Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Around where I live we have such lovely places as Brookfield, Elm Grove, Oak Creek, New Berlin and Menomonee Falls. These places sound boring as F***. Because they are. Places people live usually are. Boring is safe and familiar. And we tend to name places for things that happened there, people that lived there before us, or natural features that we see there.
    Indeed. God help you if you ever live by a glen. Glenbrook, Glenview, Forest Glen, Homer Glen, etc.

For that matter, in Chicago alone there's Edgewater, Lakeview, South Shore, and Lower West Side. One just needs to take a good guess why they were all named that way.

Astonishing Member

Personally I absolutely hated Rowling's goofy, twee-sounding naming conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Game of Thrones isn't straight-up fantasy like those other properties you mention. It's fantasy that's more grounded in reality, medieval times with a twist. Martin's naming of places isn't "bad," it's purposefully direct/simple, familiarity is intentional. Not everything in fantasy has to sound like something you could just as easily draw from a random fantasy name generator.

Also, it's somewhat ballsy to hold up Harry Potter stuff like it's much better. "Remus Lupin?" Gee, I wonder what he's going to turn out to be. "Diagon Alley," no cheese there. "Hogwarts?" Hog + warts. Wart hog. "Sirius Black," hmmm, I wonder what our first impression of him is designed to be. Not going to go deeper than that (especially since those are essentially children/YA books, so the cheese is forgiven) but come on.
    Vulcan and Romulus don't exactly stand out as original either.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Vulcan and Romulus don't exactly stand out as original either.
    Hah, I just remembered that Star Trek has The Badlands, which was prominent in DS9 and the site of Voyager's "disappearance" in their pilot episode. One can imagine it got that name because it was, well, bad for everyone inside.

The name I hated the most was the Briar Patch from Insurrection. It was meant to sound whimsical and from the old Uncle Remus stories, but then Riker references Br'er Rabbit, forgetting to wink at the audience. Such a corny literary reference that was supposed to sound cute and clever. From the same minds that had Picard and Worf singing Gilbert & Sullivan for that youth appeal.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Winterfell... Volantis...

It makes little difference to me. Not everything in every fantasy book needs to be purely made up and conjured from thin air. I'm fine with his more "normal" sounding names. He had plenty of creative fantasy names mixed in to not make this an issue.

It's fantasy. There can be a mix. Not everything has to be made up every single time. Yuhugrundheim or Snowy Watch, doesn't much matter to me as long as it makes enough sense for the story they're in.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I have to put Fantasy / Sci Fi with iffy names down. Can't read it. LOT, GoT and Dune are doing just fine

BANNED

The names are not that bad but I can see where valentis is coming from. There were two places in Thrones called Castle Black and Casterly Rock. It was confusing.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Historically names of people and places are rooted in words with a meaning, Tolkein was a master linguist and Martin is not, so most places have English roots in the name. Nothing wrong with that. It's realistic, accessible, and full of symbolism.

Look at place names like Manchester, Westchester, etc.:

"The English place-name Chester, and the suffixes -chester, -caster and -cester (old -ceaster), are commonly indications that the place is the site of a Roman castrum, meaning a military camp or fort (cf. Welsh caer), but it can also apply to the site of a pre-historic fort"

Plus the symbolic value adds a lot. Starfall, King's Landing, those names invoke history and themes on purpose.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Half the locations in Skyrim are the same.

Whiterun
    Windhelm
    Solitude
    Dawnstar
    Honeyside
    Mistveil

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The name I hated the most was the Briar Patch from Insurrection. It was meant to sound whimsical and from the old Uncle Remus stories, but then Riker references Br'er Rabbit, forgetting to wink at the audience. Such a corny literary reference that was supposed to sound cute and clever. From the same minds that had Picard and Worf singing Gilbert & Sullivan for that youth appeal.
    I don't know what it is, but so many writers go nuts for Gilbert & Sullivan. When they reference them, they make it so aggressive and for some reason everyone in the universe is also a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan. The worst example I can think of was the episode of the West Wing where there is a thru line in one of the episodes where all of the characters on and off would argue over whether or not one of the songs was from Penzance or Pinafore and then finding out that Sam was recording secretary of the Princeton Gilbert and Sullivan Society, which may be the nerdiest thing ever mentioned in the show. I get it if one of the characters is a fan, but literally every main character and two side characters are involved in this debate through the episode.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever encountered Gilbert & Sullivan in the real world, but on TV you'd think they were the end all be all of pop culture.

Astonishing Member

I absolutely dig those simple names. They sound good to my ears in englisch and in the German translation.

The Lotr names are Cool, too, by the way. The best names are from Star Wars, even if they are gibberish.

The Harry Potter ones...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I absolutely dig those simple names. They sound good to my ears in englisch and in the German translation.

The Lotr names are Cool, too, by the way. The best names are from Star Wars, even if they are gibberish.

The Harry Potter ones...not so much.
    The sexism/child-ya dismissal could be real for the Wizarding World.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    The names are not that bad but I can see where valentis is coming from. There were two places in Thrones called Castle Black and Casterly Rock. It was confusing.
    If you think that is confusing, try High Garden and Water Gardens. Two places that have nothing to do with eachother with similar names in Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't know what it is, but so many writers go nuts for Gilbert & Sullivan. When they reference them, they make it so aggressive and for some reason everyone in the universe is also a fan of Gilbert & Sullivan. The worst example I can think of was the episode of the West Wing where there is a thru line in one of the episodes where all of the characters on and off would argue over whether or not one of the songs was from Penzance or Pinafore and then finding out that Sam was recording secretary of the Princeton Gilbert and Sullivan Society, which may be the nerdiest thing ever mentioned in the show. I get it if one of the characters is a fan, but literally every main character and two side characters are involved in this debate through the episode.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever encountered Gilbert & Sullivan in the real world, but on TV you'd think they were the end all be all of pop culture.
    My dad was the pianist for the local amateur Gilbert & Sullivan society and I‘ve seen all of them. Kill... me.