Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post What does "One True Phoenix" mean?

Jean Grey and Rachel Summers are described with this... title(?) One True Phoenix...

What does that mean? What does it mean to be the One True Phoenix, if there's any contexts to that at all. It also sounds like something created because it sounded awesome, and... not too much thought was given as to an actual definition.

Any answers are welcomed!

BANNED

they're just a highly compatible host

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    they're just a highly compatible host
    LOL see I'm asking cuz of an animator that is creating a fan collab Marvel Universe, and she's created her own Phoenix story (which is pretty sweet!). She came up with two definitions, one for Jean Grey, and the other definition, for the X-Man possessed by the Phoenix's ultimate Cosmic Rival. Her ideas kick's ass imo but I wanted to make sure her ideas sync with canon on some level. Also it seems there's no true context to what a "One True Phoenix" is, so... I guess there is wiggle room for making **** up lol

Astonishing Member

Jean will always be the one true Phoenix in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    LOL see I'm asking cuz of an animator that is creating a fan collab Marvel Universe, and she's created her own Phoenix story (which is pretty sweet!). She came up with two definitions, one for Jean Grey, and the other definition, for the X-Man possessed by the Phoenix's ultimate Cosmic Rival. Her ideas kick's ass imo but I wanted to make sure her ideas sync with canon on some level. Also it seems there's no true context to what a "One True Phoenix" is, so... I guess there is wiggle room for making **** up lol
    Jean is the One true Host. I believe Rachel called herself that because her mother was dead and she was taking up the Phoenix mantle, never thinking it would come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    YES! Me too!

3 Phoenix throughout time
    5 Phoenix to battle it out
    But one True Phoenix to Rule them all

Best I got there
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeeeeah, but what does that actually mean by definition, is what I'm asking. What does it mean to be a "one true phoenix", or "true phoenix"?

BANNED

Rachel was called the one true Phoenix because she was a host longer than anyone else. But is that even an official term by any means, or just fans talking about their favorite Phoenix hosts?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Jean is the One true Host. I believe Rachel called herself that because her mother was dead and she was taking up the Phoenix mantle, never thinking it would come to an end.
    See, everyone is just saying "Oh it's Jean" without any defining context. I read Wikipedia, and the Marvel wiki, which never define the term. Pretend I know nothing hardly about the X-Men, and I just got into the comics, and came here with this question. I need it answered like that.

I asked the animator and she basically said it's just a term the writers made up to sound good, but her definition of "One True Phoenix" (concerning Jean Grey in her series) is the host in which, through a symbiotically psionic connection, allowed the Phoenix to heal and become whole again.

NOW... she has another definition, reserved for the X-Man who bonds with the new rivaling Cosmic Entity. He is the "One True Phoenix" due to some sort of cosmic evolution(?) he causes(?), and how he is related to the origins of this new Cosmic Entity. And something, something cosmic DNA/Genetics, also. And... its something else he does or is, that makes him a True Phoenix in his own wright. I can't repeat what she said of his story, all that metaphysics, concept technology, mathematics and **** is waaaaaaay over my head LOL

But she still explained it to me, her definition. I need that, but from Marvel's perspective. I'm a little confused.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    Jean Grey and Rachel Summers are described with this... title(?) One True Phoenix...

What does that mean? What does it mean to be the One True Phoenix, if there's any contexts to that at all. It also sounds like something created because it sounded awesome, and... not too much thought was given as to an actual definition.

Any answers are welcomed!
    My grandfather had a saying. You can jump in the water, call yourself a fish, grow gills and breathe through them, swim around to the deepest depths and make yourself a home there. But no matter what you do, you will never become one with the water.

To me that is what the "One True Phoenix" means. After all of the various iterations, side stories, retcons, flashbacks, future projections, what ifs and what-abouts are done, after every conceivable character has wielded its power, even after they show us the face of the entity itself, only two people in all existence since the dawn of the cosmos can ever say that their life essence and the essence of the Phoenix is indistinguishable. If the Creator were to one day express a longing to see the Phoenix and summon it to appear in the presence of the Almighty, Jean, Rachel or the Phoenix Force could appear -- whether one of the three, or all of the three -- and the Creator would be content.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    My grandfather had a saying. You can jump in the water, call yourself a fish, grow gills and breathe through them, swim around to the deepest depths and make yourself a home there. But no matter what you do, you will never become one with the water.

To me that is what the "One True Phoenix" means. After all of the various iterations, side stories, retcons, flashbacks, future projections, what ifs and what-abouts are done, after every conceivable character has wielded its power, even after they show us the face of the entity itself, only two people in all existence since the dawn of the cosmos can ever say that their life essence and the essence of the Phoenix is indistinguishable. If the Creator were to one day express a longing to see the Phoenix and summon it to appear in the presence of the Almighty, Jean, Rachel or the Phoenix Force could appear -- whether one of the three, or all of the three -- and the Creator would be content.
    this is what the white phoenix is, where jean/phoenix become one entity

maybe, just maybe you can say the "one true phoenix" has the potential to become the White Phoenix

BANNED

i gave the answer above, it's nothing mroe that a higly compatible phoenix host

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

This is what the "white pheonix of the crown" was. Jean and phoenix had become one entity

20200511_181753.jpg
    Thanos Phoenix
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Has Doctor Doom possessed the Phoenix Force yet?

BANNED

no