themselves, they have to pick up the slack of the guy paid vastly more... you need to have more respect for the crew. They are artists, just like actors.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Seems like losing the forest for the trees if you are looking at it any other way. Without that set of central pieces, we don't even have a conversation to go into.

Never mind that if you are looking at the story they have said they are telling and think that a well-conditioned Bruce Wayne is anything even remotely like "Important...", you are probably ignoring everything that this film will most likely actually be remembered for years from now.
    They have the job because WB wants to make a Batman movie not because of RP if he left tomorrow he'd be replaced fast because 100 actors put their names out.

This boy is full of Soy. So we went from one of the most manliest of English Batman actors to the complete opposite direction?

Wimpiest Batman that will ever be.

Extraordinary Member

The jury is still out on that.

I'm looking for where the guys mentioned seriously outclassed The Lighthouse. Off the top of my head? I don't know that there is even one example. Never mind one example for each of them.
    Really? I haven't seen The Lighthouse. But I think those guys had a more serious reputation than Pattison by the time they took on the role.

Astonishing Member

Can I also be honest in that I think Batman (in costume) is not that hard a role? You can create the scary presence with Hollywood magic and speak in a low gravelly voice. Most decent actors can nail Batman.

It's Bruce Wayne that's the harder role, which I don't think every actor has nailed all of the time. But if it's Batman in costume most of the movie, he'll get praised for it.

Being in The Lighthouse doesn’t mean anything, except that Pattinson had the good fortune to be cast opposite William DaFoe.

BANNED

Can I also be honest in that I think Batman (in costume) is not that hard a role? You can create the scary presence with Hollywood magic and speak in a low gravelly voice. Most decent actors can nail Batman.

It's Bruce Wayne that's the harder role, which I don't think every actor has nailed all of the time. But if it's Batman in costume most of the movie, he'll get praised for it.
    Yeah the key to playing Batman is finding a perfect divide between BM and BW. but imo the actor who did this the best was Keaton, then Affleck after that. But it’s up for interpretation.

We know this is a Batman early in his career. But when it comes to the complete concept we are grasping at straws here.

Let’s be honest, Batman is almost unrivaled when it comes to characters who have different interpretations. So many fans have wildly different prerequisites for how they want the character to be portrayed. this is mostly unique to comic characters but Batman usually takes the cake. I could have an idea for how I want Batman to be portrayed in a story, and someone else could have a complete opposite idea, and neither of them would be wrong. Are we really so afraid of a take on Batman that challenges what we are comfortable with? Hasn’t that been Batman’s entire history? There are the core fundamentals that make it his character but through that, hundreds of characterizations.

In my opinion, from what I’ve gathered from interviews and info about the film, Pattinson seems to have a solid grip on how he wants to portray his Batman. With some versions of Batman, a consistent workout regimen might be crucial. But I don’t think it’s fair to disqualify a take on Batman just because we have heard Pattinson isn’t working out. We have already accepted so many takes on the character, I don’t think any of us, even the most hardcore Bat fans, can claim he is not being true to the character. Especially when the movie isn’t finished and we haven’t seen anything from it aside from some photos.

Ultimately we won't see how this all plays out till the film's debut... still, interesting to debate.
    #watchthisspace
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-15-2020 at 09:00 AM.