"Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No Booster Gold?
    I can't believe I forgot Booster!!!!
    One of THE best run in comics.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

He did what many thought was impossible and fixed Hawkman. Not only did he fix him he then kicked off the longest running Hawkman series DC ever had. Than as in usual DC fashion they let the latter writers come in and scrap it all again because they wanted the Hawkworld version back (which has been proven over and over in the last decade to not be the version most fans want), and the whole thing is a giant mess again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    He did what many thought was impossible and fixed Hawkman. Not only did he fix him he then kicked off the longest running Hawkman series DC ever had. Than as in usual DC fashion they let the latter writers come in and scrap it all again because they wanted the Hawkworld version back (which has been proven over and over in the last decade to not be the version most fans want), and the whole thing is a giant mess again.
    I did like the Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti written books.

But yeah, sorry longtime DC fans, but the modern take on the golden age character overshadowed the silver age take by that point for me.

I would have left the Shayera Hawkwoman live on concurrently with the younger Kendra version though. (She was popular due to the Cartoon)

Buts that’s just my opinion.

Astonishing Member

I still can't shake the feeling that John's wanted to do something different at the conclusion of Doomsday Clock. I don't think he brought back original Wally for what he is doing now. I also really don't believe he had Bendis' version of the Legion in mind either. It felt like the honcho's went to Geoff with the "help us Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope" and somewhere along the way there was a change in plans. Bendis was given the Legion and Wally was spun elsewhere as well. I really love John's version of the Legion because it is the Legion I grew up with (the Superboy and the Legion thru Levitz version) without the 5YL hardships. If Geoff ever reclaims the Iron Throne of DC I hope we get to see him write that version of the Legion again. "My Lightning Lad" is the father of Graym and Garridan/Validus, that's the one that I miss. I am collecting the Bendis Legion but it is not the Legion I have the closest connection to or the version that I wanted and was promised/teased in Doomsday Clock. However while waiting for the Bendis run to run it's course, if Geoff could take back over JSA that would be nice but only if he could reclaim, Mr. Terrific, Star Girl and Power Girl. I would also like if he could find a way to bring Jade/Infinity Inc back. DC imho would be best if they let Geoff captain the ship but in my ideal version he would direct the entire line but personally write Green Lantern, the Legion of Super Heroes and the Justice Society of America, which happen to be my three favorite DC franchises.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 05-18-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I have to give Johns credit for reviving and rebooting Power Girl; but he's really the last person who should write her, he just doesn't get her at all. Nor does he like her. To be fair, he himself admitted as much before he ever put her on JSA. And he keeps on proving how much he doesn't get her by writing her as whiny and useless. Still, he does get the credit for her revival, such as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I have to give Johns credit for reviving and rebooting Power Girl; but he's really the last person who should write her, he just doesn't get her at all. Nor does he like her. To be fair, he himself admitted as much before he ever put her on JSA. And he keeps on proving how much he doesn't get her by writing her as whiny and useless. Still, he does get the credit for her revival, such as it was.
    That surprises me. The team was huge at that point that he shouldn't have had to write ANY characters that he didn't love... Personally i always felt his fixation on Power Girl was when the series started to decline. It was good that she got her Earth 2 Kryptonian cousin origin back... and i think he did all that JUST to bolster the Infinite Crisis story... but yeah, he didn't write her very interesting, and as i'm not a fan of PG in the first place, going from focusing on her, to the OYL killed the title for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    JSA is a mixed bag.

When they say JSA rebirth... they specifically call out that he restarted a new volume with a new team AFTER a successful 80+ issue run. Honestly speaking... that rebirth SUCKED. It was the post OYL where they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel for legacies to be the 'new' rookies while characters like Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder were the new mentors and the old mentors are just background if that.

Johns deserves a lot of praise for the FIRST run that was an insane success... It was started by Robinson but he did the lions share of that volume... but the OYL crew is pretty much when I stopped reading. When characters like Jay, Alan, Wildcat Hawkman are all benched for cahracters like a new Captain Steel and Judomaster... Ughhh...

Remember it's the volume that put Alan in THIS...

Now the first JSA run... one of my favorites of all time... but the rebirth??? I actually rank it lower than Superboy Prime.
    That costume looks uncomfortable. How does he move? Or just move his head?

Must be hard to cosplay with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    That costume looks uncomfortable. How does he move? Or just move his head?

Must be hard to cosplay with.
    I think he wore it because he HAD a broken neck

That was Marc Guggenheim's doing, I believe.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

That surprises me. The team was huge at that point that he shouldn't have had to write ANY characters that he didn't love... Personally i always felt his fixation on Power Girl was when the series started to decline. It was good that she got her Earth 2 Kryptonian cousin origin back... and i think he did all that JUST to bolster the Infinite Crisis story... but yeah, he didn't write her very interesting, and as i'm not a fan of PG in the first place, going from focusing on her, to the OYL killed the title for me.
    Well, for months before he finally put PG on the JSA, he was sort of very much asked for that move on the old DCMB. He had explained before there that he didn't like her or understand why others do...but then he did in fact put her on the team, and later retconned her again. True, his stories involving her did show that he failed to get her appeal, which certainly wasn't in having a member who does little when it counts other than cry and need to be rescued, (try doing that with Wonder Woman, Geoff). That whole exercise in Thy Kingdom Come was a huge hit at PG herself, who never would act like either version he presented in that storyline.

Extraordinary Member

Didn’t he bring her on the team because Black Canary was already in Birds of Prey, but then Ollie came back and the writer wanted to have her in the Green Arrow title.

But does he get credit for 'rebirthing' it? It was running almost a year before he took it over?
    Actually, in an interview somewhere Geoff mentioned that he was brought on board to help script David Goyer's over plots. It goes like this: DC had announced James Robinson and David Goyer as co-writers, but in truth Robinson helped outline the overall plot for 12 issues with Goyer, and then got busy in Hollywood. So after one issue, Goyer was left to script the first year, alone, based on their outline.

But after a few weeks he was also too busy to do any actual scripting, so DC brought in Geoff as a ghost-writer in the second or third issue. The first issue he's credited on as a co-writer, he wrote almost the entire script working from Goyer's notes - so DC decided his name should, you know, be in the comic. After that he continued plotting the series with Goyer, but the bulk of it was him writing solo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Actually, in an interview somewhere Geoff mentioned that he was brought on board to help script David Goyer's over plots. It goes like this: DC had announced James Robinson and David Goyer as co-writers, but in truth Robinson helped outline the overall plot for 12 issues with Goyer, and then got busy in Hollywood. So after one issue, Goyer was left to script the first year, alone, based on their outline.

But after a few weeks he was also too busy to do any actual scripting, so DC brought in Geoff as a ghost-writer in the second or third issue. The first issue he's credited on as a co-writer, he wrote almost the entire script working from Goyer's notes - so DC decided his name should, you know, be in the comic. After that he continued plotting the series with Goyer, but the bulk of it was him writing solo.
    While I liked Geoff’s JSA, you could tell Sand was Robinson’s POV character, but after Geoff took over it became Courtney.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Didn’t he bring her on the team because Black Canary was already in Birds of Prey, but then Ollie came back and the writer wanted to have her in the Green Arrow title.
    I'm not sure Johns ever said why he brought PG on, but that might have had something to do with it. More, though, he was indeed pushed by fans on the DCMB back in the day to do so, and it made sense to replace Canary with a character that had a history with the team. So, double win for him, I suppose.