Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Talking Do you consider the Bruce and Barbra relationship canon in the animated series?

Hi guys

One of my favorite animated cartoons is Batman: The Animated Series. But there was one thing that made me scratch my head ever since I heard about it
    and that the relationship between Bruce and Barbra. The first time this relationship was known to us was in the Batman Beyond 2.0 comic, where we learn that Barbra is pregnant with Bruce's son.

This is a bold move, not only is this relationship is not canon in the comics, but it's also bizarre. While it did create drama between the bat family and in the series, it made little sense since it was teased that Bruce will have a relationship with Selena and that Dick and Barbara will go on together, also Barbra has been with the Bat family even after Dick left for bludhaven and she didn't seem depress, granted I haven't seen all of the episodes off the third season but I remember that things were going on normally. Besides there are episodes that don't have Batgirl in them, we can say that in one of these episodes she went to visit Dick.

But what I want to know is:

Do you consider the Bruce and Barbra relationship canon in the animated series or do you consider the comics like Batman Beyond 2.0 to be their own universe?

Personally, I consider it separate, because this relationship is flawed like I mentioned earlier.

Most (not all, but most) around here pretend it never happened. So, yeah, its not really a popular ship around here. Or most places I've seen, for that matter.

Bruce Timm (one of the creators of the series) also stuck it in the animated film The Killing Joke, which garnered a lot of flack, and gave a lot of people flashbacks to one of the few things they did NOT like about BTAS.

On another, if somewhat related note; Paul Dini (other major creator of the DCAU) has finally brought Jason Todd to the DCAU in Batman: The Adventure Continues (though, the exact time it takes place is a bit of a head scratcher).

Its canon within the animated series and that universe, but not canon within the main comics universe. The current Batman Beyond comic reflects current comic canon, but the idea that it is canon is a illusion. Beyond certainly isn't dictating the future of the DCU.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-14-2020 at 10:15 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

In TAS it makes sense for them to fall for one another; Dick was out of the picture and it was just those two always together.

I mean they understand one another's secret life, they're both single and hot bodies are naturally drawn to one another - that's science

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    In TAS it makes sense for them to fall for one another; Dick was out of the picture and it was just those two always together.

I mean they understand one another's secret life, they're both single and hot bodies are naturally drawn to one another - that's science
    I disagree, It made no sense.

1- It was teased that Batman will eventually be with Selena, see Perchance to dream and other episodes to see that they had chemistry.
    2- Barbra has been with the Bat family even after Dick left for bludhaven and she didn't seem depress or any signs that she needs support.
    3- Even if we say that they know each other's secret lives, one can make the argument that Barbra might have went to see Dick in bludhaven in the episodes that she wasn't in them.
    4- If we say that BTAS is connected to the DC animated universe, then that means that Batman had other, more important things to worry about then Barbara's loneliness, like the Justice League and the superhuman crisis in Justice League Unlimited.

So as you can see, this move does not make sense and is flawed on many levels.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

it is canon, there's an episode of TNBA where they talk about it while having dinner

Of course it is canon to that series, I mean we saw it in the series itself.

I try to just forget it happened to be honest...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    it is canon, there's an episode of TNBA where they talk about it while having dinner
    Do you remember which episode it was?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I remember something like that happened in the movie "Batman: the mystery of Batwoman", where Barbara called Bruce to say to him she was back in town for two entire weeks; what the hell were the writers thinking, when they wrote that dialogue in that way?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I remember something like that happened in the movie "Batman: the mystery of Batwoman", where Barbara called Bruce to say to him she was back in town for two entire weeks; what the hell were the writers thinking, when they wrote that dialogue in that way?

That felt cringy.........
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 05-15-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Why? After all Barbara is only the daughter of Batman's best friend and the fiancée (or a love interest) of Bruce's ward/adopted son, so how could there be anything wrong in their relationship?
    Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post

“Wouldn’t it be messed up if we did this? Hahaha lets do it!”
    There’s a ton of horny stuff in the DCAU that would fly over kids heads but is clearly meant to be understood by adults. They knew what they were doing. Heck Timm specifically said they did it because it was so messed up, they liked the tabooness of it.

Incredible Member

Terrible misstep by the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Wouldn’t it be messed up if we did this? Hahaha lets do it!”
    There’s a ton of horny stuff in the DCAU that would fly over kids heads but is clearly meant to be understood by adults. They knew what they were doing. Heck Timm specifically said they did it because it was so messed up, they liked the tabooness of it.
    I also read somewhere that Timm was inspired in part by the dynamic between Batman and Batgirl in the 60's show.